druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

Here's a novel idea....how about just enjoy this for what it is?  That being a run that hasn't been seen...EVER.  No film has ever opened this high and sustained these kinds of holds ten days into their run.  Adjusting, inflation, tickets sold, dividing population by dollars and everything else you guys are doing is just smoke filled coffee house crap.  There are way way way too many variables to take into consideration when trying to figure out adjusted and everything else.  What we do know is that SW is going to be the domestic champ after about 17 days.  We also know that it's taking a real run at a billion.  We also know that it will come relatively close to the WW crown, but probably fall a bit short.

Can't you guys just enjoy this without trying to tarnish it in some way?

• Like 21

BRAG ALERT I called this weekend all the way back in November:

On 11/5/2015 at 11:53 AM, WrathOfHan said:

In, 150M.

On 11/5/2015 at 0:58 PM, WrathOfHan said:

It's happening and you better believe it.

So who wants to join my Zootopia over 300M club? ;) 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Here's a novel idea....how about just enjoy this for what it is?  That being a run that hasn't been seen...EVER.  No film has ever opened this high and sustained these kinds of holds ten days into their run.  Adjusting, inflation, tickets sold, dividing population by dollars and everything else you guys are doing is just smoke filled coffee house crap.  There are way way way too many variables to take into consideration when trying to figure out adjusted and everything else.  What we do know is that SW is going to be the domestic champ after about 17 days.  We also know that it's taking a real run at a billion.  We also know that it will come relatively close to the WW crown, but probably fall a bit short.

Begun the franchise wars has.

• Like 3

I think some of the discussion of inflation adjusted figures is NOT to tarnish the incredible TFA run, but to appreciate it even more. Surely if it becomes the 10th biggest movie ever adjusted for inflation, that's absolutely incredible. That makes it one of the few most successful films of all time by any measure. 

I do think you have to take into consideration eras, though, because I don't like the smug, "Well, if you adjust for inflation, GWTW sold more tickets than any other movie ever." Sure, ok. That's nice. Would it have sold those tickets today? Let's just be a bit honest here, GWTW wouldn't break $100M in the U.S. if it came out today. It would play art house theaters and probably do great with critics, again, and win some Oscars. VERY few people would go see the movie. So adjusting for inflation to get ticket sales numbers is a nice exercise and tells you a bit about the impact of a film, but you can't make TOO much of it.

It's a lot like the whole, "Well, the 1995 Bulls would beat the 2014 Golden State Warriors," or whatever. It's nerdy for the reason it cannot ever be truly decided who would win. But I can tell you, adjust for inflation all you want, we all know if you opened TFA against Gone With the Wind (if it were a new movie nobody had seen before), Star Wars would blow that out of the water. That's why I'm not comfortable with people bringing up 1939 movies in modern day discussions. It's completely irrelevant. The landscape has changed and whatever GWTW did is a historical curiosity and nothing more. 

If someone states it as such, that's a valid and interesting statistic. But if they act like, "Well, TFA really wasn't that big, because GWTW," then it's absolutely silly as Star Wars is a much bigger part of the culture than GWTW has been for at least 50 years. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Isn't that what I was trying to tell you about Avatar's boxoffce?:ph34r:

Cant you guys just enjoy Avatar's bo run for what it is?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Is it possible to ever determine ACTUAL attendance? Can we trust mojo? TFA is at about 63m tickets sold, according to mojo. Would need $833m to get to 100m tickets sold by that ratio. I think though that they're conflating all the formats into one. @spizzer - you can back me up on this one.

Ugh! It's like trying to adjust int'l grosses for inflation or exchange rates. It's too complicated. I feel like this IS doable but IF we have the attendance numbers broken out by format. As you guys already mention, it depends on what the studios disclose. 

I think Rentrak has the data, because we get what seems like an accurate annual ticket sale figure on BOM every year (one of the few things that is accurate).  They must have numbers for each individual film as well, but there's probably pressure from studios to not report it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they're doing.  They have an accurate ticket sale number for a particular time frame (quarter and year) and they just apply the same average price to each film in that frame, instead of evaluating each individual film's 2D/3D splits.  As I posted earlier this morning, TFA is at ~52.0M tickets sold if we use the approximate OW ticket price (28% RealD/12% IMAX/7% PLF, sums to 47% 3D overall).  Hopefully Deadline or BOM gives us an updated share with tomorrow's actuals.

FWIW 52.0M tickets in 10 (or 10.5) days is a record high.  Frankly, nothing else is even close, TDK is #2 with 40.4M tickets sold in 10 days.  SM1/TA/JW all did around 38M in 10 days. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

The admission discussion is NOT tarnishing anything. It's gonna hit 100+ million tickets and that is truly incredible in today's market. That number is more remarkable than the dollar gross IMHO. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Isn't that what I was trying to tell you about Avatar's boxoffce?:ph34r:

Cant you guys just enjoy Avatar's bo run for what it is?

You don't have to tell me that.  Avatar is not my favourite Cameron movie by a long shot but I'm not one of those Avatar haters or one who says it was a fluke.  It was a freak of nature and a lot of people loved it.

• Like 3

A movie breaking gross records is one thing, the fact that this is breaking attendance records means it's true. All of it.

~80m gets it the 3rd weekend admissions record.

Edited by cory
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

You don't have to tell me that.  Avatar is not my favourite Cameron movie by a long shot but I'm not one of those Avatar haters or one who says it was a fluke.  It was a freak of nature and a lot of people loved it.

Well I just think it's kinda ironical that memembers on this site hate this downplaying TFA's boxoffice thing. I mean, geez they really should get a look at how Avatar was downplayed on this site. That really makes what's happening on TFA not even worth mentioning.

• Like 1

Not going to catch 2010, 12, or 13, but at least 2015 is back over 1.3 billion tickets. Couldve been much higher had late Summer performed. There were alot of misfires this years, but still bright year overall. Already makes 2014 look ancient.

Edited by jandrew