druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

AVATAR is pretty great. SW is pretty great. Both had amazing box-office runs. Dunno why everyone feels the need to denigrate one or the other to celebrate their own fave.

Lock the thread.  Let this be the last post on the subject.

tumblr_ne6y613nxn1tzobkno2_250.gif

• Like 4

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

That's a 25% drop.  That would just be insanely ridiculous.  I hope you are right, but I personally don't see it.

Did you see Avatar's 33% first Monday drop coming off the all time Sunday record? And then it having virtually the same holds every day since except Friday? I sure didn't. In 2009 when Xmas fell on a Friday, only one movie dropped more than 30% that Monday. Avatar dropped 20%. Now that would be insane, but I definitely don't think a 25-30% drop is unlikely. Unless it is starting to hit that "wall" some of us have discussed, but remember kids are all still off and the post Xmas week tends to be better for movies than pre since people aren't nearly as busy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

AVATAR is pretty great. SW is pretty great. Both had amazing box-office runs. Dunno why everyone feels the need to denigrate one or the other to celebrate their own fave.

The answer is obvious.

Because we can't have nice things here.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Wasn't my intention speaking personally. Avatar is a better movie to me than TFA. TFA is a more impressive run by far. The latter is all I was saying. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

This was the plan all along.

The prequels were the difficult clone wars Emperor Lucas orchestrated to then bring on an age of the Galactic Empire (TFA trilogy)

Lucas showed he was strong with the force (OT) but power blinded him (PT). 

Now his child (LucasFilm) has redeemed him (ST) and brought balance to the force.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Being a franchise film should have technically been more of a hindrance for its chances to become one of the most successful films ever. Most franchise films have a very definite ceiling and can't break past that. Don't believe me? How many sequels do you see in the top ten adjusted for inflation films? That's right, none. And you would only see one in the top 20 if we took out re-releases (TPM). TFA is not only breaking 100m admission a time where that should be impossible, it's also shattering the franchise admissions ceiling in a way we didn't know possible either. It will be the first sequel/prequel to ever blow way past 85m admissions in its first run. 

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

How many films not based on existing material entered top50 DOM since 2000? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

Frozen

Finding Nemo

Inside Out

And that's it. You got 4 (and only 1 being a live action movie). How many ones based on existing material since 2000? You got 38. It's easy to see the severe trend of this industry getting more and more "sequels prequels adaptations"lised. And to have an original movie beating all of them was impossible. Sth like that just isn't for this era.

TFA is a perfect representation of this era (Massive fanbase, monstrous OW. Except its fanse is a lot bigger its OW is a lot bigger and of cause a much better WOM).  Avatar is not. Avatar is an out-cast.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Did you see Avatar's 33% first Monday drop coming off the all time Sunday record? And then it having virtually the same holds every day since except Friday? I sure didn't. In 2009 when Xmas fell on a Friday, only one movie dropped more than 30% that Monday. Avatar dropped 20%. Now that would be insane, but I definitely don't think a 25-30% drop is unlikely. Unless it is starting to hit that "wall" some of us have discussed, but remember kids are all still off and the post Xmas week tends to be better for movies than pre since people aren't nearly as busy. 

TFA has been seen by 3 times as many people as Avatar at this point. The drop is coming (if you want to call a Mon-Thurs total of $90 million and a $90 million 3rd weekend a "drop")

Just now, VenomXXR said:

TFA has been seen by 3 times as many people as Avatar at this point. The drop is coming (if you want to call a Mon-Thurs total of $90 million and a $90 million 3rd weekend a "drop")

And TFA had been seen by over 3x as many people as Avatar by this point last weekend. The same hold still happened. The movie will have to hit a wall with these holds eventually, but I will be very surprised if that happens before 2016. -35% is the worst I see happening tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, I see what you are saying but this film is behaving like no other film in the history of films.  Law of averages says it has to slow down eventually.  It just simply can't keep this pace up.  It's like Usain Bolt being predicted to run the 1KM (1000 meters) in 95 seconds because he can run the 100 in 9.5 seconds.  Eventually at around the 400 or 500 meter spot he has to slow down because his pace is so ridiculous.  I believe SW is at the 500 meter part and it has to start slowing down, not by much, but it still has to somewhat.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

And TFA had been seen by over 3x as many people as Avatar by this point last weekend. The same hold still happened. The movie will have to hit a wall with these holds eventually, but I will be very surprised if that happens before 2016. -35% is the worst I see happening tomorrow. 

I agree...

6 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Some of the reasoning is just so lol comparing the 2. Not even worth responding to the few in here who don't understand the difference between the most popular (already) established franchise & one that had ZERO pre existing fan base.

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

I can't help roll my eyes when I see someone say "good" numbers.

Every single number since the beginning to its end will never be less than spectacular. 

But isnt a spectacular number also a good number?

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

-35% from today or from last Monday? 

Just now, Ozymandias said:

Episode 8's OS haul is gonna dramatically increase I bet.

Episode 8 is doomed at the box office in general. It can never live up to this, which is sad since I suspect it could definitely be another ESB situation where it's even better than its predecessor. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Episode 8 is doomed at the box office in general. It can never live up to this, which is sad since I suspect it could definitely be another ESB situation where it's even better than its predecessor. 

It'll probably drop domestically but OS I think will increase a lot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Panda Menace said:

But isnt a spectacular number also a good number?

I consider spectacular and good two different things. For example, a good cake is a cake with great chocolate frosting and but the cake is a bit dry. A spectacular cake is rich delicious gooey frosting along with a moist center of fudgy goodness that just melts on your tongue. 

And now I want cake.

• Like 2