WrathOfHan

DEADPOOL WEEKEND THREAD | Deadpool 152.193 actual. Daily breakdown on page 159

50 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

WEEELLLL.... I completely get you there, and I do agree that AS's are probably more shocking at the end of the day, but I can make a few arguments for DP being in ever lesser circumstances here. AS's star, Bradley Cooper, had come off of a ton of big hits throughout the years, like Guardians Of The Galaxy (yeah he didn't show his face, but everybody knows he played Rocket Raccoon), The Hangover trilogy and American Hustle. Although I'm not American, I am aware of the Chris Kyle story (not even thanks to the movie), and I'm pretty sure that Kyle was a bigger deal for the American people than Deadpool. And it also helped that the Oscar nominations dropped on the week of AS's wide release, which busted out a strong slate of noms for the movie, including Best Actor for Cooper and Best Picture. And yeah, Oscar buzz never really pushed movies THAT much, but it still helps. Plus, the almost non existant competition only benefitted.

Deadpool's main star, Ryan Reynolds, came off a ton of flops, including a few major ones within the comic book genre like Green Lantern. He played the role before in the abomination known as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and he did a good job acting wise, but what was done w/character was too much for anything Deadpool from Fox to be 100% trusted at any point, whereas I think that anybody could trust Clint Eastwood for anything ever. Not to mention that DP was seen as a rather not too known comic book character, and the grass humor could prove too much for non-die hard fans to enjoy. On top of that, Deadpool DID have on-paper competition in Zoolander 2, the sequel to a much well liked box office success of a comedy. And while you could make an argument for The Wedding Ringer, it's not quite the same as a sequel to arguably one of the most beloved comedies of the 2000s.

I'm just saying: there are arguments for Deadpool being in the same area of shock as American Sniper. AS is probably still the bigger sleeper, no doubt, but let's not forget that that still didn't open w/over $100M.

There are no arguments, simply put, american snipers actual numbers compared to the average predictions were over double what anyone predicted. Many people saw 80M+ for deadpool's OW within the last 2 weeks, I dint remember anyone predicting over 40m for Snipers OW let alone it winning the year too. It's a no contest, it doubled the highest predictions, AS was far more shocking regardless of how much hindsight you put into your post.

Edited by Jessie

Ok, so everyone is talking about how the studios will have to reconsider R rated movies/blockbusters and all that but haven't they already done that? Just look at last year with American Sniper, Kingsman, 50 Shades of Grey, Mad Max, and Straight Outta Compton. All those movies were rated R and all did well. Deadpool isn't the start of something new but rather the continuation of something that is already going very well for Hollywood and audiences alike.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Ah come on man. Taking little kids to see Deadpool isn't right. I'm not trying to turn this into a US vs UK thing at all. Just saying it does genuinely amaze me that adults think it's ok to take little children to see R rated films. All I was saying. 

It's fine, I watched plenty of adult movies when I was young and I turned out fine. Maybe you just just stop being a little bit and let your kids see Deadpool if they really want to, it's just a movie

41 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

as high as 140m :o

huge on Saturday. Could now even near $125M in 3 days & $140M in 4 for Ryan & Fox.

What the fuck. I am not expecting Saturday to touch 40M. That is impossible. I don't want to set my expectations so high.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

What's a bigger surprise now guys Deadpool or American Sniper?

Deadpool's OW, AS' dom total. At least for now.

If this has good legs I may give some consideration to Deadpool's total, but as of right now American Sniper for both without question

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Let's not pretend the average prediction for Deadpool was an 80 m 3-day.

Right before BO.com  predicted 90 m, most people were in the 55 m range.

I um think that 55 was for the second weekend.  Yeah that's the ticket 

• Like 5