kayumanggi

LIFE | 03.24.17 | Sony | current gross ● 29.94 M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:
  Hide contents

In a movie in which everyone (including, as it's implied, humanity) dies, they had to get in an animal death somehow.

Not even that they killed it -- let's face it, everyone knew the little fucker was toast as soon as it got its own closeup -- but just that they were so hamfisted in how it was set up. (In fact, I wonder if it was someone's bright idea to insert those first CUs much much later, in post).

You're studying a single-celled organism, why do you have a rat strapped down in the chamber with it? Wait a sec, for that matter, how is the rat even alive? Didn't they start out in a vacuum, then a Mars atmosphere?

This fucking movie, man. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Telerian said:

Hide contents

Not even that they killed it -- let's face it, everyone knew the little fucker was toast as soon as it got its own closeup -- but just that they were so hamfisted in how it was set up. (In fact, I wonder if it was someone's bright idea to insert those first CUs much much later, in post).

You're studying a single-celled organism, why do you have a rat strapped down in the chamber with it? Wait a sec, for that matter, how is the rat even alive? Didn't they start out in a vacuum, then a Mars atmosphere?

This fucking movie, man. 

Now I know why you hated the movie. 

It brought back memories of Lab Rats. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
On 3/26/2017 at 7:21 PM, PDC1987 said:

Saw this just now, a 9/10 for me.

It's depressing and disheartening that LIFE will be yet another brilliant film that has toxic word of mouth and thus tanks at the box office after the OW simply because...

Reveal hidden contents

General audiences really, really need to expand their horizons. Film is an art form, not just cheap entertainment meant to make them feel happy.

:lol:

The GA ate up Arrival. It has "toxic" word of mouth because it has serious issues. It's why I only give it a B.

I would have been cool if there had turned out to be a second organism-the original had at some point procreated-and he had gotten into the girl's pod. I thought that was what they were going for when the organism leaped at the scientist dude and then he turned around and saw something move across the ship.

But the editing trick they used was not only weak but having the Doctor who liked space crash land on Earth just wasn't a satisfying end: it was a poorly executed attempt at a shock ending. It felt more like a set-up to a sequel the movie didn't earn. You don't have to be all sunshine and rainbows but your ending should still leave the audience satisfied.

Not a single character arc paid off. The story didn't pay off. That's not art. That's sloppy filmmaking.

• Like 5

On 27-3-2017 at 4:21 AM, PDC1987 said:

It's depressing and disheartening that LIFE will be yet another brilliant film that has toxic word of mouth and thus tanks at the box office after the OW simply because...

Reveal hidden contents

General audiences really, really need to expand their horizons. Film is an art form, not just cheap entertainment meant to make them feel happy.

AHAHAHA..

Okay son

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 8:21 PM, PDC1987 said:

Reveal hidden contents

LIFE tanked because it wasn't very good.

Spoiler

Plenty of movies with less than happy endings have done well... Logan being the latest example

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Oh wow, look at all you jumping on my comment 3 days later. Countless OW crowd reports said audiences hated the ending.

Yeah... because it was horribly written and executed.

Spoiler

Not because it wasn't happy.  Tele only likes unhappy endings and he hated it.

31 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

Based on what metric?

All of them?

LIFE was disliked by both critics and the audience and is going to have lousy BO.

Spoiler

Login was liked by the critics and over-performed at the BO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

Yeah... because it was horribly written and executed.

Reveal hidden contents

All of them?

LIFE was disliked by both critics and the audience and is going to have lousy BO.

Hide contents

Login was liked by the critics and over-performed at the BO.

Sorry but Logan and Life aren't exactly the same comparison. Logan is a Marvel property. It was Jackman's last time as Wolvie. 

I didn't hate it like Tele did. I realized early that it was going to be a silly, goofy and cliché-ridden b-movie (don't think that was what the director was going for, though), and taken as such, it was semi-entertaining.

I am, however, puzzled by the fact that some here are saying, "a masterpiece" and "the director should make the next Alien movie"... :mellow: :huh: :unsure:

• Like 2

I mean, I enjoyed it quite a bit while watching it. Tense, exciting at times, a pretty fun movie to watch with a group of friends.

But ya, that ending was dumb. Not what happened, but rather how it was executed.

Also, and this is just me thinking back to bio class

what reason does Calvin have to be cephalized? He seemed to be doing pretty well off as a creature composed of basically stem cells, what reason does it have to need to grow a head? Dumb move on the filmmakers part just so they could get some cool concept art

34 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean, I enjoyed it quite a bit while watching it. Tense, exciting at times, a pretty fun movie to watch with a group of friends.

But ya, that ending was dumb. Not what happened, but rather how it was executed.

Also, and this is just me thinking back to bio class

Hide contents

what reason does Calvin have to be cephalized? He seemed to be doing pretty well off as a creature composed of basically stem cells, what reason does it have to need to grow a head? Dumb move on the filmmakers part just so they could get some cool concept art

I tried to enjoy the movie for what it was. It's very difficult to find scientific accuracy from movies these days.

• Like 1