WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

3 minutes ago, Tubes said:

Anyone think this performance will change the stigma of the R Rating as box office poison or is Deadpool just a well marketed oddity?

A well-marketed oddity. The big gun superhero titles (ala The Avengers, Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.) will remain PG-13 titles.

• Like 1

As far as OD's are concerned, this is by far one of the biggest shockers of all time as y'all are saying. How's it possible that DEADPOOL is the 24th biggest OD ever, beating out inumerous and far bigger budgeted blockbusters including the last Hunger Games, Man Of Steel, every Spider-Man movie (except for SM3), every single Bond movie, amongst many others? And even for OW's in general, it's up there as one of the biggest surprises of all time. Honestly, it may be every bit as shocking as American Sniper's results w/all things considered, if not more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All of which were over 17 (the age of which you can be admitted into an R-rated film without supervision), I'm sure. It's anyone under that that was pretty much locked out.

For years (if not decades) there has been a belief that Hollywood mostly caters to the teenage boy demographic in which action pictures with that audience were the kind of movie regularly cranked out the most with other demographics (females, in particular) being largely underserved with "event" titles for said markets. In recent years, we have seen a shift away from that kind of mindset as the traditional action picture has mostly become extinct unless it's a brand name or has a big star involved and more "adult" focused pictures (like The Revenant) are largely dominating the box office scene, with young males mostly only showing up for the "franchise" titles. A movie like Deadpool probably would've been forced into being a PG-13 a decade ago.

They must've had some one with them because I definitely saw teens younger than 17 leaving out when the movie ended. I was really surprised as how young some of the audience looked.

• Like 1

Just now, eddyxx said:

What are you talking about, my Deadpool line was full of teenaged boys.

All of which were over 17 (the age of which you can be admitted into an R-rated film without supervision), I'm sure. It's anyone under that that was pretty much locked out.

For years (if not decades) there has been a belief that Hollywood mostly caters to the teenage boy demographic in which action pictures with that audience were the kind of movie regularly cranked out the most with other demographics (females, in particular) being largely underserved with "event" titles for said markets. In recent years, we have seen a shift away from that kind of mindset as the traditional action picture has mostly become extinct unless it's a brand name or has a big star involved and more "adult" focused pictures (like The Revenant) are largely dominating the box office scene, with young males mostly only showing up for the "franchise" titles. A movie like Deadpool probably would've been forced into being a PG-13 a decade ago.

If my theater was any indication parents don't care. Theater was half kids. I mean kids, under 10.

• Like 1

And I just want to say to the Ethans of the world, I apologize for disliking you for your age:lol: When I saw all the teens in my line, I started to worry that they would ruin the movie for me because I've had bad experience in movies filled with children/teenagers but the crowd when I saw Deadpool last night was great. They laughed at all the right places, they didn't leave their phones on or text, they didn't get up and act like idiots during the movie. It was all around one of my favorite movie experiences right up there with The Hills Have Eyes remake and The Avengers.

The best part of the movie was

Spoiler

When Deadpool broke all his limbs trying to fight Colossus. My audience were in stiches by the end of that.

:D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drakeyuuhi said:

Deadpool writers would love do x force movie.

Can i Dream now?

And Brett Ratner's Youngblood just got brought back from development hell. Rob Liefeld is the new Frank Miller.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

(I'm a huge backer of DP but if studios think they should do a Shatterstar, Badrock or Chapel film just because Deadpool broke out, they need to taken out back to the woodshed for wasting more money that could end world hunger.)

• Like 1

As long as the child is quiet, the parents can take them if they want. The rule is u der 17 must be accompanied, so if they are, what can you do?

I personally dont think kids should be in a movie like Deadpool, but hey thats their child, not mine.

10 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As far as OD's are concerned, this is by far one of the biggest shockers of all time as y'all are saying. How's it possible that DEADPOOL is the 24th biggest OD ever, beating out inumerous and far bigger budgeted blockbusters including the last Hunger Games, Man Of Steel, every Spider-Man movie (except for SM3), every single Bond movie, amongst many others? And even for OW's in general, it's up there as one of the biggest surprises of all time. Honestly, it may be every bit as shocking as American Sniper's results w/all things considered, if not more.

Nah, american sniper was much more shocking than this, it made 89m dollars and I doubt anyone predicted over half that.

• Like 2

The US rating system really is astonishing. How can it be ok to take a little kid to see this movie?

Over here in the UK nobody under 15 will be admitted regardless. Sure you're going to get 13/14 year olds that manage to get in. But kids as young as five is appalling. 

It seems the R rating rules exist purely for the box office, rather than being responsible. Might as well give the little ones a beer while you're at it! 

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

The US rating system really is astonishing. How can it be ok to take a little kid to see this movie?

Over here in the UK nobody under 15 will be admitted regardless. Sure you're going to get 13/14 year olds that manage to get in. But kids as young as five is appalling. 

It seems the R rating rules exist purely for the box office, rather than being responsible. Might as well give the little ones a beer while you're at it! 

Your dad didn't let you take a sip of his beer when you were 5?:jeb!:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Nah, american sniper was much more shocking than this, it made 89m dollars and I doubt anyone predicted over half that.

I agree. This is still a high concept SH film based on a popular character released during the golden age of SH films.

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Completely disagree, I actually find your comment pretty douchey. If anything The UK should follow the US rating system. If parents have done a good enough job bringjng up their children then I'm sure Deadpool won't turn them into psychopaths. In the UK you can enlist in the army at 16, have sex, smoke but you can't watch Sin City at the cinema. Now that is appalling.

Now stop giving the UK a bad name with your posts, that's my job

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 3

If anything, we should be shocked that we're shocked at all. We should have seen this coming. With SH films dominating the box office landscape, change of pace spoofy type films are sure to break out. Look at GOTG.  Suicide Squad over 300m anyone?

1 minute ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

If anything, we should be shocked that we're shocked at all. We should have seen this coming. With SH films dominating the box office landscape, change of pace spoofy type films are sure to break out. Look at GOTG.  Suicide Squad over 300m anyone?

I'm not sure anyone saw this kind of success coming, though. Obviously it'll be interesting to see how a Deadpool 2 does since the gimmick behind this one (a potty-mouthed, graphically violent movie with a Marvel character) is only good for one movie. 

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Question parents' judgment if you must, but I'd still rather they leave the final decision to them rather than what the MPAA deems "acceptable", since every child is different.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

I mean this is pretty shocking. No one sane had this opening to 120-130m over the 4-day. The fact that it was rated R helped it break out, but was a major reason why many didn't think it would have this boffo opening.