CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

3 minutes ago, Giesi said:

So is the 40m Monday locked? Oh and btw, how to post a GIF?

It could be anywhere from 39-41M, though DL reported 40-40.2M. Somewhere in that ball park.

To post a gif, the easiest way I do it is click the button "insert other media", then hit photo from url, then copy and paste url from the site the gif is on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

Well, it opened on a Tuesday. The day before Independence Day.

Would be hilarious/legendary for a film that released the previous week to beat the record held by a film that released on that day.

Well its second week-end will probably be like #5-#7 if it was an opening week-end. That's legendary.

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

IMAX/PLF tend to throw a wrench into the equation for mega openers on their first cheap Tuesday. Those tickets tend to not be discounted, so it hurts the potential jump. TA2 dropped over 70% on its first Monday and then still dropped around 1% on Tuesday. JW dropped 4% on Tuesday. The fact people are off work for the holidays might help, but then again that already helped the Monday number too so you never know.

By the way discount Tuesdays help because there are more admissions but they also are cheaper tickets so less dollars made. Doesn't it make the same in the end ? 

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If TFA makes over 1 billion OS that would be impressive considering how little the prequels made OS.

No need to put down the prequels like that. Making around 50% of its gross overseas (all three films during the time that the overseas market was pretty stable), is actually really good. Plus each subsequent film made more of its gross in other markets in general. 

• Like 1

Some cringeworthy shit on here the last few days. People need to accept that SW7 is not beating AVATAR worldwide, people need to stop putting down AVATAR'S run or inventing scenarios that make SW7 run more impressive that AVATAR's in some obscure way.

SW7 will probably take the domestic title, accept that and take it with humility.

• Like 6

Wow, speaking of Cheap Tuesday. Never realized this but the local independent chain Cinergy has $5 tickets today for its PLF "EPIC" screen (70 feet wide). Normally those tickets are $14. The 10 AM show is 75-80% full. Screen looks like it will be very full for all shows today including a 10:30 PM one.

What's even crazier is they are charging the same $5 price for tickets on much, much smaller screens. The EPIC screen is one hell of a deal today, damn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Some cringeworthy shit on here the last few days. People need to accept that SW7 is not beating AVATAR worldwide, people need to stop putting down AVATAR'S run or inventing scenarios that make SW7 run more impressive that AVATAR's in some obscure way.

SW7 will probably take the domestic title, accept that and take it with humility.

This may surprise you, but some people here actually may think that Avatar is a less enjoyable film and continue to be baffled by its unprecedented success.

If the dollar wasn't so strong, and if the economic shape of the EU/Russia/CIS/SA were better off then yes, TFA would have a great shot at beating Avatar's record.

Put it this way, if Avatar had the same run, right now, it'd gross $2.3 billion. That's how much stronger the dollar is right now.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Wow, speaking of Cheap Tuesday. Never realized this but the local independent chain Cinergy has $5 tickets today for its PLF "EPIC" screen (70 feet wide). Normally those tickets are $14. The 10 AM show is 75-80% full. Screen looks like it will be very full for all shows today including a 10:30 PM one.

What's even crazier is they are charging the same $5 price for tickets on much, much smaller screens. The EPIC screen is one hell of a deal today, damn.

Got 13$ tickets for 6.50 today.

I had to get 15 of them so saved a ton.

However I likely have to come to theater 1.5 hours early.

If you wondering why i did get not resereved.

It was full..........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

Put it this way, if Avatar had the same run, right now, it'd gross $2.3 billion. That's how much stronger the dollar is right now.

That's Cameron's genius - he timed Avatar's release to coincide with beneficial exchange rates.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

This may surprise you, but some people here actually may think that Avatar is a less enjoyable film and continue to be baffled by its unprecedented success.

If the dollar wasn't so strong, and if the economic shape of the EU/Russia/CIS/SA were better off then yes, TFA would have a great shot at beating Avatar's record.

A lot of ifs and what ifs, you could say the same for any film over history.

It looks like it could push 400M in the first week US/Canada. That's pretty mindblowing. If there's a good hold next weekend, that could put it into the mid 500M range. That's a very impressive 10 day run. Dontcha think? Internationally, we'll just have to see how it holds. I don't think anyone has a particularly good bead on that right now. It's early and I don't think we'll know much for awhile yet. 

• Like 1

I think CHRISTMAS DAY is going to be one of the biggest jaw dropping days we will see in some time.  Third biggest presale day following Previews and opening Friday night.  FAMILIES are going to come out in DROVES on Christmas Day.  My family had it planned months ago that we were going to it on Christmas Day.  Star Wars and Christmas is a perfect match.  Combine that the Star Wars phenomenon is somehow now an uber-phenomenon and the new releases on Christmas day aren't too formidable, I see a Christmas Day that will crash the servers more often than was Star Wars normally does. LOL

• Like 2

Just now, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

I think CHRISTMAS DAY is going to be one of the biggest jaw dropping days we will see in some time.  Third biggest presale day following Previews and opening Friday night.  FAMILIES are going to come out in DROVES on Christmas Day.  My family had it planned months ago that we were going to it on Christmas Day.  Star Wars and Christmas is a perfect match.  Combine that the Star Wars phenomenon is somehow now an uber-phenomenon and the new releases on Christmas day aren't too formidable, I see a Christmas Day that will crash the servers more often than was Star Wars normally does. LOL

What about the day after Christmas though? Avatar jumped 107% on Christmas Day, then jumped another 22% on Saturday. What if the same thing happens with TFA? :ph34r:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stripe said:

How do you know?

It can! I don't think it will do that much, but it nailed Avatar's Sunday and Monday drops.

You already got the best opening, now you want the best legs too? That's just greed, son.

I think once the initial demand days are over, we'll begin to see more "normal" drops.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

What about the day after Christmas though? Avatar jumped 107% on Christmas Day, then jumped another 22% on Saturday. What if the same thing happens with TFA? :ph34r:

Well that would be just plain crazy ridiculous so with the way things are going it will probably happen.:D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smerfy01 said:

Add in expanding markets and it would probably make around 2.7 lol. The quality of avatar or whether it 'deserved' it's gross or not is completely irrelevant when it comes to how impressive it's run is

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Then 300m 2nd Weekend is confirmed.

• Like 2