WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Kung Fu Panda 3 - 41M, The Finest Hours 0- 10.3M, The Revenant - 12.4M...Sunday holds better than expected.....SW over 11 mill and KFP3 over 41 pg 34

15 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

This coming up weekend's releases are going to die. The Choice will make less than half of Dear John OW. Hail, Caesar! Debuts in the low teens. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies debuts less than 10 million OW.

I think The Choice is going below $10M and setting a new low for Sparks adaptations too. No one cares about it.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think Hail, Caesar! should manage mid-teens. I mean, if The Monuments Men debuted to $20M+...

Monuments Man looked far more appealing for the mainstream, and it had a better marketing campaign and a far bigger push from Sony than what Universal is doing for Hail Caeser. Also, MM didn't faced the SuperBowl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

Wait... Since when has Creed become the frontrunner? I thought it was just between IO and Mad Max? And wasn't expecting creed in the top 5?

Its funny. I havent seen Creed yet. Planned to a couple times, but last minute stuff kept happening so I had to keep cancelling. So finally I was going to see it tonight. Bringing sone buddies who hadnt seen it either, nothing else going on, its finally going to happen.

So this afternoon I double check the start time, and my eyes pop out of my head. Creeds start time is still the same, but starting 5 minutes later is...

Fury Road. In IMAX. Its back for like 2 weeks.

Naturally, I called everyone and talked them into seeing FR instead. My excuse was that two of the guys never actually saw Fury Road, but really I had always been a little disappointed I never saw FR on IMAX non-3D.

I guess the universe doesnt want me to see Creed for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Its funny. I havent seen Creed yet. Planned to a couple times, but last minute stuff kept happening so I had to keep cancelling. So finally I was going to see it tonight. Bringing sone buddies who hadnt seen it either, nothing else going on, its finally going to happen.

So this afternoon I double check the start time, and my eyes pop out of my head. Creeds start time is still the same, but starting 5 minutes later is...

Fury Road. In IMAX. Its back for like 2 weeks.

Naturally, I called everyone and talked them into seeing FR instead. My excuse was that two of the guys never actually saw Fury Road, but really I had always been a little disappointed I never saw FR on IMAX non-3D.

I guess the universe doesnt want me to see Creed for some reason.

:mellow: you're gonna regret this one day

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Monuments Man looked far more appealing for the mainstream, and it had a better marketing campaign and a far bigger push from Sony than what Universal is doing for Hail Caeser. Also, MM didn't faced the SuperBowl. 

I've seen a consistent amount of ads for this as well. The theater estimate is in line with Burn After Reading (and that opened with almost $20M).

Plus early word is going around that it's really good (it's embargoed until probably tomorrow, which is when the LA premiere is happening) so positive reviews will certainly help. The Monuments Men likely would've done even better than it did had it not been a failed one-time presumed frontrunner that was moved out of the awards race to save it the embarrassment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Hail Caesar will probably be a leggy movie, I'm not expecting big things on OW. Maybe something a little higher than The Big Short only with a bit sharper drops because of no Oscars or Holiday boost.

It does have President's Day/Valentine's Day in its second weekend though, which should give it a nice boost (three openers all competing for big bucks won't help, but all of those movies will skew relatively young anyway- 90% of Hail, Caesar's audience is likely going to be over 40).

• Like 1