#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

52 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So... After all of the jokes, Star Wars condoms DO exist!

I actually want that R2-D2 Car Charger... And the Admiral Ackbar Fish... And dang it practically all of it.

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Franchises with multiple yearly #1's

Star Wars: 6 ('77, '80, '83, '99, '05, '15)

Batman: 2 ('89, '08)

Spider-Man: 2 ('02, '07)

Toy Story: 2 ('95, '10)

Harry Potter: 2 ('01, '11)

Poor old Attack of the Clones (not really), the odd one out.

But these numbers pale in comparison to the estimated merchandise revenue. According to analyst Tim Nollen of Macquarie Securities, the year following the December 18th premiere of The Force Awakens will see $5 billion in franchise merchandise revenue.

Impressed yet? Well, Star Wars creator George Lucas has earned approximately $20 billion from merchandise sales in the brand’s 38 years. From licensed merchandise alone, The franchise will likely generate a quarter of that impressive revenue in one year.

I know this is a box office site, but this is why Disney is probably more concerned about the DOM box office, because that will translate most into merchandise.  The US market is notorious for tie-in merchandising sales compared to the rest of the world and those US eyeballs = ad revenue and merchandise.  While Avatar is great box office it pales in comparison as a known franchise for merchandising.  In that sense, the Marvel Universe is the same way.  Sure you want to win everything, but getting US eyeballs is more important to them than worldwide eyeballs right now.  If you can hock that merchandise ww, of course you want to, but consumer behavior differs by market.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I do have to ask.....

When will be the second time a Star Wars movie doesn't win the year DOM-wise? The first one being "Attack of the Clones" back in 2002.

2016 possibly with Rogue One, but still think it will win the year quite easily. Civil War, Finding Dory, and the Potter prequel will have something to say about that, but probably won't have enough to say. Rogue One already Fandago's most anticipated film of the year with surveys. Other than that, maybe Episode VIII could lose out to Avatar 2 in 2017. Might be a case of Star Wars overload by then, so could have a decent sized drop from TFA. Star Wars is a beast though.

Edited by MonstersandRoy

• Community Manager
6 minutes ago, rantanamo said:

I know this is a box office site, but this is why Disney is probably more concerned about the DOM box office, because that will translate most into merchandise.  The US market is notorious for tie-in merchandising sales compared to the rest of the world and those US eyeballs = ad revenue and merchandise.  While Avatar is great box office it pales in comparison as a known franchise for merchandising.  In that sense, the Marvel Universe is the same way.  Sure you want to win everything, but getting US eyeballs is more important to them than worldwide eyeballs right now.  If you can hock that merchandise ww, of course you want to, but consumer behavior differs by market.

Box office can also tie into other things like because this movie made so much money domestic, they can go to US Netflix or HBO or FX and sell TFA at a premium price. FX/HBO don't care about international grosses.

9 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I do have to ask.....

When will be the second time a Star Wars movie doesn't win the year DOM-wise? The first one being "Attack of the Clones" back in 2002.

This year 50/50 I could see either Rogue One of Finding Dory winning the year.

The tie-ins for Star Wars is pretty incredible, even before the film started, most of the ads were Star Wars related from Subway to HP, makes up for the fact that thanksfully SW has no product placement unlike Spectre, Avengers or JW.

• Community Manager
13 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I do have to ask.....

I don't have current sources to back this up, but the last time we checked into this kind of stuff, television deals for films are usually 15% of the box office.  So if a film grosses 100 million, the network that wins the rights to it pays 15 million dollars for the rights to broadcast the film for life.  I have no idea if a network would actually pay 150 million dollars to Disney to have the broadcast rights anymore, but that was the going rate  last time I checked.

Also, you don't think Disney paid four billion just for theatrical money, do you?  SW has been one of if not the biggest merchandise seller in movie history.  They have probably already made their investment back.  There was an article that discussed how CARS was a 10 billion dollar merchandising cow for Pixar and that their take of that was about 10%.  So if the same deals applies to SW, you can see how the numbers will add up to a billion very quickly.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

I don't have current sources to back this up, but the last time we checked into this kind of stuff, television deals for films are usually 15% of the box office.  So if a film grosses 100 million, the network that wins the rights to it pays 15 million dollars for the rights to broadcast the film for life.  I have no idea if a network would actually pay 150 million dollars to Disney to have the broadcast rights anymore, but that was the going rate  last time I checked.

Also, you don't think Disney paid four billion just for theatrical money, do you?  SW has been one of if not the biggest merchandise seller in movie history.  They have probably already made their investment back.  There was an article that discussed how CARS was a 10 billion dollar merchandising cow for Pixar and that their take of that was about 10%.  So if the same deals applies to SW, you can see how the numbers will add up to a billion very quickly.

They don't broadcast the film for life for $15 million. They pay for the first-run broadcast rights which they have for a couple years.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Franchises with multiple yearly #1's

Star Wars: 6 ('77, '80, '83, '99, '05, '15)

Batman: 2 ('89, '08)

Spider-Man: 2 ('02, '07)

Toy Story: 2 ('95, '10)

Harry Potter: 2 ('01, '11)

Bummer Star Wars couldn't win 2002 as well. I was reading the other day about how AOTC had one of the worst marketing campaigns for a movie of its size. That plus the post-9/11 Spider-Man hype was its undoing, IMO.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, MonstersandRoy said:

Clone Wars has been erased from memory/histroy.

It launched a six-season series that became a fan favorite and was received pretty well. It's one of the few Expanded Universe products to come over to the new canon. The movie was a success by every measure it was expected of it. So no, I will not erase it from memory/history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

They don't broadcast the film for life for $15 million. They pay for the first-run broadcast rights which they have for a couple years.

Thanks for clearing that up.  I know Spike TV paid for lifetime broadcast rights, so I guess I got confused there.