kayumanggi

LIFE | 03.24.17 | Sony | current gross ● 29.94 M

RT:

- There's nothing even remotely inventive at play here.

- The truth is that Life is an Alien knock-off and a carbon copy of every retro sci-fi film ever made about the dangers of life in space.

- There is absolutely nothing original about Life. Zero. Nada.

- For a movie titled Life this one has very little of it. Pretty much the usual alien gobbling up humans in their order of importance to the plot.

- Yep, it's another "Alien" clone.

- How this by-the-numbers sci-fi horror managed to blast free of the DVD bin and engage A-list stars like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds is hard to figure out.

- Once the alien lifeform strengthens and gets loose, Life surrenders to a tiresome chase away from not just its ravenous creature but from the movies Life so obviously takes it cues from.

- An abysmal ALIEN-clone with no genuine tension or scares. The talented cast is wasted.

- It's not terrible. It's just terribly unoriginal.

Next time listen to the Shay.

Just got back from a late showing.  I was in a really, really bad mood (my alma mater, who was a much more talented team than the one we played lost in the NCAA tournament right before) going into the movie and needed something to take my mind off of my heartbreak.  Maybe it's just because this movie is right my wheelhouse of the type of movies I love but damn was that a great time.  The intensity was there throughout.  Acting was really solid all the way around.  We all know what the plot is and it was executed to perfection.  The cinematography and camera movements were glorious.

You felt for the characters and really disliked the bitch that is Calvin.  What a solid villain/alien.  Calvin is brutal and relentless.  

I'll prob see this again and its been awhile since I doubled up on a movie in the theatres.  Highly recommend for any space/sci-fi/thriller fans.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shayhiri said:

RT:

- There's nothing even remotely inventive at play here.

- The truth is that Life is an Alien knock-off and a carbon copy of every retro sci-fi film ever made about the dangers of life in space.

- There is absolutely nothing original about Life. Zero. Nada.

- For a movie titled Life this one has very little of it. Pretty much the usual alien gobbling up humans in their order of importance to the plot.

- Yep, it's another "Alien" clone.

- How this by-the-numbers sci-fi horror managed to blast free of the DVD bin and engage A-list stars like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds is hard to figure out.

- Once the alien lifeform strengthens and gets loose, Life surrenders to a tiresome chase away from not just its ravenous creature but from the movies Life so obviously takes it cues from.

- An abysmal ALIEN-clone with no genuine tension or scares. The talented cast is wasted.

- It's not terrible. It's just terribly unoriginal.

Next time listen to the Shay.

I'm always perplexed whenever critics suddenly decide to judge a film based on if it's original or not. Besides the fact that they give countless films a free pass on that issue, execution is far more important than concept in a finished product.

• Like 6

Please folks watch the spoilers in this thread. Do not discuss anything to do with the pot. Nothing at all whatsoever. You might think that certain plot pieces are insignificant but no one has seen this movie yet so just if you want to discuss anything about the plot please go to the RTM section

18 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

I'm always perplexed whenever critics suddenly decide to judge a film based on if it's original or not. Besides the fact that they give countless films a free pass on that issue, execution is far more important than concept in a finished product.

Thank you! This is what I was trying to say earlier in the thread. I couldn't have said it better myself! 

• Like 2

It's a film about an alien life-form aboard a ship in outer space. What exactly would you like them to do with the plot? Make it more like When Harry Met Sally or A Few Good Men?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's a film about an alien life-form aboard a ship in outer space. What exactly would you like them to do with the plot? Make it more like When Harry Met Sally or A Few Good Men?

Only if you change it up and have Ryan plus Jake fall in love :ph34r:

But I agree with you. Like I understand saying it's not original but the writers specifically said they were inspired by Alien. There's only so many ways the plot can go. It's like watching a slasher film or a paranormal film and then saying well all the characters died! Well no shit characters are gonna die. You're watching a horror film! Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I always wonder where that line is drawn. As in why do some films get a pass for being unoriginal but then other films don't. For me personally though....if the execution is good then I'll be happy. That's what it's all about. 

• Like 2

Movies of been around for about a hundred years now. There's only so many stories you can tell. As you guys have said it's the execution that counts.

• Like 1

Just now, kowhite said:

Man this is good?  Oh please be good.  Is it good?

I love space horror.  Is it good?

Oh it's good. I highly recommend this film to everyone especially those who love space films/horror movies 

• Like 1