Alpha

88TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS Discussion Topic (LIVE! Today's discussion begins on pg 33)

23 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The supporting actress race so far feels like in 2007 where three or four different people won at the major awards. Really curious about how the BAFTA and SAG go. I wish Leigh won but her chances don't look too good.

I'm starting to feel like Winslet is a real threat. Of course, it's irrelevant if Mara wins SAG.

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

I don't know, man. Not much of a snub since they were never in the conversation to begin with. Maybe that's the problem.

that's exactly the problem. the media that reports this stuff just parrots what leo's publicists want them to say about how cold he was instead of championing great work. that's half of it right there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm starting to feel like Winslet is a real threat. Of course, it's irrelevant if Mara wins SAG.

Winslet winning would be pretty silly since she's nothing revelatory in the movie and is the only one of the nominees who's not just a previous nominee but a winner.

I have finally seen Spotlight and Brooklyn. I only need to see Room, The Big Short and Revenant.

From what I have seen, the best movie is Brooklyn (A), followed by MMFR and Spotlight (both A-), and Bridge of Spies and The Martian (both B+). Very solid year IMHO. A shame that Inside Out didn't made the cut, though. Still the best movie of the year closely followed by Brooklyn.

Last year I was saying that they should've released Selma in this years Oscar race, like Foxcatcher had done the year before. I think the nominations all prove this would've been the right thing to do, I've no doubt that Selma would've been more of a frontrunner this year, Oyelowo would've gotten an acting nomination DuVernay could've made it into the Directing category and so-forth.

I think the problem for black people this year was that it was overall a weak year for them like last year, only Elba really stands out this year and maybe Will Smith (only because the Lead Actor category is so weak). I find that saying Michael B. Jordan or any of the SoC actors should've been nominated is a weak argument, as although they were all great, I wouldn't say they were on the same level as those nominated already in the category, and that's even with a weak one as I mentioned before.

• Like 1