druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

2 minutes ago, Magic said:

I don't want them to delay the Blu Ray release for TFA. It will be out of theatres where I am by about the end of January (not many screens where I am, so movies go fast), so the wait for the Blu Ray will feel like too long. Lol. 

It comes out April 20th here in Australia. 

January is brutal here this year. Joy, Point Break, Norm of the North, The 5th Wave and The Big Short are all opening between January 7 and January 14 here.

I want my Star Wars Bluray by Easter.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Sherlock Holmes is a franchise, a movie like that is likely to have a higher percentage of demand on it's OD yet it dropped by a smaller percentage than Joy, it was also the record for a Christmas day and was far bigger than Joy's OW will be. Also everything around Sherlock Holmes increased that year.

Let's say you're right though, Joy follows the pattern of Sherlock Holmes, is that a success if it becomes one of David O. Russell's lowest grossing movies, you're multiplier would have this just reaching above 60M, I'd hardly call that a victory.

I never said anything about victory or what it would make.  I simply said you can't say WOM is poor because it dropped on December 26th.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

I never said anything about victory or what it would make.  I simply said you can't say WOM is poor because it dropped on December 26th.  

Concussion increased, as did Point Break, both of those are doing business only slightly below Joy and yet Joy has a large drop, a bigger percentage drop than a franchise movie had on the same date in 2009. What else could you blame it on if not poor WOM.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

January is brutal here this year. Joy, Point Break, Norm of the North, The 5th Wave and The Big Short are all opening between January 7 and January 14 here.

I want my Star Wars Bluray by Easter.

It's the same here. We have Creed, Point Break, Sisters and Snow Queen 2 on the 1st, then The Danish Girl, Joy, The Forest and Mustang on the 8th. Point Break will be huge. Creed will do some decent numbers as well methinks. The first Snow Queen was pretty big for an animation. So a crowded market.

2 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Concussion increased, as did Point Break, both of those are doing business only slightly below Joy and yet Joy has a large drop, a bigger percentage drop than a franchise movie had on the same date in 2009. What else could you blame it on if not poor WOM.

Joy would have been many people's first choice Xmas day. 

So are you saying Daddy's Home has bad WOM because that went down on Saturday?

Christmas Day audiences know what is coming and what they plan to see. Openers usually always go down on Dec 26. Nothing about what Joy made Saturday tells me anything about its WOM based on how this weekend usually pans out. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Joy would have been many people's first choice Xmas day. 

So are you saying Daddy's Home has bad WOM because that went down on Saturday?

Christmas Day audiences know what is coming and what they plan to see. Openers usually always go down on Dec 26. Nothing about what Joy made Saturday tells me anything about its WOM based on how this weekend usually pans out. 

If you take out previews then Daddy's Home dropped by a far smaller percentage, despite doing significantly bigger business on OD. The simple fact is that of all our comparable movies (one's that opened on a Friday that fell on Christmas) for some reason Joy had the largest drop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vadermort said:

Can you give me the link ?

http://www.insidekino.com/News.htm

48 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

think he/she wants to learn about sources (I think he/she was the same user who asked about Gitesh)

34 minutes ago, Magic said:

Oh, and I see Baumer excusing this sub 180M weekend. Should have beat IM3. Let's not pretend this 155M weekend isn't mediocre, because it is. 

As you so often seem to be a tad bit... either over the top or...?

In the case it was meant ironically - maybe adding the :ph34r: , so lurkers and newbes (we have a LOT of them for the moment) do not get that confused?

If seriously meant... :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Vadermort said:

Is 58m the final number  for saturday   or is it changing? 

No, it's not.

A very few cinemas are still not didgially reporting the numbers, no idea when they will report theirs during the holiday (not that big of a difference possible), also generally at the weekends not all studios even report numbers, especially during big public holidays a lot of people usually working with BO details are on vacation themselfs.

During the weekends you'll see 'estimates' even over the charts by Boxofficemojo.com and Boxoffice.com

Small distributer with only a limited release often report details during the week around 17:00-18:00 o'clock my local time (= UK + 1 hour), then usually some waiting times till the next studio is done. Wide releases during the week is often starting around 19:00/20:00 o'clock my time, can take up till after 22:00 till all numbers are really there.

Don't forget, incl Alaska the US has quite some timezones, for actuals all numbers have to be in.

Weekend related BOs have other times of day.

Actuals for the weekend (including corrections per day) we'll get during the year at Monday, if that one isn't a holiday. But earlier.

With big blockbusters / surprise success / special... studios give often more in between numbers, especially the oversee numbers tend to get more often reported, or if a movie reached a milestone (or the studio) = extra press releases.

But that is not a 'must'.

Not every daily BO chart is complete btw, depends on the studio, see beneath plus some smaller distributers. A few months back a small one had a bigger success, was the reason that the top 10 / 20 got reported VERY late in the day

If you look at the bottom of the BOM daily charts you'll find this:

NOTE: If daily grosses stop for a movie, it means that the respective studio is no longer tracking it on a daily basis.

The exceptions are New Line, Miramax/Dimension and Sony Pictures Classics. They don't do official daily box office, and estimates are made for their movies based on partial data in order to fill out the top 12. Because of this, movies from these studios are more apt to disappear from the daily chart.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Caesar said:

If you take out previews then Daddy's Home dropped by a far smaller percentage, despite doing significantly bigger business on OD. The simple fact is that of all our comparable movies (one's that opened on a Friday that fell on Christmas) for some reason Joy had the largest drop.

I think it's way too early to attribute it's drop (which was minimal) was down to WOM. 

What did you say when True Grit, Benjamin Button, Django Unchained, Les Mis all dropped on the 26th? 

Sure they all did bigger business first day, but the same logic applies. 

I don't think anyone can say with any kind of certainty what Joy's WOM is after 24 hours. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Magic said:

Oh, and I see Baumer excusing this sub 180M weekend. Should have beat IM3. Let's not pretend this 155M weekend isn't mediocre, because it is. 

Mediocre???? 155 is tne 99th best weekend all time...and it´s the second one....

3 minutes ago, setna said:
3 minutes ago, setna said:

Mediocre???? 155 is tne 99th best weekend all time...and it´s the second one....

9th... of course.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware about a lot of the holidays per state till MLK. Or certain holidays not being a public holiday in all states

That should too make estimates early on a bit more difficult I guess

Holidays in United States in 2015+2016

Dec 24 Thursday The Prophet's Birthday Muslim  
Dec 24 Thursday Christmas Eve Observance, Christian  
Dec 24 Thursday  Christmas Eve State holiday KS*, LA, MI, NC, ND, OK, SC, TX, VA*, WI
Dec 24 Thursday Washington's Birthday State holiday Georgia, Indiana
Dec 25 Friday Christmas Day National holiday, Christian  
Dec 26 Saturday Kwanzaa (until Jan 1)

Observance

Dec 26 Saturday Day After Christmas Day Observance  
Dec 26 Saturday Day After Christmas Day State holiday KS, KY, NC, NH, SC, TX
Dec 31 Thursday New Year's Eve Observance  
Dec 31 Thursday New Year's Eve State holiday LA, MI, WI

Date Weekday Holiday name Holiday type Where it is observed
Jan 1 Friday New Year's Day National holiday  
Jan 6 Wednesday Epiphany Christian  
Jan 7 Thursday Orthodox Christmas Day Orthodox  
Jan 13 Wednesday Stephen Foster Memorial Day Observance  
Jan 14 Thursday Orthodox New Year Orthodox  
Jan 15 Friday Lee Jackson Day State holiday Virginia
Jan 18 Monday Martin Luther King Day National holiday  
Jan 18 Monday Robert E Lee's Birthday State holiday Alabama, Arkansas
Jan 18 Monday State Holiday State holiday Mississippi
Jan 18 Monday Idaho Human Rights Day State holiday Idaho
Jan 18 Monday Civil Rights Day State holiday Arizona, New Hampshire
Jan 19 Tuesday Robert E Lee's Birthday State holiday Florida
Jan 19 Tuesday State Holiday State holiday Texas
Jan 25 Monday Tu Bishvat/Tu B'Shevat Jewish holiday  

Holidays in Canada in 2015 + 2016

Dec 24 Thursday  Prophet's Birthday  Muslim  
Dec 24 Thursday  Christmas Eve  Observance  
Dec 25 Friday  Christmas  National holiday, Christian  
Dec 26 Saturday  Boxing Day  Common Local holidays  MB, NB, NL, NS, ON, PE, YT
Dec 31 Thursday  New Year's Eve  Observance  

Date Weekday Holiday name Holiday type Where it is observed
Jan 1 Friday New Year's Day National holiday  
Jan 2 Saturday Day After New Year’s Day Local holiday Quebec
Jan 6 Wednesday Epiphany Observance, Christian  
Jan 7 Thursday Orthodox Christmas Day Orthodox  
Jan 14 Thursday Orthodox New Year Orthodox  
Jan 25 Monday Tu B'Shevat (Arbor Day) Jewish holiday  
Feb 2 Tuesday Groundhog Day Observance  
Feb 8 Monday Family Day Common Local holidays  British Columbia
Feb 8 Monday Chinese New Year Observance  
Feb 9 Tuesday Carnival/Shrove Tuesday Christian  
Feb 10 Wednesday Ash Wednesday Christian  
Feb 14 Sunday Valentine's Day Observance  
Feb 15 Monday National Flag of Canada Day Observance  
Feb 15 Monday Islander Day Common Local holidays  Prince Edward Island
Feb 15 Monday Family Day Common Local holidays  AB, ON, SK
Feb 15 Monday Nova Scotia Heritage Day Common Local holidays  Nova Scotia
Feb 15 Monday Louis Riel Day Common Local holidays  Manitoba
Feb 26 Friday Yukon Heritage Day Local holiday  Yukon

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

I got him pretty riled up here once! Forget what thread, had it as my sig for a while. Think that was the feistiest many of our newer members saw him

And you still haven't complied and gotten your street ass beat due to having no friends.