baumer

Star Wars Tuesday - 37.3M (Tele/baumer bet for Wednesday drop is on page 24...much to learn one of them still has)

8 minutes ago, Vadermort said:

If it does insane business in china, will it get anywhere close to Avatars WW gross of $2.7bn ? 

No, almost no chance. Lets say this reaches 1B here. Lets even say this makes 350m in China. that still leaves 1.35B more to be made from the rest of the world. That is certainly not happening.  Even after using up 225m UK and 115m Aus (both really high ends) we will still have 1B more left to go. In other words, even if we take the near-absolutely highest possible grosses of its 4 biggest markets we will still end up needing 1B more from the remaining markets which is almost-absolutely impossible. Avatar's 2.7B was a really really big thing. It had to make 100m+ in UK (150m), China (200m at a time none other had even reached close to 100m), Spain (!!!), South Korea (really !!! for that time), Russia (117m), Japan (172m !!), Germany (162m !!!!!), France (175m !!!!!) and Australia (105m !!) accompanied by another 83m from Italy (!!!!). With so much worse exchange rates, even halves of most of these figures are out of reach. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Weird, I thought the old cast was the weakest part.  Carrie Fisher was unrecognizable and her face didn't move.

Sadly I agree on Carrie Fisher, which is a shame cause I think her character could've had an interesting arc going forward but I don't think they have enough confidence in her acting at this point.

SWTFA maybe grossing insane amounts of money, but it was one of a very few films whose boxoffice was down on Tuesday in N.America.

Normally, Tuesday is a strong weekday for BO where most films see an increase over their Monday figures, but SWTFA was down 7%.

Will be interesting to see the figures for Wednesday, which is traditionally the weakest day BO wise in the N.American market.

Edited by mepal1

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Chipmunks is still a thing? Nice to see the OW have a reasonable collapse from the 3rd installment.

By the way, I was impressed to see that the first 2 movies are close to a record : highest gross without ever being number 1. They're 2nd and 3rd on that record chart. Also, considering their scores (219M$, 217M$ and 133M$), it's funny to see that the franchise never got a #1 position. Obviously, this fourth one won't do it either. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Can someone who has been following the box office for a longer time than me explain why is today expected to drop from yesterday? Isn't the fact that many people are already off work, and that tomorrow very few people are working going to cause it to increase?

Enviado de meu XT1097 usando Tapatalk

Tuesday is "cheap night" at most theatres, so most of the time when we're not dealing with gigantic numbers like this, we will usually see an increase on Tuesday's.

20 minutes ago, Vadermort said:

If it does insane business in china, will it get anywhere close to Avatars WW gross of $2.7bn ?

It would truly have to be insane. Right now it's international BO is essentially the same as it's domestic BO. If that plays out and domestic BO ends at $1 billion, international will come in at about the same minus China. So we're at $2 billion. Even if it blows things away in China I don't see it doing $800 million+. At this point I'd have to say Avatar's WW record is out of reach. Titanic should be the target at this point.

• Like 3

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

<<Prev Day <Wk <Mo <Yr

>Yr >Mo >Wk >>Next Day
TD YD Title (Click to View) Studio Daily Gross % +/- YD / LW Theaters / Avg Gross To-Date Day
1 1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $37,361,729 -7% - 4,134 $9,038 $325,438,146 5
2 2 Alvin and the Chipmunks The Road Chip Fox $4,035,816 +37% - 3,653 $1,105 $21,273,977 5
3 3 Sisters Uni. $2,887,950 +14% - 2,962 $975 $19,343,280 5
4 5 The Good Dinosaur BV $1,522,302 +33% +73% 2,755 $553 $99,331,046 28
5 4 The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 LGF $1,433,638 +19% +14% 2,653 $540 $257,118,683 33
6 6 Creed WB (NL) $1,095,249 +19% +3% 2,433 $450 $89,846,653 28
7 7 Krampus Uni. $947,285 +13% +23% 2,371 $400 $36,933,370 19
8 8 In the Heart of the Sea WB $816,352 +31% -40% 3,103 $263 $20,060,171 12
9 9 Spectre Sony $417,599 +20% -19% 1,225 $341 $194,674,955 47
10 10 The Night Before Sony $318,365 +7% -50% 1,235 $258 $42,077,601 33
11 11 Spotlight ORF $276,174 +16% -12% 825 $335 $23,317,474 47
12 12 The Peanuts Movie Fox $261,348 +24% +9% 771 $339 $126,794,793 47
- - Brooklyn FoxS $247,833 +23% -8% 614 $404 $16,944,409 49
- - The Martian Fox $144,466 +16% -18% 493 $293 $224,147,998 82

1 minute ago, mepal1 said:

SW7FA maybe grossing insane amouns of money, but it was one of a very few films whose boxoffice was down on Tuesday in N.America.

Normally, Tuesday is a strong weekday for BO where most films see an increase over their Monday figures, but SW7FA was down 7%.

Will be interesting to see the figures for Wednesday, which is traditionally the weakest day BO wise in the N.American market.

:apocalypse:

9 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

SWTFA maybe grossing insane amounts of money, but it was one of a very few films whose boxoffice was down on Tuesday in N.America.

Normally, Tuesday is a strong weekday for BO where most films see an increase over their Monday figures, but SWTFA was down 7%.

this is very incorrect. Every movie in the top 25 DOM alltime has dropped its 1st tuesday from 1st monday. Except Titanic and finding Nemo. Please look at each movie, then look at dailes than look at drop % on 1st tuesday. at 6-7 % TFA is actually better than most. 

The Avengers dropped the same % tuesday (6.5%), but well 66% compared to 33% for TFA Monday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

The tuesday rise seems to occur later in the runs for these bigger movies. 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Orestes said:

For me it was her voice that was the most off. But i guess it makes sense. Leia probably started hitting the space whiskey and death sticks pretty hard after Alderaan was destroyed, finally caught up to her.

She went from every adolescent boy's fantasy in ROTJ to something out of the Mines of Moria in SW7

i kid i kid

3 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

IMAX and other premium screens plus Sunday-to-Monday spillover makes it tough for these huge openers to increase on their first Tuesday. Even TA2 dropped almost 1% on Tuesday after dropping close to 74% Monday (which should have made a Tuesday increase easier). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mepal1 said:

SW7FA maybe grossing insane amouns of money, but it was one of a very few films whose boxoffice was down on Tuesday in N.America.

Normally, Tuesday is a strong weekday for BO where most films see an increase over their Monday figures, but SW7FA was down 7%.

In addition to the other posts

Aehm, you are aware about spillover from the weekend at Monday? At some rather strong offers, see the example earlier, tickets usually costing ~$15 for $5? And...

Guess why nearly all regulars did expect some minus, btw a lot deeper minus than it managed?

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

It would truly have to be insane. Right now it's international BO is essentially the same as it's domestic BO. If that plays out and domestic BO ends at $1 billion, international will come in at about the same minus China. So we're at $2 billion. Even if it blows things away in China I don't see it doing $800 million+. At this point I'd have to say Avatar's WW record is out of reach. Titanic should be the target at this point.

I agree.......i think after the Xmas period SWTFA boxoffice will slow down considerably in January, and in particular the non-English speaking regions of the world.

China is an unknown, but as you say the gross there would truly have to be monstrous for the film to have any chance of passing Avatar.

Incidently, if one were to take into account inflation adjusted boxoffice, then Avatar is actually over $3 billion, Gone with the Wind at $3.4 billion, and even the original Star Wars made an equivalent to $2.8 billion in figures adjusted for 2014.

Edited by mepal1

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

She went from every adolescent boy's fantasy in ROTJ to something out of the Mines of Moria in SW7

i kid i kid

:D

Was I the only person to like her portayal? I mean she isn't Meryl Streep so I wasn't expecting a high degree of acting. Some people have said she was too emotionless (especially when she felt Han's death) but I thought it was inline with the character from the original trilogies and someone who has been leading a war front for the better part of 30 years. Emotions get hardened in times like that.

• Like 3