druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

The funny thing here, is that about 6 months ago, most of us would have been really happy with this result....for it's whole run.  

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $544,573,329    49.9%
Foreign:  $546,000,000    50.1%

Worldwide:  $1,090,573,329  
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That's after everyone knew TFA crushed  presale records.

Let's look at the expectations before there was overwhelming evidence that TFA would overperform.

Only one person predicted TFA would make over 900 m in the Winter Game.

Only 4 out of 27 thought it would beat Avatar. :rofl:

Exactly. Presales changed everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

The funny thing here, is that about 6 months ago, most of us would have been really happy with this result....for it's whole run.  

Total Lifetime Grosses

It is just freaking eerie how closely domestic and foreign are tracking to each other...

• Like 2

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

Total Lifetime Grosses

As a SW fan I just wanted it to beat JW for the 2015 DOM and WW crown.

Beating Avatar DOM and Titanic WW is mindblowing.

• Like 8

Just finished Empire and I can't decide whether it or A New Hope was better. Definitely another 10/10. Since I'm doing machete order I guess Phantom Menace is next. I know they say to skip it but I want to at least give it a shot.  Very curious to see if it's as bad as they say it is. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

That's after everyone knew TFA crushed  presale records.

Let's look at the expectations before there was overwhelming evidence that TFA would overperform.

Only one person predicted TFA would make over 900 m in the Winter Game.

Only 4 out of 27 thought it would beat Avatar. :rofl:

Look at this way, after the OD or at most the OW, beating Avatar is a lock for most of us (except Kal of cause lol). How many could think Avatar has had any chance at Titanic after that 78m OW?

SW7 is heading for the 1BN mark. Thats what we get just a couple of days after the release. Not beating Avatar, but heading for 1BN! Only a few of us considered the possibiity of beating Titanic even after Avatar third wknd.

You can't compare TFA to Avatar in terms of how much its boxoffice surprised people.

• Like 1

Hey, you can feel free to disagree, I'm just saying on individual day of Titanic's run was impressive. What was impressive is the whole picture. The fact that it made $1M or more for, what, 102 days or something like that? I'm not downplaying that incredible success. All I'm saying is that the numbers were never mind-boggling for any individual day or weekend. It was the collection of all of these solid weekends and days in a row that led to the most impressive box office run of the modern era. It was impressive to see week in and week out it hold off any and all competition for its #1 ranking. 

I wouldn't have personally been interested in hearing Rth's numbers updates about, say, its Tuesday performance at the end of January. 

I think Titanic is a pile of shit as a story, though, and the "romance" or "love story" -- which it isn't, because they just met 24 hours earlier -- is one of the worst I can imagine. It's fine if you love it, but I thought it was Cameron's worst movie by far and Leo's worst performance in a career of amazing performances. He was perfectly fine in it, but nothing special. He hadn't yet developed as a preeminent talent of cinema. Seeing Titanic once was quite enough for me. I even have a t-shirt with the phrase "The boat sank. Get over it." Of course I'm biased! I thought that movie was garbage compared to any other modern blockbuster pretty much, so no, I didn't want it to succeed. I wanted it to hit an iceberg and sink just like the real boat did (which of course was a tragedy and I wish wouldn't have happened). 

I guess I just can't see how much fun I'd have with TFA if it had a similar trajectory to Titanic. If it had opened pathetically, which Titanic did (especially for a $200M movie), and then taken absolutely forever to gross even $300M. I would have been nervous the entire time about where it would end up ultimately and while it would eventually be all good, that's not something I would have enjoyed. It would be like watching a Yankees game where we trailed the entire time, it goes to 18 innings, and finally we win with a walk-off homer. The ending would be INCREDIBLE and make the whole thing worthwhile, but the actual game would be pacing the living room, sweaty palms, nerve-racking throughout, etc. 

• Like 1

Titanic was magic.  Saw it 7 times in the theater and cried every time.  It's fine to disagree, no big deal.  But I'll defend it at every opportunity.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

Just finished Empire and I can't decide whether it or A New Hope was better. Definitely another 10/10. Since I'm doing machete order I guess Phantom Menace is next. I know they say to skip it but I want to at least give it a shot.  Very curious to see if it's as bad as they say it is. 

I gotta go with ANH.  Just so much magic... However, from a craft perspective, ESB is a MUCH better movie.  What I love so much about ESB is that it feels to me like Han's movie.  He just so friggen owns every scene. On Hoth, in the asteroids, and on Bespin.  He had the full Han swagger going.

• Like 2

I think studios should compete with Star Wars Episode VIII if they move it to December, I think Ready Player One which is currently scheduled for December 15th 2017 could benefit from spillover if they delay it a week later or release it on Christmas Day. Might see a Avatar, Sherlock Holmes, Alvin situation with Episode VIII, RPO and Croods 2 in that happened. 

• Like 1

I don't love TITANIC quite as much as many here, but I like it quite a bit, and it was amazing to follow its box-office run... and thrilling, because for the first time in my life, a movie was breaking every box-office trend I knew about. As it stayed basically flat from weekend to weekend, I realized its end result was unquantifiable, because it's legs were so remarkable you couldn't easily pin a final number on it. 

I'm a huge Cameron fan too, so it was immensely satisfying to see it sweep the Oscars that year. 

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

TPM is definitely worth seeing at least once. 

• Like 7

I was lucky enough to get hooked on box office tracking when The Lost World broke the OW record in 1997. I was/am a big Jurassic Park fan and the headline of The Lost World breaking the OW record fascinated me as I love movies, numbers, and ranking things.  From that weekend on, I followed the box office results as much as I could, mostly on box office guru, and a little in the newspaper (they still do exist).

Thankfully, my interest in box office started 7 months before Titanic hit theaters.  I was lucky enough to follow that one and it is the box office run that all wish they could be of this generation. It was so thrilling to see the same weekend number (and sometimes a higher one) week after week after week. I loved the movie and went to it 4-5 times in the theater which made following the ridiculous box office even more exciting.

From a domestic standpoint, I haven't seen anything in it's class until now.  TFA will likely be the all time champ by day 17!! That is unfathomable.  Combined that we are looking at a billion domestic.  ONE BILLION DOMESTIC!  This is one for the ages folks. Finally, imo, a domestic run that stands side by side with Titanic.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Look at this way, after the OD or at most the OW, beating Avatar is a lock for most of us (except Kal of cause lol). How many could think Avatar has had any chance at Titanic after that 78m OW?

SW7 is heading for the 1BN mark. Thats what we get just a couple of days after the release. Not beating Avatar, but heading for 1BN! Only a few of us considered the possibiity of beating Titanic even after Avatar third wknd.

You can't compare TFA to Avatar in terms of how much its boxoffice surprised people.

Yeah, let's lower the bar to "most surprising box office run".

That way even American Sniper is more impressive than TFA's run. :sadno:

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah, let's lower the bar to "most surprising box office run".

That way even American Sniper is more impressive than TFA's run. :sadno:

It all depends on how you want to define impressive & it's clear some of us have very different definitions. It's that simple.

• Like 1