terrestrial

Tuesday (19 January) actuals | Revenent 3.14 | SW7 $2.38 | Ride Along 2 $2.278 | 13h $1.84 | DH 702k | Big Short 573k | chart p.4 | major release date changes p.1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

“Christmas of ’17 is the target…At least, that’s what we’ve announced. But I don’t consider that to be as important as the fact that when we get all three films done, we drop them a year apart. I call it a meta-narrative that runs across the three movies. Each film stands alone, but it also tells one much larger story.”

“We have design more or less finished, which is an enormous task. It’s been about a two-year task. [We’ve finished] all the creatures and the landscapes, and the new worlds within the world of Pandora that you see. The writing is ongoing, but almost finished. Technical development is done. Stages are done. Infrastructure. So we’re really poised to start after the first of the year,”

-Jimmy C

So basically what he says is Avatar 2 will come out whenever he believes it is ready to come out. December 2017 was just a random date that he and FOX were targeting. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'll only believe Avatar 2 is happening when the cameras start rolling. Otherwise...

Same. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spizzer said:

Apparently there's a chance we end up in a bulls-eye spot here in Ashburn.  Doubt it happens but we could go above mid 30s, which would be crazy for a single storm.  That's almost all of Snowmageddon's storms combined.

I've heard DC National was going to be the eye of the storm.  Either way, if the DC area gets anything over 2 feet, call the National Guard and issue a state of emergency because everything will be closed for at least a week!

• Like 1

So only 138 million to go for 1 billion domestic.

TFA did nearly $853 million in its first 31 days. It's going to play for at least six months. 

You doubters must be members of the instant gratification millenial generation. 1 billion isn't a sprint,it's a slow steady marathon. 

I guarantee this can do 138 more in its final five months. 

Edited by GuardianDevil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sagemode87 said:

No, Avatar made as much money as it did because it was a damn good movie. If 3D was the reason, why didn't other 3d films make as much money? 

No, it made as much money as it did because of the 3D along with it being groundbreaking as a film.  3D had never been done like that or even close in a Hollywood tent pole release.  

If that was a 2D movie, it makes a whole lot less money, as in possibly a billion or more less.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

There is only one way that Avatar's date will change and that's if it's not ready.

If you believe otherwise you're ignorant of James Cameron, are you from reddit by any chance?

No, it will change because the studio funding the billion dollar budget will be smart (not that they have a choice) and change it no matter what. 

It is more than a dick measuring contest, it is a logistics issue.  There simply isn't the theater space (especially 3D screens) to accommodate 2 gigantic 3D releases like this.  Star Wars has officially staked out December 2017 and Avatar would have to move no matter what or face making domestic theaters choose between it and Star Wars.  

The politics behind the scenes would be pretty funny.  Who do you think film bookers are going to fear being leaned on, 20th Century Fox and their relatively mediocre slate of films or Disney that has the power of Lucasfilm/Marvel/Pixar/Disney Animation/Buena Vista behind it?  The second that a film booker from any theater chain doesn't give it what it wants on Star Wars and want to give it to Avatar, they are going to say "ok, then when Avengers: Infinity War and Toy Story 4 come out next year, then you can pound sand while we withhold prints from you and give extra screens to your competition.  Still want to give those screens to 20th Century Fox and Avatar?"

• Like 2

FYI, theater owners and Disney already aren't happy with 20th Century Fox and the crap they pulled moving the Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked release date up to Dec. 18th at the last second.  It cost some valuable screens (and $$) they had to allocate to that movie instead of adding additional shows for TFA.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

FYI, theater owners and Disney already aren't happy with 20th Century Fox and the crap they pulled moving the Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked release date up to Dec. 18th at the last second.  It cost some valuable screens (and $$) they had to allocate to that movie instead of adding additional shows for TFA.  

Oh cry me a river. I will despise Disney execs forever for the crap they pulled with The Hateful Eight in Hollywood. They've got the biggest movie in the world, guaranteed to make them billions, and they're playing dirty for a few extra dollars. 

28 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Oh cry me a river. I will despise Disney execs forever for the crap they pulled with The Hateful Eight in Hollywood. They've got the biggest movie in the world, guaranteed to make them billions, and they're playing dirty for a few extra dollars. 

I'm not saying you are wrong, but Disney has the biggest hammer on the block and they use it to get what they want and will continue to do so.  

It also isn't really playing dirty if all the other studios do it as well whenever they can.  Weinstein also is notorious for their tactics and sort of got their ass handed to them on this one, but I agree it would be nice if they all played nicer.  

• Like 3

just realised the next weekend prediction, BO.com's is up.

This weekend's overall box office is also likely to be negatively affected by both Winter Storm Jonas on the East coast and by Sunday's NFL Conference Championship Games (which are being played on the weekend after Martin Luther King weekend for the first time since back in 2012).

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2016-01-weekend-forecast-the-revenant-the-boy-dirty-grandpa-the-5th-wave

The Revenant (2015)     $20,500,000 $124,300,000
Ride Along 2     $16,500,000   $63,000,000
Star Wars 7     $16,000,000 $881,000,000
The Boy     $11,800,000   $11,800,000
Dirty Grandpa     $10,800,000   $10,800,000
The 5th Wave     $10,700,000   $10,700,000
13 Hours .... Benghazi       $9,700,000   $33,500,000
Daddy's Home       $5,500,000 $139,100,000
Norm of the North       $4,500,000   $14,700,000
The Big Short       $3,800,000   $57,100,000
Sisters       $2,900,000   $86,000,000
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Thought this was funny when I read it in the Numbers.com weekend wrap up:

The film could still reach $900 million domestically, but it will be very close

haha

:WHATanabe:

900 M is actually the floor right now. The odds of Star Wars finishing below 900 M are astronomically low. Hell, it might reach 900M by Feb 1st!

• Like 4

There are a bunch of theaters who are going to keep TFA a lot longer than most think.  It will still be playing strong into April and think you will see relatively strong numbers keep coming in.  

No way it doesn't get to $950m and $1b still wouldn't surprise me, especially if they do something like get a strong bump in theaters by releasing 5 minutes of Rogue One with it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

There are a bunch of theaters who are going to keep TFA a lot longer than most think.  It will still be playing strong into April and think you will see relatively strong numbers keep coming in.  

No way it doesn't get to $950m and $1b still wouldn't surprise me, especially if they do something like get a strong bump in theaters by releasing 5 minutes of Rogue One with it.

1b is dead unless Disney finds some big way to push a re-release/re-expansion. I so wish I was on their marketing team right now for my May 4th Star Wars day idea for it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GuardianDevil said:

So only 138 million to go for 1 billion domestic.

TFA did nearly $853 million in its first 31 days. It's going to play for at least six months. 

You doubters must be members of the instant gratification millenial generation. 1 billion isn't a sprint,it's a slow steady marathon. 

I guarantee this can do 138 more in its final five months. 

Don't guarantee something that is not guaranteed.  It's not going to make a billion and I doubt it plays for another 5 months and if it does, it will be a very small amount of theaters, making a few hundred thousand dollars on the weekends.

• Like 1

I'm expecting the numbers this weekend to be pretty depressed.

They've already posted blizzard warnings for the Mid-Atlantic (DC and Baltimore as the focal point) and have blizzard watches for Philly an NY. There could be snow as far south as Atlanta. I'm expecting alot people just to hunker down and sit this weekend out.

• Like 1