CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

54 minutes ago, stripe said:

40M is beyond epic

Tuesday could stay flat or see a slight decrease. Wednesday kids are out of school. Can't see a drop over 10%.

Maybe... 

40M

38M

35M

25M - 138M

45M

47M

38M - 130M

248 + 268 = 516M 10days

41M

42M

38M

30M - 151M (398M) 

63M

65M

52M - 180M (578M) 

41M

38M

34M

26M - 139M (727M) 

51M

46M

33M - 130M (857M) 

850M+ by Jan 3

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

SW: TFA needs to make 765 M plus before 2016 starts to beat Universal for the yearly crown. It should have been easy had TGD not disappointed.

Would be amazing if it happened. $900 million+ after 17 days... just crazy...

1 hour ago, Baumer Fett said:

I'm just as excited as the rest of you but this is going to have slow down eventually, right?  I mean it can't behave like Avatar in terms of drops forever can it? 

Well, at this point, it looks like we are down the rabbit hole with TFA, or, err, into the black hole, so my mind is blown if this Monday range holds up, and who knows where this thing goes long-term.   Short-term it's obvious that the next two weeks will be massive and we are in the $600M+ range by Jan. 03, minimum.

Basic logic, however, would suggest that it simply can't have the same holds that Avatar had after Jan. 02 (those ridiculous weekend holds) because it may well be at ~$650M(!!) after Jan. 02, and there should not be the kind of additional demand that Avatar still had left (Avatar was at $352 comparatively on Jan. 03).  In other words, if one were sane, he might conclude that if TFA hits $650M (or more!) by Jan. 03, surely it soaked up most of its demand in the first 2.5 weeks.

But this is looking closer to SW 1977, where the potential audience for this thing has/will expand dramatically beyond most blockbuster comparisons AND its starting to feel like the repeat viewer audience is in the same (but smaller) ballpark as SW 1977, more akin to Titanic / Avatar repeats.   Coupled with IMAX's locked until mid-January and comparatively light competition for other screens, I personally think the real jaw-dropping moment for this film will be the weekend numbers for Jan. 08 and Jan. 15 -- that's when we will see precisely how far this thing can go, and whether it can punch through $1B (ridiculous to type that last phrase, but $1B is absolutely in play).

These are concepts that could put you in a padded room, in restraints, giggling maniacally, if you think about them too much . . . .

Edited by DarthOpeningGross
Failure to write basic english
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Chewy said:

"Let's hurry up with that Green Lantern movie, it's basically the same thing as Star Wars right" - some WB exec

"Hey who owns the rights to Flash Gordon?" - some Sony exec

"We need to green light more cosmic heroes set in space" - Kevin Feige

Speaking of, does anyone else think GOTG help set the stage for the GA to get excited for another space opera with fun characters? I'm not giving GOTG credit, just saying it whet their appetite.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RichWS said:

The race is interesting, but let's not act like Avatar wasn't a $400M film with tremendous hype. Saying "it would feel like a cheat" is strange.

Avatar had tremendous hype for hardcore movie nerds, most of the GA would have had no clue about that film 2 months prior to its release.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Speaking of, does anyone else think GOTG help set the stage for the GA to get excited for another space opera with fun characters? I'm not giving GOTG credit, just saying it whet their appetite.

And Feige would be wise to do that. I think a Nova film could be bad ass. Also hoping that Silver Surfer and the Fantastic Four will be brought back home. 

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Um, I think Star Wars set the stage for the GA to like GOTG.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

TFA would have been huge regardless of GOTG,  however GOTG Imo is the better movie. Probably the most enjoyable movie I've seen in the last few years

• Like 3

One billion domestic.

A film going into the top 10 all-time adjusted domestic during its first run... that'd be basically the biggest crowning achievement of box office that I've ever lived to witness and I don't think much can top that.

Edited by goldenstate5
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, spizzer said:

Another thing to consider. 

If this ends up getting a 4-5X multiplier, that would mean it indeed WAS backloaded for the holidays, and the OW was relatively deflated compared to the Summer period.  It's not a case of performing like a frontloaded blockbuster on OW and then having great legs; its a case of performing like your typical Winter blockbuster just on a far greater volume level than we've ever seen before. 

so a 300m OW if it was summer then. I could see that

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

One billion domestic.

A film going into the top 10 all-time adjusted domestic during its first run... that'd be basically the biggest crowning achievement of box office that I've ever lived to witness and I don't think much can top that.

Then you must only be 6 years old. Avatar almost earning 3b worldwide is a much bigger achievement than SW making 1b domestically lol. 

• Like 1