druv10

8M TFA Rth Monday number!!! SW7 has surpassed TA1 & F7 for 4th alltime WW!!!

20 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

So Latin America and Asia not feeling the force? Numbers seem low for SK...

SK top 15 of all time:

only #3 (or #4) = Avatar and #15 = AoU (or #13,#14,#15, depending on the date someone calculates the exchange rates or if you count $ or admissions) = non Asian movies

SW 7 runs there against an actual blockbuster, that opened 1 day before it, and some more local and non-local movies.

I think ppl will have to adjust to a growing local movies market in several countries, including SK and China

and before someone asks about Russia...

exch_chart.jpg

SISTERS took in $1.13M on Monday and has grossed $63.02M to date domestically.

Edited by terrestrial
added chart and a detail
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, movieboner said:

If TFA doesn't outgross Avatar worldwide at the box office, it'll still make a lot more with the insane amount of merchandise sold.

Forget all the other toys. Just those BB-8 Phone-controlled droids will get it there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Hey, how about we debate something simpler: who was the better home run hitter, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, or Barry Bonds? Clearly the numbers must show us a definitive answer, right?

Hidden Content

Why, that would be Babe Ruth of course. He got his own candy bar. Try to beat that Star Wa... ... eh? Er. Ah, don't mind that.

Spoiler

7210023172_2d60f2746c_b.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

they had 17% increase from weekend to week end, I am sooo curious how leggy it might end there

Considering how weak yen is at the moment, I see it finishing ariund 100-105M. Spectacular result and first live action to hit 10B yen since AIW.

• Like 2

Sisters $1,133,125 -61% 2,978 16 $380 $63,017,235   Universal
  The Danish Girl $157,582 -60% 449 9 $351 $6,207,931   Focus
  Spotlight $114,365 -58% 385 -95 $297 $27,223,337   Open Road
  Krampus $66,140 -59% 663 -505 $100 $42,343,870   Universal
  Secret in Their Eyes $4,597 -58% 67 -5 $69 $20,123,631   STX Entertainment
  Suffragette $2,099 -53% 21 -2 $100 $4,670,702   Focus
  Legend (2015) $2,085 -29% 13 -6 $160 $1,867,859   Universal
  The Letters $485 -68% 6 -1 $81 $1,632,949   Freestyle Releasing
  Woodlawn $467 -61% 8 0 $58 $14,381,066   Pure Flix

repeat post:, still estimates

Star Wars 7 $8,000,000 -63% 4,134 0 $1,935 $750,208,942 3 Disney

2 minutes ago, druv10 Maul said:

Considering how weak ALL currencies vs the $ are at the moment, I see it finishing ariund 100-105M. Spectacular result and first live action to hit 10B yen since AIW.

FYP dude, going to affect the Chinese sales a little too now that the yuan is unpegged.

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

After 17 days JW made $ 500 mln, then only 152, TFA needs 258mln, it's 70% more, so if JW made 6.5 mln in 18th day TFA should have 11 mln, so i don't really understand how TFA can make 1 bln. 

Jan vs july weekdays

Look at the next weekend and you see that it will be up 66%~ over JW  with a holiday weekend to follow. Capisce now?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, movieboner said:

If TFA doesn't outgross Avatar worldwide at the box office, it'll still make a lot more with the insane amount of merchandise sold.

Utter nonsense. Every child I know owns multiple human Jake Sully figures.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Baumer said:

Average based on what?  You can't compare this film to Avatar.  They are following completely different paths now.  Return of the King fell 68% on its first Monday.  Desolation of Smaug fell 66%.  Falling 63% is far from average, it actually pretty good.  The week day numbers aren't really going to determine whether or not this hits a billion or not, its the weekend numbers.  But calling this an average hold is wrong.  I was expecting a 7.2-7.4 Monday.  This number surprises me in a good way.

Bad Sunday hold?  In what universe is a the best hold in the top 12 and a 37.5% drop on a back to school Sunday a "bad drop"?  There is nothing remotely bad about that drop.  If you are comparing it to Avatar, then you are forgetting that TFA at the same point in their run is 400 million ahead of Avatar.  Avatar is not the right film to compare it to.  SW is a beast unto itself.  And why would we see a 15-20% drop on Tuesday?  If anything it will go up by about 8-10%.  Wednesday it'll probably drop by 25-30% because that's just how films behave when people are back to school.  

With an 8 mill Monday, imo, that puts it on pace for a 50 mill weekend.  

I just don't understand how anyone can say that this hold is bad or mediocre.  It's actually better than most films first post holiday Monday.  There's the terrific website you may have heard of called boxofficemojo.com  You should use it before calling a 63% mediocre.  

No its a great hold, but also most movies are not shooting for 1 billion DOM. So there is really no comparison. I look at BOM a good bit. There is not one movie that is a good comparison on there. TFA is unique. People should stop pretending like you can try to apply Hobbit, Avatar, LOTR, or any other freaking movie to it, they wont work. 

Like I said its relative. 8 mil is great in the grand scheme of things it is .5mil above what JW did its 3rd Monday and it had the summer advantage. TFA is 240 mil above JW right now at same point in its run, TFA needs to add 110 million above what JW did to get 1 billion. Its mediocre at best in relationship to whether or not TFA can reach 1 billion DOM.

Either way TFA has been having an amazing run. It could die out starting yesterday like a young adult novel adaption and it would not change this fact.

1 hour ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

That is such a great stat.

The only caveat is that baseball at the time wasn't home run centered.  Players were taught to slap the ball, hit line drives instead of driving the ball so when a home run hitter came along like Ruth that type of stat would be possible. There is no way Ruth could have ever done that in this day in age due to the style of play.  It's another great example of how many different factors go into comparing greatness from different eras.

Ruth changed the game with a new style that no one saw coming.

Like Lucas 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, rustyspoons89 said:

That really depends on how re-watchable ep. VIII ends up being. Sure, pretty much everyone who saw ep. 7 will see 8 at least once. But people are seeing ep7 two+ times (or more) . Not sure if Ep8 will draw the same sort of crazy repeat business... I guess we will see! 

I agree. I only saw Ep7 twice and am content till DVD/BR now though.

However, I saw Transformers & Avengers 7 times in the theater.

I only saw each TF sequel once and only saw A:AoU one additional time, for two total viewings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I am so confused. I gather it's a about a sports man, but why Ruth? It's here a female name

George Herman(Babe) Ruth, potentially the greatest baseball player ever.

• Like 3