#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

Decent number....... Still on track for 1B but it's not a lock.

Proceeding with my LOTR2 comparison, TFA's Saturday gross is 3.27x of LOTR2. LOTR2 made 85.5M after Saturday. If TFA holds the same, it will make further 279.5M, which means exact 1B finish.

• Like 1

Total by end of Friday 686m

Sat +35m: 721

Sun: +22m: 743

Mon: +9m: 752

Tues: +7m: 759m

Wens +7m: 766m

Thurs +6m: 772m

Fri +12m: 790m

Sat +22m: 812m

Sun +14m: 826m (48m weekend)

Mon +6m: 832m

tues +5m: 837m

wens +5m: 842m
thurs +4m: 848m

weekend +25m: 873m

Then from here it's going to be grinding it's way to 1bil, if it makes more than 1b it won't be much higher.

Am I on the mark or far off?

9 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Forecast summary, (for the newbes: those sites do them at different week days, so they have different knowledge about recent actuals. Deadline's jump sometimes more than once per day, they adjust a lot)

SW 7

BOM $104.4m

BO.com $95m (earlier in the week they had it at $98m)

DL $90-$94m (~ just updated)

Daddy's Home

BOM $26.34m

BO.com $29m

DL $28-$29m

The Hateful Eight

BOM $24.9m (I think that was before the report of the burning film roll appeared)

BO.com $16.7m

DL $17m

Joy

BOM $12.76m

BO.com $10.5m

DL $10.4-$11m

Sisters

BOM $11.64m

BO.com $12.6m

DL %12.1-$12.5m

Rather differing estimats I think

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

BoxOffice websites predictions were far off the Mark. They said 110m right, oppsie

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mikeymichael said:

What is the chance that there is a grassroots movement among SW diehards to keep buying tickets to push this thing over 1B if it looks like it might fall short? Cause it looks like it might.

I think there is a good chance Disney will buy $50 million in tickets to give to orphans to get it over $1 billion, they haven't shown much interest in fudging numbers for milestones, but that's one i'm sure they want.

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think next saturday is the first day Avatar outpaces TFA, then he does so everyday for the rest of TFA's run. I think we will be finishing just under 1b

What total gross are we on right now?

Avatar made 330 million after Jan 10. TFA will likely be 180 million away from 1 billion. It could be outpaced by over around 90% at that point and still get a billion. The key for TFA to make 1 billion is a sub 50% drop next weekend (low 40s would help alot). 

The following weekend is a holiday weekend so the drops should be blunted. I expect to be around 870 after MLK 4 day. The question become can TFA mainstain steady drops to get 13 million of Jan 17. JW made 120 million after its 32nd day. So it just need to hold a tad better that point in its run. 

Edited by tokila

Predecting next week:

SUN: 22.0 (743M cume)

MON: 7.5 (-66%)

TUE: 8.0

WED: 6.0

THU: 5.5

FRI: 13.0 (+135%)

SAT: 22.5 (+73%)

SUN: 14.5 (-36%)

WEEKEND: 50M (820M cume)

So 77M Mon-Sun. 30% weekly drops will give further 180M, i.e. 1B finish!!!!!!!

Gonna be close.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

This is how we get Avatar discussions in numbers threads...

But avatar is toast. this record is not getting touched for the next 9-10 years. opening weekend will but not total DOM. Avatar is the cousin no one wanted in the family album and now is being carved out by TFA

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

If this gets 23M tomorrow and holds like Avatar we're looking at a 10.7M Monday.

What other movies other than ROTK and Avatar opened on the 18th DEC? I know Titanic did but it's too old to compare.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

How much would a BP Oscar nod bump it's numbers or is it too big for that to have much of an effect?

FTR I expect TFA, MMFR, IO and one of Creed or SOC to all get BP nods. They have up to 10 slots for BP and are putting on a TV show engaging the masses is a good idea.

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I am not so sure about it as it's a bit like coming out of a long weekend Friday on one side, but it's a smaller than usual Friday see the New Year Day chart, so...

Avatar has the same week-days in releation to days-in-release as SW 7, but as it started began under it's possibilities (snow storm / weather), and gained strongly via WOM over the next 2 weeks, broke then itself the New Year Day record in a big way at Friday (as SW 7 did yesterday too) = Avatars bump to Saturday was 2.2%

But if you compare the daily / week-day in relation to last week changes they do not have the same pattern in that detail anyway.

Someone (druv10?) uses Avatar +32% or so. That would mean e.g. Sa Avatar $25,835,551 + 32% = ~ $34m

In case it was +30% = ~ $33.5m

Someone else (Fake?) uses LotR 2 (Two Towers) = times 3.something (3.4?) I forgot the exact .x

times 3.0 would be $32m, times 3.1 = $33m, times 3.2 = ~ $34m....

Me = I do not do prognosis, but I think it's fascinating to observe such findings and how much / how long they are ~ good

17 minutes ago, Fake said:

Proceeding with my LOTR2 comparison, TFA's Saturday gross is 3.27x of LOTR2. LOTR2 made 85.5M after Saturday. If TFA holds the same, it will make further 279.5M, which means exact 1B finish.

hah, it was you! I am still impressed about finding this LotR 2 thingie, I stopped then at LotR 3

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

This is how we get Avatar discussions in numbers threads...

it's annoying (and I even like Avatar)

about Fake... in relation to your prediction: he/she uses that model since a time = not compareable, no basis for that conclusion

Would have been fun to see it hit 100+ mil this weekend, but it's still passing 700 today in 16 days. Something that only Avatar had done, and it took that film 72 days. And it will pass 750 in 18 days, 800 mil in 23 days, and be closing in on 900 mil in its first month of release. What an incredible run TFA is having. 

• Like 1