WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

4 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I know its the cool kids thing to do to hate on RR, but yall gotta stop ignoring Safe House and Proposal. Audiences loved both and he was good in both.

Dont try the "he was with Sandra/Denzel" excuses. Both movies were high points for those actors too at the time.

I've always liked RR.  Something like RIPD would bombed no matter who was in it.

3 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Considering the three titles you mentioned are going to flop, I think their year ends here... (Apocalypse is a maybe, but still, not going to be near as big as this)

None of those are going to be flops.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

Considering the three titles you mentioned are going to flop, I think their year ends here... (Apocalypse is a maybe, but still, not going to be near as big as this)

:huh:

I get why would you think that regarding IA5, but that franchise is an absolute beast WW anyway so that's no issue. And XMA and ID42 are WAY more likely to join the 1 billion club than bombing all together. X-Men franchise has always been a big deal and DOFP was a huge earner, plus the success of Deadpool will only further audience's interest in the franchise. And ID4 was a bombastic success back in 1996, just north of $300M domestic, one that a lot of people feel huge nostalgia for, which could incite a serious case of Jurassic World-syndrome incoming.

It's very likely that Deadpool will be bigger than them, yeah, but they're not coming close to flopping.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

None of those are going to be flops.

Just realized ressurgence is the Independence Day sequel and not the divergent sequel. Still, don't think it's going to be big. I don't live in America tought, so I might be wrong... And Ice Age has peaked long time ago, and this one just looks sooooo bad, I don't see it making much...

Maybe I'm using the word flop wrong? I mean they are going to underperform...

10 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Sandra and Denzel were the clear draws there. I'm not knocking him for being in those flicks, but would they have grossed less with any other 30-something white dude? Highly doubt it. 

Just like she drawed in for Premonition and All About Steve Steve before and after Proposal? The movie was a pretty standard "these two hate each but we know theyll fall in love in the end" story, but there was something about the Bullock/Reynolds team up. They really clicked. That movie was super leggy and I contribute it to them and people eating up that chemistry.

And SH was Denzel's first $100m in 5 years. I love SH, but the unique thing about was, well, taking place in safe houses. Otherwise it was your typical action flick. Denzel has partnered up with a lot of white dudes lately: Whalberg, Travolta, Reynolds, the FAA, etc, but the Reynolds/Washington tandem has delivered the best results since Crowe.

Not saying having Bullock and Washington didnt help more, because im sure it did, but Reynolds deserves more credit than we give him.

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

And SH was Denzel's first $100m in 5 years. I love SH, but the unique thing about was, well, taking place in safe houses. Otherwise it was your typical action flick. Denzel has partnered up with a lot of white dudes lately: Whalberg, Travolta, Reynolds, the FAA, etc, but the Reynolds/Washington tandem has delivered the best results since Crowe.

people like bad guy denzel.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Sandra and Denzel were the clear draws there. I'm not knocking him for being in those flicks, but would they have grossed less with any other 30-something white dude? Highly doubt it. 

not different than any other actor. For example, did Chris Pratt have anything to do with the success of Jurassic World and GOTG? Likely no. Put another actor that does a good job in those roles and they would make the same. The fact is there are hardly any draws these days. Reynolds is no different than most actors

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

:huh:

I get why would you think that regarding IA5, but that franchise is an absolute beast WW anyway so that's no issue. And XMA and ID42 are WAY more likely to join the 1 billion club than bombing all together. X-Men franchise has always been a big deal and DOFP was a huge earner, plus the success of Deadpool will only further audience's interest in the franchise. And ID4 was a bombastic success back in 1996, just north of $300M domestic, one that a lot of people feel huge nostalgia for, which could incite a serious case of Jurassic World-syndrome incoming.

It's very likely that Deadpool will be bigger than them, yeah, but they're not coming close to flopping.

Just looked at the Ice Age worlwide numbers and they are way bigger than I expected, at least for the 4th, that one sucked so bad...

I see your point about ressurgence, and I had JW at low 200s last year, so I might be very wrong, but still, think it's not going to be too big.

About the 1 billion remark, I think Apocalypse is very unlikely to make a billion, because DOFP was far from that even tought it was a great movie marketed as a big event, and this year is way more crowded than 2014, so I can't possibly see it making more than high 800s, my prediction would be under DOFP...

IA won't hit 200 million in the US but it will still likely be a beast OS.  And I don't know what to think of Resurgence.  A 250 million DOM  gross wouldn't surprise me but if it made close to 350 that wouldn't surprise me either.  Right now it's the biggest wildcard out there

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

IA won't hit 200 million in the US but it will still likely be a beast OS.  And I don't know what to think of Resurgence.  A 250 million DOM  gross wouldn't surprise me but if it made close to 350 that wouldn't surprise me either.  Right now it's the biggest wildcard out there

Resurgence can do just 220-230M DOM and it will still hit 700M WW. Ice Age 5 and Apocalypse will also both hit 700M WW. Ice Age budget is probably under 100M. 

it is interesting that the aversion to R rated movies by studios is a clear 2000s thing. In the 80s and 90s there were several R rated blockbuster. In the 90s for instance we had Terminator 2, Saving Private Ryan, The Firm, Air Force One, Basic Instinct, A Few Good Men, The Matrix, There 's Something About Mary etc.  All which adjust into the 200-350m range

I guess increasing budgets have a lot to do with it

• Like 2

Fox used a fun marketing campaign for Deadpool that was way better than the X-Men movies. How To Be Single is a hit on it's own because it's a comedy aimed at females and Rebel Wilson isn't really a full draw. Zoolander 2's performance shows that even if your movie has talk on Twitter or "hype" doesn't mean a hit. Also it was an unnecessary sequel.

12 minutes ago, RichWS said:

not different than any other actor. For example, did Chris Pratt have anything to do with the success of Jurassic World and GOTG? Likely no. Put another actor that does a good job in those roles and they would make the same. The fact is there are hardly any draws these days. Reynolds is no different than most actors

Uh, no. Jurassic World is debatable but Pratt's wisecracking personality was definitely part of GOTG's appeal. Reynolds played a blank slate in The Proposal and Safe House, just reacting to what others were doing, not much personality of his own

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Uh, no. Jurassic World is debatable but Pratt's wisecracking personality was definitely part of GOTG's appeal. Reynolds played a blank slate in The Proposal and Safe House, just reacting to what others were doing, not much personality of his own

yeah and put another wisecracking actor in GOTG it would have done the same. It didn't have to be Chris Pratt. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, straggler said:

Meh. I cannot get too excited about another superhero film . Plus Ryan Reynolds is now 1 for 50. Another nail in the coffin regarding the concept of a box office draw I guess. 

Yep. Headed to the discount theater to avoid the crazies. :popcorn:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Lmao what? Reynolds and Bullock had fantastic chemistry in The Proposal.

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Ice Age 5 did 900M worldwide with less than 200M in the U.S.

Ice Age 5 will do maybe 120-130M DOM.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yeah and put another wisecracking actor in GOTG it would have done the same. It didn't have to be Chris Pratt. 

GOTG would be a completely different movie without Chris Pratt.

• Like 1

Just now, tribefan695 said:

It's a lot harder for any random actor to nail that down than just be an audience surrogate.

• Like 1