Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd imagine the same people who enjoy Lava are the kind who love Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden. Me personally, I find them to be lows for artists who are above that. 

I like both of those songs (Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da as well) 

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was hoping that the kid from Room could sneak in because he sure was cute at the Globes on Sunday. Very much looking forward to finally seeing Room.

The movie would totally fail without his performance (even more so than w/o Larson's), so in a way it is pretty bizarre that there is such strong support for it with them, yet he wouldn't be nominated. Especially if Wallis could get in lead for Beasts of the Southern Wild a few years ago. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

The movie would totally fail without his performance (even more so than w/o Larson's), so in a way it is pretty bizarre that there is such strong support for it with them, yet he wouldn't be nominated. Especially if Wallis could get in lead for Beasts of the Southern Wild a few years ago. 

Best Actress was death that year. It was a year where even Meryl could've gotten in just for being Meryl but her movie didn't get any kind of campaign.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I thought David Poland had a solid point, which was that with extremely young kids, a performance is heavily crafted by the director (with help from their co-stars), no matter the kids' innate talent. So the nod to Abrahamson is an appreciation for Tremblay's performance.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'd imagine the same people who enjoy Lava are the kind who love Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden. Me personally, I find them to be lows for artists who are above that. 

You mean two of the best children's songs.

Regarding the whole diversity thing.  I used think that Sam Jackson, Michael B Jordan, Ryan Coogler, F Gary Gray etc were all talented individuals but since they weren't nominated I'll have to rethink my stance.  Oh wait not really because it doesn't matter.  Just like DiCaprio doesn't need a win to validate that he's a great actor.

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

I'd make an exception to Jessica Jones and maybe Daredevil.  They are on par with a lot Pixar and Studio Ghibli stuff.

But the point still stands.

I've seen all of Jessica Jones and Daredevil, and while both are pretty terrific, they don't connect to me on an emotional level, like some of my favorite Pixar and Studio Ghibli films do.

Still they're pretty great Netflix originals.

My tally for correct predictions for nominees:

Picture - 7/8

Director - 4/5

Actress - 4/5

Actor - 5/5

Supporting Actress - 4/5

Supporting Actor - 4/5

Original Screenplay - 4/5

Adapted Screenplay - 4/5

Film Editing - 4/5

Cinematography - 4/5

Production Design - 4/5

Sound Mixing - 5/5

Sound Editing - 4/5

Visual Effects - 4/5

Costume Design - 4/5

Makeup & Hairstyling - 2/3

Original Score - 4/5

Original Song - 3/5

Animated Feature Film - 4/5

Foreign Language Film - 3/5

Documentary - 3/5

Documentary (Short Subject) - 3/5

Animated Short Film - 5/5

Live Action Short Film - 5/5

TOTAL: 97/121

Not terrible, though I could have done better.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, in general, bringing this up doesn't mean the nominated performances weren't terrific or deserving- most were. But every...single....year, either 20/20 or 19/20 of the actors, almost all of the directors, and all but MAYBE one of the pictures are white, white, white. This country is about 37 percent black, Latino, mixed, or Asian. This year, we have a sum total of ONE nominee that comes from those groups-

Any issue with 75% of the NBA being black players?   Or 68% of the NFL being black players?    Should we be trying to get more white players in those leagues to address the "problem"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Impact said:

That sad moment when you realize-50 Shades has more nominations then the The Hunger Games and Mission: Impossible franchises and has the same number of nominations that the X-Men franchise has.

And 50 Shades deserved it's one nomination (maybe for the other song, but still), and THG and MI did not deserve any nominations.

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Make Up category has always been a 3 nominee only one.

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

Best Makeup & Hairstyling

Mad Max: Fury Road

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

The Revenant

One can only dream. Oh well.