#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

18 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

I think TFA's run has brought a number of trolls on board (just as I'm sure Avatar's run back in the day). 

Whenever a movie breaks records there's always a vocal minority that loves to chirp as loud as possible. 

36 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

True. Titanic will win the battle when adjusted for inflation. Of course, TFA's amazing run is at a time when ticket prices have increased and ticket attendance has gone down since 1997. The tickets are more expensive so it's making more money without inflation...but believe it or not, it's actually more impressive to me that a movie sells lots of tickets at the current price than when a movie sold lots of tickets when they were cheaper.

They weren't actually cheaper before. Prices are just inflated now compared to them. 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Speaking of 13 Hours, did Lone Survivor (2013) start the whole pro-military movie in January tradition?

1 hour ago, department store basement said:

Zero Dark Thirty (2012)

It goes back a lot further than that. If you expand it out to "drama to appeal to older men" you get things like Gran Torino. But I think the patient zero for this sort was Black Hawk Down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

SW gonna get a ton of publicity again this week when it passes Avatar and a lot the week after with an Oscar nomination.  Might make for better than expected holds.

For a film already this big, it will hardly help. An Oscar nom didnt really help Avatar.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Moviedweeb said:

They weren't actually cheaper before. Prices are just inflated now compared to them. 

http://www.davemanuel.com/the-cost-of-a-movie-ticket-throughout-the-years-166/

A movie ticket price in 1996 is $4.42 which set to the inflation rate would come out to $6.46 in 2013 dollars. And yet in 2012 movie tickets were $7.92. That's more expensive unless the dollar really fell between 2012 and 2013 (spoiler: it didn't). Movie tickets don't follow the CPI.

http://collider.com/movie-ticket-price-inflation-statistics/

So tickets are more expensive since 1996. You can argue it's not that significant but for people living paycheck to paycheck and with the rise of other competing entertainment sources since 1996, some people might not think it's worth going to the movie theater unless a movie can really sell them.

• Like 4

I have to shake my head at all the people proposing that Disney move Ep. VIII to December 2017.   First, Avatar 2 is likely already there.   Second, since when did December surpass summer as the best time to release a blockbuster?  When you look at the top 10 all-time domestic films (unadjusted), there are 3 out of 10 of the Top 10 films released in December -- and two of these three were outlier films done by the same director.   When you look at the top 50 all-time domestic films (unadjusted), 6 out of the 50 all-time top films were December releases.  That's not exactly a trend toward suggesting that December is a great month for blockbuster releases (understanding that there is a base rate problem because most studios don't release the same proportional number of blockbusters in December).  To the contrary, the data points toward summer remaining the best time to release a film like Star Wars, and the three December monsters (Titanic, Avatar and TFA) are anomalies -- their success speaks more to the quality of the films, as they would have been smashes at any time, rather than the December release date.

Simply put, the advantage of a 2.5 week concentrated period of attendance (Dec. 18 - Jan. 3) doesn't offset an entire summer period of kids with no school, particularly for a film that draws on school-age kids, like Star Wars.  Nor is the competition necessarily that fierce in summertime.  For instance, look at the releases around Ep. VIII.   You have Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 3, and it will have burned off 3 weeks of demand before Ep. VIII arrives on May 26.  You have Terminator 59 (or whatever number it is) the week before, but that series is just about dead in the US, so limited competition in its second week for Ep. VII.  You have nothing of consequence release on May 26 nor on the June 2 week thereafter.  So, Ep. VIII will have about a two-week run nearly free of any significant competition.   Then on June 9 you have Divergent (minor competition) and World War Z 2 (that might get a moderate opening weekend, so you can't say it's competition free, but not a massive competitor for Ep. VIII).  Then June 16, Cars 3 (not a huge title, but still Pixar) and Kingsman 2 (again, those are moderate competitors - neither expected to be a blockbuster competitor), June 23 Wonder Woman.  June 30 is Despicable Me 3 and Uncharted --  DM3 will be real competition. 

So, despite being a summer release, Ep. VIII will have a 2-week fairly unimpeded run, a third week with some moderate competition, and essentially won't be running into major competition until about 30 days into its run.  Thereafter, it benefits from unlimited schools' out days throughout June and July.

If I were Disney's distribution chief (and I should be!), I would not change to Dec. 2017 -- I think Ep. VIII has as good, if not better, chances of making money in summer vs. December. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, bladels said:

Can Cameron fans/Star Wars haters shut up about Avatar WW already?  You sounds like a broken record.

Nobody thought TFA is gonna beat Avatar WW. 

How many times do we have to praise Avatar WW to make you feel better? We are not your baby sisters. 

I know, it is somewhat pathetic to see the amount of potshots at TFA, with people braying about "adjusted grosses" (when those same adjustments were conveniently ignored in terms of Avatar's run).  I am huge Star Wars fan and am happy to see it unseat Avatar and Titanic, at least domestically, but I never felt a need to denigrate Titanic's or Avatar's runs, as those were also amazing under any metric.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

WB what about all of the surcharges related to 3D/IMAX these days? Has to be taken into account as well. Same with rereleases among the top films adjusted.

Yeah, a lot of the top films were adjusted but I think BOM only includes the first-run (or the first year) in the adjusted chart. As for the surcharges, I think if you charge more for tickets and being able to sell bucketloads of tickets is impressive. Being able to sell tickets at premium costs? That's even more impressive. I know a lot of people are like "oh, that's just IMAX and 3D prices artificially inflating the gross" but...that meant a lot of people were still willing to pay more for the ticket because they wanted a better experience.

I think my original point though was the simply adjusting for inflation doesn't actually add perspective. _______ came out at a very specific point in time and it's hard to believe it would be able to have the same run if it came out now. You aren't really adding perspective in that case and you are also trying to force a comparison between two runs that doesn't completely hold. _____ might have sold more tickets but TFA was able to get people to pay more for each ticket.

______ selling more tickets doesn't mean it actually wins. I think we can all agree that _____ had an amazing and impressive run. I think we can all agree that TFA is having an amazing and impressive run. Trying to take away from that run because other runs are better if you "adjust" (but not adjusting to the changing marketplace/economy/competition/etc, just the changing ticket price) is ignoring a lot of other factors and doesn't take away from TFA's run IMO.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

http://www.davemanuel.com/the-cost-of-a-movie-ticket-throughout-the-years-166/

A movie ticket price in 1996 is $4.42 which set to the inflation rate would come out to $6.46 in 2013 dollars. And yet in 2012 movie tickets were $7.92. That's more expensive unless the dollar really fell between 2012 and 2013 (spoiler: it didn't). Movie tickets don't follow the CPI.

http://collider.com/movie-ticket-price-inflation-statistics/

So tickets are more expensive since 1996. You can argue it's not that significant but for people living paycheck to paycheck and with the rise of other competing entertainment sources since 1996, some people might not think it's worth going to the movie theater unless a movie can really sell them.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. 

18 minutes ago, DarthOpeningGross said:

I have to shake my head at all the people proposing that Disney move Ep. VIII to December 2017.   First, Avatar 2 is likely already there.   Second, since when did December surpass summer as the best time to release a blockbuster?

First, Avatar 2 is not coming out in less than 2 years. Second, since about 3 weeks ago

• Like 5

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

@kayumanggi

Now I took a look. It's even worse than I thought, like I said, certain countries... report later, partly way later

So not only are the numbers not useable in the way he intended, they are not even useable (now) in the calendar way.

I'll add spoiler tags as this will probably not interest all (especially as incomplete anyway)

But all the major markets already opened, right except for China? But yes, the numbers will obviously be different since the release patterns are different.

39 minutes ago, DarthOpeningGross said:

I have to shake my head at all the people proposing that Disney move Ep. VIII to December 2017.   First, Avatar 2 is likely already there.   Second, since when did December surpass summer as the best time to release a blockbuster?  When you look at the top 10 all-time domestic films (unadjusted), there are 3 out of 10 of the Top 10 films released in December -- and two of these three were outlier films done by the same director.   When you look at the top 50 all-time domestic films (unadjusted), 6 out of the 50 all-time top films were December releases.  That's not exactly a trend toward suggesting that December is a great month for blockbuster releases (understanding that there is a base rate problem because most studios don't release the same proportional number of blockbusters in December).  To the contrary, the data points toward summer remaining the best time to release a film like Star Wars, and the three December monsters (Titanic, Avatar and TFA) are anomalies -- their success speaks more to the quality of the films, as they would have been smashes at any time, rather than the December release date.

Simply put, the advantage of a 2.5 week concentrated period of attendance (Dec. 18 - Jan. 3) doesn't offset an entire summer period of kids with no school, particularly for a film that draws on school-age kids, like Star Wars.  Nor is the competition necessarily that fierce in summertime.  For instance, look at the releases around Ep. VIII.   You have Guardians of the Galaxy 2 on May 3, and it will have burned off 3 weeks of demand before Ep. VIII arrives on May 26.  You have Terminator 59 (or whatever number it is) the week before, but that series is just about dead in the US, so limited competition in its second week for Ep. VII.  You have nothing of consequence release on May 26 nor on the June 2 week thereafter.  So, Ep. VIII will have about a two-week run nearly free of any significant competition.   Then on June 9 you have Divergent (minor competition) and World War Z 2 (that might get a moderate opening weekend, so you can't say it's competition free, but not a massive competitor for Ep. VIII).  Then June 16, Cars 3 (not a huge title, but still Pixar) and Kingsman 2 (again, those are moderate competitors - neither expected to be a blockbuster competitor), June 23 Wonder Woman.  June 30 is Despicable Me 3 and Uncharted --  DM3 will be real competition. 

So, despite being a summer release, Ep. VIII will have a 2-week fairly unimpeded run, a third week with some moderate competition, and essentially won't be running into major competition until about 30 days into its run.  Thereafter, it benefits from unlimited schools' out days throughout June and July.

If I were Disney's distribution chief (and I should be!), I would not change to Dec. 2017 -- I think Ep. VIII has as good, if not better, chances of making money in summer vs. December. 

"Sir, Dec movies became the highest grossing film of alltime, three times in a row."

"Who gives a shit. Summer is still the best time for Star Wars."

"2 of those 3 are original movies, and the other 1 is a franchise movie.  They all did it in Dec."

"That 1 franchise movie IS Star Wars! And it's doing it right now!"

"Let me repeat sir: RIGHT NOW A DECEMBER STAR WARS MOVIE IS BECOMING THE HIHGEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME!"

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 4

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

"Sir, Dec movies became the highest grossing film of alltime, three times in a row."

"2 of those 3 are original movies, and the other 1 is a franchise movie.  They all did it in Dec."

"That 1 franchise movie IS Star Wars! And it's doing it right now!"

"Let me repeat sir: RIGHT NOW A DECEMBER STAR WARS MOVIE IS BECOMING THE HIHGEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME!"

"Hey guys. Now that Star Wars has broken records in the summer and in January and now in December, I think it means that the only way Star Wars will have an amazing huge gross is if it releases in December."

• Like 1

Seriously guys, Star Wars could release at any time of the year and would break records, that's just how it is.

People back then were saying that "Star Wars couldn't ever beat OW record because it releases in December", and now that it did, everyone's like "IT HAS TO RELEASE IN DECEMBER TO MAKE MONEY"

Wrong - Star Wars just proved that it can release at any time of the year that it wants, it's still gonna break records anyway. Don't become the next wave of naysayers, please.

I'd be willing to bet that it could destroy records in September too. Seriously.

• Like 6