WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

39 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

when has any movie not directed by that Jimmy guy even made $200 million after its third weekend? 

2013 at least one movie managed that.

Didn't check all of the possible titles ;)

16 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:
41 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

when has any movie not directed by that Jimmy guy even made $200 million after its third weekend?    MBFGW

is that My Big Fat... that managed to slide into the quote? Nearly missed that, thumbs up for that one :)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:
49 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

when has any movie not directed by that Jimmy guy even made $200 million after its third weekend?    MBFGW

that movie should have been renamed Titanic 2 for its fan base and unusual legs.  even so, for its first three months it was only shown in limited theaters (108-499).  it wasn't until its first wide release (1000+ theaters) that it made over $4 million for the weekend, where it continued to make over $4 million for the next 15 weekends.

Edited by lobo007

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

I am surprised that it is going to fall north of 50%.  I thought it would really have a strong weekend to get close to 50.  

It's a weird weekend. Many movies dropping 50 and 60+%. The weakest post holiday weekend I've noticed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lobo007 said:

that movie should have been renamed Titanic 2 for its fan base and unusual legs.  even so, for its first three months it was only shown in limited theaters (108-499).  it wasn't until its first wide release (1000+ theaters) that it made over $4 million for the weekend, where it continued to make over $4 million for the next 15 weekends.

1. if you want to even more narrow the conditions till they match to your try to 'proof' your point, you should have done so at the first place

2. see my 2013 post, you missed even a recent one, out of our actual time, where it is the new normal to make a very high percentage within the starting 2-3 weeks

3. you missed beside No Prisoner's example also at least one out of 1977 and 1982, both first run and not adjusted

4. Your point seem to have been that 'lesser' movies (I might have misunderstood that, but that is how I understood your wording) do not do over $200m, as already pointed out at 2. = not typical anymore nowadays, still a few managed to get rather near to that defined ammount still/too. Especially as to be expect blockbusters get usually a more concentrated summer release, means the next one typically cuts the legs of the earlier one... to a degree.

Only to be sure: typical doesn't mean impossible

5. I totally disagree to your postulation (?) how MBFGW should have been named, it has the right to get recognised on its own for its major accomplishment

6 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

My derby's fucked.  Hoping all yours are too!

I'll be doing well on Star Wars, Daddy's Home, The Big Short, Concussion, and Point Break, decent on Joy and Sisters, eh on Alvin, screwed on Revenant and H8ful. At least I have a bye week in the tournament. 

Tarantino's feud with the cops could have had an impact on the box office, as well.  He kept pushing it in interviews so it never really could completely fade away.

And I doubt WOM was that strong.  I thought the film was OK, but wouldn't have any desire to see it again.