baumer

Star Wars TFA Tuesday Actual: 29.5M !!! (-6%)

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Needs $52M the next two days to beat Jurassic World's calendar gross record. Avatar drops from $29.3M give it $53M, so knowing how some milestones have gone, it'll probably miss it by like 200k. :lol:

its gonna do it, gonna out hold avatar on thursday once more fo sho

JW crushed in 14 days

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, B J said:

OMG! Another Alaskan, and a BO follower, YAY! Yeah Anchorage is lacking in snow this year and its been pretty warn compared to the usual as well.  Minor flurries here as well but I want a true dumping, grass in the middle of the winter is

odd

Yep, although I moved here in August for grad school. Originally from Iowa, so used to long winters.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Fake said:

There is no point in extrapolating legs of SW7 based on Avatar. Avatar was a different kind of monster.

On the other hand, SW7 is basically mirroring the LOTR2 run at 3x level

Day: SW7 - LOTR2 - Multi

Fri (w/m): 62.1 - 19.2 = 3.23x

Sat: 68.3 - 22.75 = 3.00x

Sun: 60.55 - 20.0 = 3.03x

Mon: 40.1 - 13.5 = 2.97x

Tue: 37.4 - 7.8 = 4.80x

Wed: 38.0 - 12.4 = 3.06x

Thu: 27.4 - 15.45 = 1.77x

Week 1: 333.85 - 111.15 = 3.00x

Fri: 49.3 - 16.9 = 2.92x

Sat: 56.7 - 17.2 = 3.30x

Sun: 43.15 - 14.8 = 2.92x

Mon: 31.3 - 10.1 = 3.10x

Week 2 (so far):  180.55 - 59.0 = 3.06x

(The fluctuation in dailies is due to Christmas falling on different day of the week.)

LOTR2 made 129.6m after Monday. If SW7 continues to be at 3x level, it will make further 388m after Monday, which means 572 + 388 = 960M finish.

That's why 1B is not locked yet. For 1B to happen, the requires multiplier from here on would be 3.3x.

Good job on the extrapolation. But SW7 will benefit from buzz surrounding record breaking blockbusters that generally helps it have better legs. Plus the boost with Imax/PLF will help it have stronger weekday.I am confident it will gross > 1B.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Good job on the extrapolation. But SW7 will benefit from buzz surrounding record breaking blockbusters that generally helps it have better legs. Plus the boost with Imax/PLF will help it have stronger weekday.I am confident it will gross > 1B.

It's kinda funny how we view BO.

Yes... everything you said is true.

However we seem to forget that legs and BO are a result of if the movie is good and if people want to see it.

Also... how re-watchable is the movie.  There are movies I've loved but did not want to see again.  There are movies I've loved but got tired of after a few views.  And there are a very view movies that I'll go see in the theater any number of times.

If we could come up with better ways to track WOM and repeat viewings we could get better at predicting BO

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ray said:

If it opens it summer, it could open bigger (but A:IW2 comes out earlier that month, doesn't it?), but will it even have legs against all the summer competition?

I expect a bigger opening but it won't hold nearly as long. EP9 will do $250-$300 million opening weekend but will probably finish about 20% less than EP7 overall. And yes Infinity War Part 2 comes out on May 3rd, EP9 comes out 3 weeks later on May 24th. I expect Infinity War Part 2 should have at least $500 million in the bag by the time EP9 opens though :)

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

So, about a 6% drop? Pretty solid. 

more than solid. Its the record for best non opening Tuesday! Wait nevermind TFA set that last week.... lol. So ya TFA beat the previous record for a non-opening day tuesday in its 2nd week.

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!! (Wayne's World style)

Edited by tokila
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Great number, but bummed it's so close but so far from staying over 30. 

Congrats to your green color!

I really start to have that 'Disney Effect' dancing around in my mind sice a few days... tendency: getting stronger :D

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tokila said:

It possible that JW could fall on Friday, and Avatar on Sunday. Would be crazy to knock them both out in 1 weekend. 

JW could fall on Thursday if the holds are strong enough. Then Titanic on Friday and Avatar on Monday (Sunday, if the weekend is really great)

Edit: Think about how insane that sounds. Downing the top 3 domestic box office unadjusted gross leaders in only 14-18 days. Unreal.

Edited by misterchief81
  • Like 6

we can argue about using adjusted ticket prices and how they relate era to era until we are blue in the face, but there is one thing we can agree. Dec 17-Jan 3 will be the greatest 17 days by any movie in the history of the box office. Each Day in that frame looks like and opening weekend number from a blockbuster caliber movie. 

Titanic had the greatest 5 month run. Star Wars had the greatest 2 year run. GWTW had the greatest popularity over a decade, but for the modern box office what TFA is doing is the equivalent.

• Like 6

Thinking about the Danish Girl, it was actually a bit disappointing aside from the acting. You get the importance of the story, and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it felt like a small intimate story told on an intimate scale rather than a grand story on an intimate scale.

1 hour ago, Fake said:

There is no point in extrapolating legs of SW7 based on Avatar. Avatar was a different kind of monster.

On the other hand, SW7 is basically mirroring the LOTR2 run at 3x level

Day: SW7 - LOTR2 - Multi

Fri (w/m): 62.1 - 19.2 = 3.23x

Sat: 68.3 - 22.75 = 3.00x

Sun: 60.55 - 20.0 = 3.03x

Mon: 40.1 - 13.5 = 2.97x

Tue: 37.4 - 7.8 = 4.80x

Wed: 38.0 - 12.4 = 3.06x

Thu: 27.4 - 15.45 = 1.77x

Week 1: 333.85 - 111.15 = 3.00x

Fri: 49.3 - 16.9 = 2.92x

Sat: 56.7 - 17.2 = 3.30x

Sun: 43.15 - 14.8 = 2.92x

Mon: 31.3 - 10.1 = 3.10x

Week 2 (so far):  180.55 - 59.0 = 3.06x

(The fluctuation in dailies is due to Christmas falling on different day of the week.)

LOTR2 made 129.6m after Monday. If SW7 continues to be at 3x level, it will make further 388m after Monday, which means 572 + 388 = 960M finish.

That's why 1B is not locked yet. For 1B to happen, the requires multiplier from here on would be 3.3x.

Thanks for the comparision, but third weekend will help SW7 to gain the margin you can't see. TTT dropped 48% in 3rd while SW7 won't drop that much.

Actually, there is no movie to compare with SW7.

• Like 3