AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

52 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I did enjoy how funny Finn was. Boyega's got some solid comedic chops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was a lot funnier than I expected. Kasdan and Abrams are a great team for quick little quips and jabs, and they were a perfect fit for this sort of fun adventure.

• Like 6

I wanted to see the massacre that Kylo Ren did at the Jedi temple. I wanted to know why Han and Leia sent him there in the first place. I wanted to know why he turned to the dark side, was he influenced by a sith or was he just an evil kid at heart etc.

There just seemed to be very little exposition regarding any of the characters really.

I didn't have a problem believing a child of Anakin's age could win a podrace at his age or fly a Naboo fighter into battle.  I didn't have a problem believing farm-boy Luke could pilot an X-wing into a dogfight and make the one in a million shot.  I didn't have a problem believing Rey, in a life or death situation, has Force abilities that enhance her normal range of abilities.  We saw her kick ass with that staff back on Jakku when those people tried to steal BB8.  KR was injured, fairly significantly since they made a point of how powerful Chewy's weapon was, plus Finn's hit on his shoulder (?).  Not even clear he was entirely trying to kill her.

We saw the moment Rey's abilities "awoke."  She was calm, focused and centered, like Qui-Gon and Yoda said to be(did someone teach her that at some point?  didn't KR mention an island when he was pulling thoughts from her head...hmmm...).  We know that is the best way to tap into the Force.  Honestly, that was one of my favorite parts.  I find your lack of faith...uh, disappointing. 

Edited by sabrecmc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I wanted to see the massacre that Kylo Ren did at the Jedi temple. I wanted to know why Han and Leia sent him there in the first place. I wanted to know why he turned to the dark side, was he influenced by a sith or was he just an evil kid at heart etc.

There just seemed to be very little exposition regarding any of the characters really.

That's why there are two more episodes. 

Come on dude, this is Star Wars 101.

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

Eh, I get what you guys are saying but it still doesn't work for me. I don't think they showed the injury being enough of a hinderance while fighting. Besides that, Finn and Rey were both simply too crafty with it despite never touching it before (Finn's brief fight earlier aside). Also, hasn't Kylo been training since childhood? One would expect him to be pretty damn good at this point. It's not like he started doing this last month. Throughout the entire movie, he's shown to have incredible use of the Force. Not trying to nitpick but I simply couldn't stop thinking about how ineffectual Kylo was made to look there.

That said, Rey getting the saber was a great moment.

There is also the factor that Kylo wasn't 100% trying to win the fight. He wasn't trying to kill Rey. When he stops and tells her that she needs training he probably could have killed her if he went all out instead.

Edited by Tony Danza
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

That's why there are two more episodes. 

Come on dude, this is Star Wars 101.

I know, i know. I didn't mean they needed to explain EVERYTHING but there really was zero exposition for any of the characters. I just think you would care more about them, and the film itself, if you felt like you knew and understood them more.

Just now, RichWS said:

I did love Chewie taking motherfuckers out after Han dies.

That was awesome. I wanted him to go truly apeshit and lay waste to everyone in there..lol. Honestly i woundn't have been mad if the final fight was Chewie destroying Ren in a Revenant-style bear attack.

2 minutes ago, Tony Danza said:

There is also the factor that Kylo wasn't 100% trying to win the fight. He wasn't trying to kill Rey. When he stops and tells her that she needs training he probably could have killed her instead if he went all out.

Yeah his explicit orders were to bring her to Snoke. So as he bests her, he taunts her with the dark side. If he wanted to kill her, he could've just dug his crossguard beam into her. Perfect opportunity tbh.

42 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

He scared the shit out of me at th e beginning.  

Plus he isn't a Vadar. He is having internal struggles about his father. People forget Vadar before a New Hope had been a Sith for 20 years plus. He was fully committed to the dark side.

• Like 1

Thirty-two years ago my father took me to see Return of the Jedi. I was four and have no recollection of the show, just a faint memory of holding his hand in the street afterwards. Sitting down last night to watch the sequel (at my favourite one screen cinema in small town Ontario) these many years later was as satisfying a moment as pop culture has ever given me.

On the whole, I wasn't disappointed. The new ensemble is excellent, the action moved well (I felt no second act sluggishness) and the humour worked to a degree that I don't think any of the previous six achieved. Ridley is a keeper; I feel extremely confident with her at the centre of a trilogy.

I have some nerdy quibbles that people have already brought up but we've got a couple of years to chew on those so I'll leave them aside. My only serious down note is that the destruction of the super duper death star was perfunctory and predictable. Really would've liked a more original third act. I think I need a little distance from the movie before deciding whether the other homages to the OT overwhelmed what was new here.

As a last point, I had no problem with how Han's death was handled (although was obviously saddened by it). He died trying to save his son, which is as fine a denouement as any. I really do hope he stays gone. This was fine. I'm also pleased that they didn't try to make Kylo Ren's parentage a huge reveal. "I am your father" can't be redone and they shouldn't try.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I did love Chewie taking motherfuckers out after Han dies.

I hope we don't lose Chewie now that Han is gone. Peter Mayhew can barely walk anymore. I hope Luke, Chewie, the droids and Leia are prevelant in the next 2 films. I wouldn't expect them to be in 10,11 and 12 as they will probably go in different directions i would think with the story.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Let's face it, this movie gave Chewy more and greater moments than the whole OT combined. And I loves me the OT (and Chewy in it).

Yep. Given Peter Mayhew's physical condition I thought Chewbacca would just be a cameo, but it felt like he was given more to do than in the originals, which stunned me. 

I have no idea how much of that performance was Mayhew and how much was stunt doubles but it looks like we are getting to keep Chewy for a while.

Did you like the movie Tele?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I know, i know. I didn't mean they needed to explain EVERYTHING but there really was zero exposition for any of the characters. I just think you would care more about them, and the film itself, if you felt like you knew and understood them more.

I on some Mucinex right now, so I guess I am doped up some, so please don't take this as an attack :P 

But let's go down the characters that supposedly didn't get any exposition about them

Rey - left on Jakku by her parents and has stayed there as a scavenger because she feels they are coming back for her.  She is constantly looking to the sky any time a ship comes by so you know she is lonely and is waiting.  They show her fixing things left and right and able to talk to droids and wookies, so she is experienced in a lot of things.  This was said and shown IN THE MOVIE, so you literally know 99% of her life except for her parents which we probably all have figured out

Finn- was taken as a baby to be trained and brought up as nothing but a Stormtrooper, so much so he had a number, not a name.  again said IN THE MOVIE, so just like Rey you literally know 99% of his life except for his parents, which may not lead to anything, but still you know his entire life

Kylo Ren/Ben Solo - son of Han and Leia, has force connections and is an "angry" kid which is why Leia sent him to be trained by Luke.  He gets seduced by Snoke and becomes Kylo Ren.  again all said IN THE MOVIE.  So you literally know 99% of his life except for how Snoke turned him, which better be shown in the next films

So to say there was zero exposition for any of the characters is kind of a stretch.

Now I am not saying that should make you care for any of the characters.  Maybe the movie's other issues for you made you not care about them and hey that's perfectly cool.  But you can't say they didn't tell you about any of the characters really other than Poe which we just know is the awesome Resistance pilot.  I'll give you that.

ok rant over, and didn't mean to come off mean if I did

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Yep. Given Peter Mayhew's physical condition I thought Chewbacca would just be a cameo, but it felt like he was given more to do than in the originals, which stunned me. 

I have no idea how much of that performance was Mayhew and how much was stunt doubles but it looks like we are getting to keep Chewy for a while.

Did you like the movie Tele?

I may be totally wrong here but i was looking for this, i think some of the scenes involving Chewie walking was actually cgi legs. You can see it if you look closely.

Like i said, i may be wrong but it would explain how Chewie could walk and run about, something Mayhew can't anymore.

1 minute ago, 75live said:

Ben Solo

Anyone else heard this?

In the movie I swear Han yelled BEN!, but afterwards I could find no mention anywhere online of his name being Ben, and I figured my hearing is bad.