GiantCALBears

Wednesday Numbers, Deadpool $8.62m

31 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel sold the movie rights to many of their biggest characters around 20 years ago. There was a clause that said when studios stop making movies with a character for 5 to 7 years the rights revert back to Marvel. Marvel was able to obtain lots of their movie rights back because of this clause except for Spider-man, X-men and Fantastic Four.

Marvel created their own studio and launched the MCU in 2008 with the smash hit Iron Man. Marvel Studios had a decent run and Disney bought them a few years later but Sony and Fox still had Spider-man, X-men and FF because they kept rebooting those franchises to keep the rights.

Thanks for the explanation!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessie said:

No, SW was not a surprise, it made what most people expected it would make. It was actually a very predictable box office run 

No one was expecting it to beat Avatar in 3 weeks and easily cross $900 million domestically. At best, 90% of people saw it crawling past Avatar by a few million.

I thought it could beat Avatar, but definitely not by the margin it did. Just look at those first couple of weeks. Complete insanity .

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Nah. $700-$750 million seems like a good number. Maybe slightly more.

Slightly less than Days of Future past overseas (100M different) but domestic will make up for that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

No one was expecting it to beat Avatar in 3 weeks and easily cross $900 million domestically. At best, 90% of people saw it crawling past Avatar by a few million.

I thought it could beat Avatar, but definitely not by the margin it did. Just look at those first couple of weeks. Complete insanity .

Well...

On 07/12/2015 at 2:49 PM, Jessie said:

50m midnights

70m fri

82m Sat

61m Sun           263m OW

40m mon

38m tue

37m wed

24m thu

51m fri

53m sat

36m sun          140 m 2nd weekend

28m mon

27m tue

27m wed

18m thu

37m fri

37m sat

23m sun          97m 3rd weekend 739m total

final total - 950m ish

......................... surely fucking not

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Wrong, just check our prediction contest (the avg domestic total of 135 members was $806m). There were plenty of people (yes this was closer to release than a few months/or a year before Baumer) that will have over predicted the eventual final domestic total.

Edited by GiantCALBears

1 minute ago, narniadis said:

I am just still in shock over Deadpool... a FRICKING DEADPOOL MOVIE is going to gross over 300m!!!!

To put this in perspective - its going to make more than the last Pixar Film and a movie based of Peanuts COMBINED... with a restrictive "R" rating to boot.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Wrong, just check our prediction contest (the avg domestic total of 135 members was $806m). There were plenty of people (yes this was closer to release than a few months/or a year before Baumer) that will have over predicted the eventual final domestic total.

It really depends on when those predictions were made. A week or two before premiere (when the $120 million in previews numbers was made public) or a few months before premiere. Even then, we're talking about 135 people, so hardly a huge number. 

Also, the average was $806 million. TFA will beat that by more than $125 million.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

It really depends on when those predictions were made. A week or two before premiere (when the $120 million in previews numbers was made public) or a few months before premiere. Even then, we're talking about 135 people, so hardly a huge number. 

Also, the average was $806 million. TFA will beat that by more than $125 million.

And the average prediction for Deadpool was probably around 140m (I'm being generous here) which it will eclipse by 200M (over double)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

Your words Tommy not mine. There was a considerable amount of pre presale hype, just go back through the threads/clubs created beforehand. Don't give me the "no one saw it coming" line, it's annoying.

Edited by GiantCALBears

4 hours ago, Jessie said:

No, SW was not a surprise, it made what most people expected it would make. It was actually a very predictable box office run 

That's not true at all. Many people didn't think that SW could do half as much as it did. It's only after JW's massive overperformance and the the reception to trailers in the later part of last year that people started to see what a beast it would be. How many people predicted $900 million for it in 2014?

As for Deadpool being the biggest surprise of the decade, hell no. May I remember people of Alice in Wonderland? Or Hunger games? Or American Sniper?

• Like 2

Yeah, predicting something to do the number is that it does, 3 or 4 days before it gets released, those aren't predictions that is going with tracking. Nobody expected Star Wars to do what it did. You might have predicted it once the tracking numbers came out and once the sellouts came out....that's not predicting,  that's just reading the news. If you tell me that more than 10% of the people thought that it would beat avatar 3 months before it was released then I'll call you a freaking liar.

• Like 11