WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

Just out of curiousity; what's the big deal about using film over digital when mists theaters have digital projection now anyway?

Isn't the movie going to be transferred to digital so it can be shown in theaters? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using film in the first place?

1 minute ago, junkshop36 said:

Just out of curiousity; what's the big deal about using film over digital when mists theaters have digital projection now anyway?

Isn't the movie going to be transferred to digital so it can be shown in theaters? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using film in the first place?

Film is easier to use for old school cinematographers and directors. They know what they want the image and lighting to look like and film can provide certain things digital can't (like grain) without having to add it after the fact.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

No matter how its projected it still looks different. Iphone footage looks different than 5D footage which looks different than the Red which looks different from the Alexa or film and do on. 

I can tell what camera they shot on usually just from a trailer, if you open your eyes to it you'll notice too. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Their plan was to strike around the time Oscar nominations were announced (does anyone expect a lesbian drama set in the 50s to ever make much otherwise?). There's still time for it to regain traction, although if it misses a Best Picture nomination then that'll be tough.

Then they should've opened it in NY/LA later, like around Christmas, so the buzz would still be there. Not like Weinstein has much else on their plate anyway

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I thought DiCaprio was pretty good in The Revenant, just like he is in most of his films. I don't really know whats so special about his performence in this film though, to win an oscar. He barely tals for most of the film.

Well...Jean Dujardin didn't talk at all. ;)

• Like 5

While this is not a good example for every film and I am no tech wizard, look at MOS and BvS they clearly have the film grain. Expendables 3 has that naturally brown uncolored Red footage look to it. The Alexa (Civil War/Winter Solider) has a kinda grey more absent of color raw look to it.  It all depends on lens and stuff too, but watch BvS, CW, and Expendables 3 trailers back to back and you will notice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I thought DiCaprio was pretty good in The Revenant, just like he is in most of his films. I don't really know whats so special about his performence in this film though, to win an oscar. He barely tals for most of the film.

I haven't see it nor do I know what happens but if he doesn't die then I give him zero chance to win. ;)

(No responses as to whether he dies or not would be greatly appreciated.)

10 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Well, the Artist was nominated for 827 oscars and no one spoke in that shit film either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarthWalker said:

If spending 2.5 hours hunting a bear is all it takes to get an Oscar then the award will have truly lost all meaning

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about if this is what you think the movie is.

• Like 4