CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

3 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Got to agree with you on that one. A second sh*t Cameron movie earning 3b worldwide is a shock thats not going away anytime soon.

I usually don't comment on trollish posts like this one, but it's kind of sad that you didn't like Titanic or Avatar. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Clean and sober this season! Shame you continue to be an obnoxious dick after all this time, but we'll leave it at that. There's still time to change.

I'm confused now, why on earth would you even get offended by that? And what do you mean after all this time, I dont remember ever talking to you on here lol

1 minute ago, K1Rey said:

It still has yet to open in china. Can't wait to see what numbers that does.

It's not as big in China. It's not expected to do well as recent blockbusters because it's going against 3-4 new releases the following week which is a holiday.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Seriously only an American would think this. Star wars is massive, but if it fails to reach Avatars worldwide tally 6 years later with expanding markets on its side and being based on arguably the most iconic movie franchise in history, how can it be more impressive? Avatar was an original film, let's not put down its gross. Star wars is absolutely smashing it in some markets, avatar smashed it in practically every market, it's hard to get more impressive than that.

Also if you're 50 you're also saying it's more impressive than Titanic runs, which will end up with similar admissions sold in the US, and a shit load more overseas, makes no sense 

Stop making sense.

People can't handle it with the blue people or Big Jim.

• Like 1

What will the overseas to domestic split look like for this movie?  Out of the gate it's already 53 to 47, but that doesn't include a huge market in China.  

If it's ultimately 60/40, SW7 needs about 1.16 billion domestically to match Avatar WW.  That's with exchange rates heavily favoring the US dollar, and therefore hurting the overall BO cume.  I wouldn't say it's likely, but it seems possible given that SW7 looks more and more like a billion dollar domestic grosser with each passing day. 

I stopped posting about box office after the Box Office Mojo forums went the way of the dodo.  Not surprised that this is the run that brings me back.  Absolutely epic so far. 

• Like 2

In a thread about crazy domestic Monday numbers, it should surprise no one that when they say they are blown away by TFA's numbers, they are speaking domestically. The overseas numbers will do what they do, exchange rate being bad or not. But TFA is performing in ways I no longer thought possible. Not inflationary breaking records incrementally, but smashing them beyond all recognition. And really we are only at the beginning of the two weeks of Christmas. Just sit back and enjoy.

2 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

It's not as big in China. It's not expected to do well as recent blockbusters because it's going against 3-4 new releases the following week which is a holiday.

We can't say now that it's not going to be big in china. The hype around the world could really help it make a better B.O performance there.But they should really consider this moving a week backward so that it gets 1/1 spot and can have 2 weeks before 3 major releases open.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

It still has yet to open in china. Can't wait to see what numbers that does.

I don't feel that much hype among Chinese people, but that's just anecdotical.

Watching all the episodes with my friend now, she does not know SW at all so it's pretty funny. She liked Episode I... :ph34r:

Edited by Clef Ment

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Stop making sense.

People can't handle it with the blue people or Big Jim.

Sad thing is, if a film achieves what TFA has a few years from now, you can guarantee people talk down about this performance lol 

36 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I was like 4 when Titanic came out, so that is and probably will be the greatest BO performance of my lifetime, but if this got to $1B DOM it would probably be more impressive than Avatar's mega-legs. And arguably it could be around as impressive as Titanic, given the state of the market today.

I would agree with this. $1B domestic would be jawdropping and it's pretty hard to believe we have a current movie with a chance to get there. Titanic worldwide is something we'll probably never see again. It's impossible to do proper adjustment for international grosses, but in theory it would be a $4B movie with today's market compared to 1997-1998.

• Like 8