efialtes76

Weekend revised estimates and 4 days totals pg 43 4 day est: RA2: 41.6: The Rev: 39.0... SW7: 32.5

1 hour ago, RogueLeader said:

I still cannot comprehend why Furious 7 made so much money in China. I don't see why it generated so much interest!

Only one reason : Paul walker.

FF8 which might come out next year will not generate much buzz and it's collections will be half of what FF7 made WW.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vadermort said:

FF8 which might come out next year will not generate much buzz and it's collections will be half of what FF7 made WW.

This. The Chinese audience reviews had many Paul Walker mentions, saying the movie's ending was a fitting tribute and sendoff.

Edited by FranMan
  • Like 2

I hope TFA AT LEAST surpasses Furious 7's International gross.

It would be pretty lame if it couldn't reach that milestone.

Do you have any idea how silly you sound?  It's lame that it made more than a billion dollars internationally?  Look, this is what has been explained to me about SW in China.  They don't know the history of SW, the originals were never released there.  So they don't have the connection to it the way many of us do.  So it was going to be a tough sell there.  Maybe this film will allow China to reach out and look at the originals and then the next couple of films will be bigger there.  Or maybe it just has its core fans and it will never break out there.  

Fast 7 has built up a fanbase around the world.  But no one can really explain why it doubled its international take except that with Paul Walker's death, it got a lot of people interested in the film.  

So go easy on your "lame" comments.  It'll be the the third of fourth highest grossing film internationally when the dust clears so there is nothing lame about that.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, RogueLeader said:

I hope TFA AT LEAST surpasses Furious 7's International gross.

It would be pretty lame if it couldn't reach that milestone.

WTF? 

There's nothing lame with TFA run.

STOP overreacting

STOP undervaluing

STOP comparing TFA to Avatar again and again and again!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Do you have any idea how silly you sound?  It's lame that it made more than a billion dollars internationally?  Look, this is what has been explained to me about SW in China.  They don't know the history of SW, the originals were never released there.  So they don't have the connection to it the way many of us do.  So it was going to be a tough sell there.  Maybe this film will allow China to reach out and look at the originals and then the next couple of films will be bigger there.  Or maybe it just has its core fans and it will never break out there.  

Fast 7 has built up a fanbase around the world.  But no one can really explain why it doubled its international take except that with Paul Walker's death, it got a lot of people interested in the film.  

So go easy on your "lame" comments.  It'll be the the third of fourth highest grossing film internationally when the dust clears so there is nothing lame about that.

Nowadays it's either HUGE or LAME, a big W or L, nothing can survive in the middle.

• Like 2

Isn't TFA's domestic and OS split quite impressive anyway, considering (1) the domestic takings broke all kinds of records, (2) the international crowd outside of Europe aren't traditional SW fans, and (3) the movie came off the back of a 10 years absence and the not-so well-received prequels. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vadermort said:

That argument doesn't make any sense to me.

Why would the Chinese give a shit about Paul Walker?

Its not like the knew the guy before the film, at all. Didn't even knew who he was. Never a big star in Asia. What? Just because some dude HAPPENS to die while a film is made, it automatically means box office gold in China? COME ON! There has to be more to it than that.

It's crazy how you can predict TFA to be the highest grossing movie ever domestically and your final prediction is actually overly cautious lol. Kind of incredible. Imagine how much crap they would have gotten if they predicted $248M OW and $920M cumulative hahaha people would have been like whoa what are those clowns smoking?! I want some!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

Its not like the knew the guy before the film, at all. Didn't even knew who he was. Never a big star in Asia. What? Just because some dude HAPPENS to die while a film is made, it automatically means box office gold in China? COME ON! There has to be more to it than that.

In the months leading up to and during the film's release, there were many  comments and re-posts on the web in China about Walker and his tragic story. It's true that many may have been unaware of Walker previously, but news about him certainly spread fast as part of the pre-release buzz. Many wanted to see what they thought to be the finale to the series because they were touched by his story and wanted to see him in theaters one last time. For comparison, FF6  film made only $66 million in China 2 years earlier. 

10 minutes ago, RogueLeader said:

They knew him from Fast Six and Five, only a few years apart. It was already a liked franchise. News of his death made the social media rounds and was apparently one of the most shared piece of news in the 2013 Chinese online space. 

The Charlie Puth song was a hit too. Think Heath Ledger's posthumous effect on TDK and Celine Dion's song on Titanic, plus the latest movie in a known franchise marketed as the last one 'one last ride'. It's stated outright in the many Chinese reviews 'goodbye Paul'. So yeah, they gave a shit about Paul Walker.

• Like 4

Its not like the knew the guy before the film, at all. Didn't even knew who he was. Never a big star in Asia....

1. Hint, read up on the impact of Chinese female fans on the BO in general (and those seem to have liked his appearance a lot). And combine that with the male car fans.

2. He died like ~ matching to the movies in a morbid kind of way, and he died young. He wasn't a James Dean, but you might read up in old news-papers how that can ~ hype up the last / released after a death... movie a lot.

3. Depending on what it's up in the news / social media / ... one news can have in another country another impact than in yours, also how it get's introduced/interpreted can change a country's general POV (as far as a country has 'one' POV... not)

4. There are different traditions how to react to something like a death or ... (general speaking).

As far as I run more or less accidental into comments in the net then, Walker's death got discussed a lot there (and elsewhere)

I read even about (especially female) ppl starting to get interested after his death based on him being seemingly interested in doing 'good work', taking in his daughter and so on (that I didn't look up for the origins of the writers,...).

And some got newly interested in F7 based on the reports about his brothers getting used for missing scenes, how technically  ... challenging & expensive it was, how the crew,... reacted.

Technological based curiosity, drama, money, sad difficulties till reaching in RL a goal and getting to it in an unusual way,...

Impact in / on social media is not always logical anyway, but I can see how ppl interested into different aspects of the special circumstances can meet as an audience, than buzz / WOM... sometimes it simply swings higher than expected.

Plus we do not know how the translation was done, I know out of own experience that even a comedy can be a ~ a drama, if translated as such

= never dismiss a country for it's BO of a known to you movie, as even what e.g. humour is is based on cultural POV too and many other details you might not be aware of (and who are we to judge about another culture anyway?).

Room moves into UK box office with healthy £671k debut from 197 sites -

Daddy's Home continues excellent run in the UK and is now up to £14.07m - same link

Creed lands solid £2.22m punch from 482 sites on UK bow

Just the £113.9m so far for Star Wars: The Force Awakens at the UK box office

The Revenant dethrones Star Wars with non-final £5.2m UK debut -

'13 Hours' Opens Lower Than Expected; Being Politicized Didn't Help

EXCLUSIVE: Hatton Garden heist to become film.

The raid, which took place over the Easter weekend in 2015 on a safe deposit vault in central London, was one of the biggest heists in British criminal history, carried out by a semi-retired group of men ranging in age between 58-75.

I really want to see that (if made ~ nicley)

Edited by terrestrial

3 hours ago, RogueLeader said:

Its not like the knew the guy before the film, at all. Didn't even knew who he was. Never a big star in Asia. What? Just because some dude HAPPENS to die while a film is made, it automatically means box office gold in China? COME ON! There has to be more to it than that 

Clearly you weren't using the internet when Paul walker died in dec 2013, for over a few months everybody was talking about his death and how they will miss him... So on. 

And his name was heavily used in the promotion of FF7 and everybody around the world got invested in the movie because of him... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I am Groot.

This is why I hate marvel films, they try their hardest to make crappy memes.

How much more are we expecting for TFA DOMESTICALLY guys, it should hit around 930m right?

Dance off baby, you and me.

20 hours ago, LinksterAC said:

I said WW, not OS.

And take it to anther thread.

You do realize that I was replying to what you  brought up and not bringing anything up myself? WW I think it may get a little closer but should still be considerably far apart. Going with spizzer, this will probably gain around 15-20m admissions in US. Not enough to have any affect on the massive distance between their OS grosses. Sorry though to the mods and others for bringing up this thing once again but this is not really any argument but simply laying out undeniable facts and I am not gonna post further on this topic (unless hard pressed).