#ED

Weekend Actuals: The Force Awakens - 90.2M !!!

So Sunday first sub $20m day for Star Wars. $19.42m. Hopefully that goes up when proper numbers come through so get at least $90m weekend. It's crazy really that I'm even slightly disappointed by that number. TFA has been setting it's own standards, and beating the 3rd weekend record by $20m should be seen as an incredible achievement (it is). That this number could even have a tinge of disappointment attached to it is mental really :lol:. We've been so spoilt by TFA numbers. No.1 film dom of all time in next 2-3 days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

Beyond that, you guys if you follow the box office can do basic math. TPM sold 85 million tickets. Was it THAT hard to imagine with the original cast back that TFA could sell 85 million tickets...? Nobody here should be saying, "Whoa, who ever thought Star Wars could beat Avatar?" Umm, everyone I know on Facebook? People who don't know the box office from a hole in the wall? Is this a case where the experts are just not as "with it" or something? lol

You're kinda right here. I remember back in March I told someone there was no chance Star Wars would beat Avatar just because it's a franchise movie. My friend who doesn't follow box office but is a huge movie fan told me I was crazy because Star Wars is Star Wars, but I didn't agree at all. I changed my tune after the pre-sales, but yeah, I was blinded by old trends and the idea of Star Wars not being able to capture new audiences.

Edited by Blan Solo
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

No problem with both POV, (I like both movies), but why 'celebrate'? I really do not understand that, especially as that might hurt feelings of others or?

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA: $58.3M Overseas Total / $82.2M Global Total

CREED: $11.8M Overseas Total / $115.3M Global Total

1. Because that's great when this kind of records is broken, it doesn't happen every year after all!

2. Hurting their feelings? Come on it's about box office numbers, why would normal people be hurt? If they're not able to bear that they will collapse when a terrible event comes in their everyday life..

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, DarthWalker said:

Not to shed light on an obviously trolling article but admit it 1B DOM is DEAD

Had no interest in either but surprised daddy's home stayed a head of hateful 8

Not even close to dead. Avatar made $400 million more after this point in it's run and TFA is still pulling in higher totals so I think it can manage $260 million more.....

Just now, Fullbuster said:

why would normal people be hurt? If they're not able to bear that they will collapse when a terrible even comes in their everyday life..

i dont know, but as extreme as some here acted the last few days I can it only explain myself with them having hurt feelings already, then each word might get misunderstood

I compare it to sport fans, who's team lost a championchip, even if that doesn't really match as the movies do not run at the same time and only once... mostly

However, I try to give soft hints to not add oil to the fire (thread was already locked, a lot of posts movies and ...)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Not even close to dead. Avatar made $400 million more after this point in it's run and TFA is still pulling in higher totals so I think it can manage $260 million more.....

I will be shocked if TFA gets to $1 Billion DOM. Now that the holidays are over, expect the numbers to tumble. $875m sounds about right from here on out. 

Disney is underestimating the weekend. I'll bet it ends up at 90m when actuals come in. 

BOM says in their write up that rival studios  have it closer to 91m. 

Either way, it's still a fantastic number. I'll never call an 88m third weekend a disappointment. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

No problem with both POV, (I like both movies), but why 'celebrate'? I really do not understand that, especially as that might hurt feelings of others or?

IN THE HEART OF THE SEA: $58.3M Overseas Total / $82.2M Global Total

CREED: $11.8M Overseas Total / $115.3M Global Total

I can understand "celebration", it's almost like supporting your team, hockey, football, tenis, etc.... and yes, it will hurt feelings of others ;)
nature of sport :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

i dont know, but as extreme as some here acted the last few days I can it only explain myself with them having hurt feelings already, then each word might get misunderstood

I compare it to sport fans, who's team lost a championchip, even if that doesn't really match as the movies do not run at the same time and only once... mostly

However, I try to give soft hints to not add oil to the fire (thread was already locked, a lot of posts movies and ...)

I always try not to hurt people's feelings but sorry to tell it but they're hurt just because of numbers they need to man up, I don't intend to care about their feelings, not when it comes to BO numbers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I will be shocked if TFA gets to $1 Billion DOM. Now that the holidays are over, expect the numbers to tumble. $875m sounds about right from here on out. 

Lol seriously? That's literally impossible. Even if it drops 50% EVERY WEEK for the the next month it gets to $930 million. 

• Like 2

I am happy knowing that an R-rated film starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler will actually end up outgrossing and outprofiting a PG-13-rated, preordained name-above-the-title "smash" starring Jennifer Lawrence (especially since the former is actually good and the latter is a turd).

And yes, I am a fan of Jlaw's, but Joy is depressingly bad (in my opinion).

Edited by Cochofles

To expand on this I get the feeling November 2019 is under serious consideration for episode ix as after 2 delays and other restructurings of the phase 3 slate there is still nit a marvel studios film in that slot even with 3 2020 dates already reserved

Calling it now VIII stays in May for anniversary but to maximize potential profit for both it and infinity war IX moves to either November or December depending on avatars status

• Like 1

@SteveJaros is either the biggest troll on this site or he just doesnt understand how box office works. I'm going with the first one. I believe he is a troll because even the most basic rudimentary kindergarten level of understanding of box office and you would know that Star Wars will get past 900 million.

• Like 7