CJohn

Wednesday The Force Awakens Estimates - 28M (Rth) | 27.2 - 27.9 (DHD)

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

I'm gonna be honest, that's what it comes down to for me, "directing skills" is such a vague term. At the end of the day, the director is a dictator, he signs off on everything, has a direct influence on everything, is responsible for hiring the right people, bringing the best out of them, it's his vision on the screen (yes, i know, there are less fortunate directors).

Jim's filmography is god tier

• Like 2

That's exactly right as far as the director as dictator. The best way to put it is the director isn't mostly responsible for anything, but he's somewhat responsible for EVERYTHING. On my film, there wasn't an outfit any of my characters wore that I didn't sign off on, there wasn't a camera angle I didn't choose with my cinematographer, there wasn't a location I hadn't chosen based on our resources and my vision, etc. The people we hired, courtesy of my producers who deserve a lot of credit too, were great at their jobs and deserve lots of credit, but ultimately it's still the director's vision what he or she wants. 

I rate a director on the ability to consistently entertain me and make great films that sometimes also inspire or provoke thought (not always). I also think it's important to a degree that a director have a "stamp." I think the best directors, you know it's their work. You know a Tarantino film when you see one, for better or worse (depending how you like his style), you know a James Cameron film, or a Steven Spielberg film. They gravitate towards certain subjects and deliver films with a style and sensibility all their own. Otherwise, what you have are glorified TV directors who have milquetoast style and bland taste in what they want out of a production. It may end up perfectly fine, but it's nothing great. 

As with any director, you're going to have a few major directors you really dislike that everyone else loves, and you may have a few who are vilified that you enjoy. I can tell you that I think it's hilarious Michael Bay gets criticism as the worst director around or something. The dude made The Rock, which is an amazing film on every level, a complicated antagonist with great music, great dialogue, and great fun, he made Bad Boys which is another incredibly entertaining property, Transformers (the first one) is a ton of fun, but of course if you're a "true" cinephile you gotta pile it on and say how he's everything that's wrong with Hollywood or some such nonsense. It's laughable, really. The guy makes fun, entertaining movies people enjoy. Sure, he's not a great artistic director, but he knows exactly what he's doing and who he makes movies for. Then on the other end, you got a guy like Alfonso Cuaron, who my fellow cinema fans love, and I think is one of the most untalented, terrible directors working today. Children of Men was a completely awful film, Y Tu Mama Tambien is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, total garbage, and then we have Gravity, a good, solid film with some bad acting by Bullock, a simple plot, and surely the most overrated film in the last decade (although Mad Max, as fun as it is, certainly attempts to challenge that film for how overrated it is). Yet I'm one of maybe 5% of moviegoers who thinks he sucks. I would intentionally avoid a movie by that guy in the future and probably skip it on DVD, too. 

The point is, taste is purely subjective and what one person thinks is a great director is someone else's mediocre hack. It just depends what your film sensibilities are. A few of my favorite would certainly be Tarantino (besides Hateful Eight, which is absolutely awful), David Fincher, Spielberg, Ridley Scott, and quite a few others like James Cameron or JJ Abrams who I think do a good job at the type of films they make. Plus, so many from the past.

• Like 4

With yesterday's estimates $27.5m-$28m (depending on the source, I picked as usual the smaller one)

Rank Title(click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross Year^
1 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
2 Titanic Par. $658,672,302 1997^
3 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015

4 Star Wars estimated BV $628,449,526 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012

Today... will it reach JW or not, that is the question here.....

Beside that:

‘Star Wars’ Overtakes ‘Titanic’ In UK; Sets New IMAX Record

After 13 days of release in the UK, Star Wars The Force Awakens has grossed £83.5M ($123.8M). This is the biggest offshore territory for the film thus far where it has now capsized Titanic as the 4th highest-grossing movie in local industry history. It is also the fastest film to ever make it to £80M, beating the previous record held by Skyfall which took 23 days to get there. JJ Abrams’ continuation of the epic saga has now become Disney's biggest title ever in the territory.

With $161.2M, Skyfall is the UK’s No. 1 movie ever, followed by Avatar ($150M) and this year’s Spectre ($138.3M). Star Wars should handily jump past the latest James Bond within the next few days.

In further milestones, SWTFA has taken over £8.2M ($12.16M) in IMAX, besting Spectre‘s previous UK record. The BFI London is now the biggest grossing IMAX cinema in the world for The Force.

....Factoring in estimated Wednesday domestic grosses of roughly $27.5M-$27.9M, the North American cume will advance Episode VII to No. 4 on the domestic all-time chart. It’s expected that international and domestic will each get to $700M this weekend.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Ridley Scott has been riding off making Gladiator for 15 years now lol 

He's very hit or miss just like he was before Gladiator. He has done some very good and some embarassing movies since Gladiator.

22 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Ridley Scott has been riding off making Gladiator for 15 years now lol 

most of his stuff is good. And to be fair its hard to top Gladiator, that film was amazing. I will say Robin Hood was boring as hell.

The Martian was a big comeback for him box office wise. 

• Like 1

The Revenant is estimated to be in 3,000+ theaters next weekend. What is everyone expecting from that box office-wise? I guess it's gonna be something of a testament to Leo's drawing power if he's able to get plenty of people to sit through a movie that promises 2 1/2 hours of nothing but total misery.

2 minutes ago, Joel M said:

^

I think Leo can open it to 25-30M but after that I don't know how it'll play. A lot of people who have seen it think GA is gonna hate it.

Everything I've gathered from it makes it sound like the ultimate "feel bad" experience, which combined with a long running time are not qualities that audiences seek when going to the movies for the most part. Of course, Sicario did well just a few months ago and that wasn't exactly an uplifting film but then that didn't carry the massive budget that this ended up reaching.

57 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

With yesterday's estimates $27.5m-$28m (depending on the source, I picked as usual the smaller one)

Rank Title(click to view) Studio Lifetime Gross Year^
1 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
2 Titanic Par. $658,672,302 1997^
3 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015

4 Star Wars estimated BV $628,449,526 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012

Today... will it reach JW or not, that is the question here.....

Beside that:

‘Star Wars’ Overtakes ‘Titanic’ In UK; Sets New IMAX Record

After 13 days of release in the UK, Star Wars The Force Awakens has grossed £83.5M ($123.8M). This is the biggest offshore territory for the film thus far where it has now capsized Titanic as the 4th highest-grossing movie in local industry history. It is also the fastest film to ever make it to £80M, beating the previous record held by Skyfall which took 23 days to get there. JJ Abrams’ continuation of the epic saga has now become Disney's biggest title ever in the territory.

With $161.2M, Skyfall is the UK’s No. 1 movie ever, followed by Avatar ($150M) and this year’s Spectre ($138.3M). Star Wars should handily jump past the latest James Bond within the next few days.

In further milestones, SWTFA has taken over £8.2M ($12.16M) in IMAX, besting Spectre‘s previous UK record. The BFI London is now the biggest grossing IMAX cinema in the world for The Force.

....Factoring in estimated Wednesday domestic grosses of roughly $27.5M-$27.9M, the North American cume will advance Episode VII to No. 4 on the domestic all-time chart. It’s expected that international and domestic will each get to $700M this weekend.

Not surprised to see BFI IMAX at the top worldwide. It's sold out literally every single showtime since the day it opened, and continues to do so.

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 4

bs2ZMBAAAgkD179oxrGQAAAIL7PzpxpxRm9edJAA

IMPORTANT NOTE: Thursdays (todays) change for JW is -5%, I manually changed it too -20%. This changes the final number by over 100m.

I think Star Wars will have harder drops because it has bigger numbers. However it's curve will imo look close to JW but hit towards the 1.05b mark

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 75live said:

wait I thought "someone" said the Revenant was opening to $70-$80 mil for the weekend?

;)  :P 

LOL crack is whack. If it even makes that in total it'll be something of a success (not compared to its budget obviously this is clearly more of an artistic gamble).

• Like 1

Avatar won't fall any later than the end of Tuesday. First, I don't think the weekend will be below $100M, or not much below anyway. Second, if this mid-week is, say, $110M, which is about right, next week will dive because of the holidays ending but should still be good for $40M total, or about $10M per day. Worst case scenario as you note is $740M by the end of the weekend, which is $760M by the end of Tuesday. There's some small chance it stands at something silly like $759M by the end of Tuesday though I'd say it's unlikely. 

As for The Revenant, it's a good movie. It's not a great movie. That's probably even worse coming from me because I'm a complete sucker for revenge films. They are one of my favorite movie types because they're SO easy to get emotionally invested in. I love the good ones (Gladiator, Braveheart) and even the more mediocre ones (Payback, The Punisher, etc.), just because they're fun to watch. I love The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) and saw it 3 times in theaters, and most people don't seem to think much of that film; I thought it was great. So for me, The Revenant was a bit disappointing. Still a good movie, though, worth seeing, just probably not a big crowd pleaser. 

What I can't believe is they let him spend $135M on that movie. It's probably one of the worst examples in cinema history of dollars spent to quality of the filmmaking. It looks like maybe a $50M movie unless they paid Leo $100 million. For god's sake, JURASSIC WORLD cost $150 million! Think about that. They built huge sets for the film, there is tons of CG, the movie looks absolutely amazing, and it cost just a few million more than The Revenant?! Yikes, who embezzled money from that production? There's just no excuse. Bridge of Spies apparently cost like $40 million and it looks at least as good as The Revenant. I'm just so confused by that budget number.

• Like 1