druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

9 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The admission discussion is NOT tarnishing anything. It's gonna hit 100+ million tickets and that is truly incredible in today's market. That number is more remarkable than the dollar gross IMHO. 

@spizzer says that TFA is currently at 52 million tickets sold. If true, 100m tickets would be reflected by a 1.046bn domestic gross.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Not going to catch 2010, 12, or 13, but at least 2015 is back over 1.3 billion tickets. Couldve been much higher had late Summer performed. There were alot of misfires this years, but still bright year overall. Already makes 2014 look ancient.

Yeah... But 2014 delivered the shit in terms of quality so its cool

After last night here in Texas, might want to take the low end for numbers. 

Got relatives staying with us here in Dallas because their power is going to be down for a week.   Something tells me going to the movies last night was not a high priority here.

Oh....two of those relatives are aged 18 and 19.    Both saw SW7.   One saw a pirated copy online and gave it a 4/10.   The other saw it in theaters and thought it was "ok".   Both declined my invitation to go see it again this week.    Doesn't prove anything but worth sharing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolK said:

if this makes 1bn....apart from avatar sequels....nothing will be in sniffing distance of this cume...

i doubt even other SW sequels will make this much DOM 

I don't see any movie in the next 5 years getting within $200 million of this EXCEPT perhaps Avatar 2 do to the hype after the first one (despite what is said online, I know tons of people who loved that movie and are thrilled for the sequel). The other Avatar sequels won't get as high due to the pent up demand wearing off. The remaining Star Wars movies except Rogue One look to be coming out in May, so that eliminates them right there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

TFA will sell 100m+ tickets in the US and will probably be the last film to ever do that.  Nothing special, moving on.

Lol last ever? If anything TFA has taught us it is that there will continue to be ginormous grossers forever and we most likely won't be able to predict which films they will be.

There's always a bigger fish...although it seems unlikely right now when a ginormous one is staring us in the face...but there always is...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

I can't tell if that is sarcasm. Cuz like metaphors  they don't go over my head because my reflexes are good and I will catch it.

I'll play though

550m

We need an unprecedented holiday Monday drop of 50% to 25m, followed by unlikely 10% daily drops thru thursday(mite be unprecedentd as well)for an 80m midweek.

630m

That would then lead to 70m weekend - 55% like tyler perrys a madeas christmas. A rare precedent.

700m

Then the biggest series of all time with a 37 year old history, 3 generations of fans, the WOM pulling in the non fan non movie goer, all the repeat viewers, with little competition, that blew away the OW record then followed up with an even bigger 2nd weekend record, percentage wise, will fail to make less than 1 multi from its 3rd weekend.

Is there an asteroid on its way that we don't know about?  It will have to be something biblical to fail 760m

5 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Star Wars has another solid weekend I'm thinking of a total of around 810 million domestic.

Above applies to 810 as well.

It's 1B or the second coming is coming.

I'm pretty sure I'll be left behind in the rapture

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cory said:

A movie breaking gross records is one thing, the fact that this is breaking attendance records means it's true. All of it.

~80m gets it the 3rd weekend admissions record.

ok i give up trying to figure out the true admissions for this thing. everyone is saying different things. :)  i'm just going to enjoy this ride and watch TFA climb up the adjusted* and nominal all-time ranks.

After last night here in Texas, might want to take the low end for numbers. 

Got relatives staying with us here in Dallas because their power is going to be down for a week.   Something tells me going to the movies last night was not a high priority here.

Oh....two of those relatives are aged 18 and 19.    Both saw SW7.   One saw a pirated copy online and gave it a 4/10.   The other saw it in theaters and thought it was "ok".   Both declined my invitation to go see it again this week.    Doesn't prove anything but worth sharing.

You should give them a beating. For pirating it, and for saying it's a 4/10.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, lilmac said:

@spizzer says that TFA is currently at 52 million tickets sold. If true, 100m tickets would be reflected by a 1.046bn domestic gross.

By the time we get that far, it's unlikely that the 3D shares are still that high plus it'll lose IMAX screens.  I think its smarter to use a range in which 100M tickets can be argued, and I'd peg that at high 900s to low 1B.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Lol last ever? If anything TFA has taught us it is that there will continue to be ginormous grossers forever and we most likely won't be able to predict which films they will be.

There's always a bigger fish...although it seems unlikely right now when a ginormous one is staring us in the face...but there always is...

TFA taught us SW is still in a league of its own when the movie doesn't suck balls like the prequels.  If this makes it past 1 billion, nothing is sniffing that for decades until inflation catches up.

Edited by Ozymandias

TFA wont be the last movie to hit 100m in admissions. If anything, another 10-years-waited and extremely-well-marketed and incredibly-received Star Wars movie could do it again.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

Just now, Ozymandias said:

TFA taught us SW is in a league of its own when the movie doesn't suck balls like the prequels.  If this makes it past 1 billion, nothing is sniffing that for decades until inflation catches up.

Honestly I feel like TFA is proving what I always suspected about TPM: it would have challenged Titanic had the fans been truly on board with the movie. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, lilmac said:

ok i give up trying to figure out the true admissions for this thing. everyone is saying different things. :)  i'm just going to enjoy this ride and watch TFA climb up the adjusted* and nominal all-time ranks.

He's saying $80M would break the 3rd weekend attendance record.

13 minutes ago, CoolK said:

if this makes 1bn....apart from avatar sequels....nothing will be in sniffing distance of this cume...

i doubt even other SW sequels will make this much DOM 

Avatar sequels aren't matching the first movie let alone TFA.

• Like 5