Mockingjay Raphael

WEEKEND THREAD | B.O numbers Page 28: Final Divergent movie opens at $29m, Zoo: $38m

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

More for the cast, less for the actual movie. ;) 
It is reported, Woodley got only 250k-500k for Divergent.
So you can do the calculations...

I can't see Woodley getting more than 10M to do this one, and I doubt she is getting that much tbh.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Lionsgate won't get any revenue from overseas, selling the distribution rights may lower the risk but if it tanks domestically then you'll still end up with a loss. 

Sure, although you have video and ancillary markets to help you break even (or get a small profit).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have we all forgotten that there was a Power Rangers movie in 1995 (which I'm embarrassed to admit that I saw in theaters lolololol)?

Nope, I even had it on VHS on a kid.

Sure it's dumb as fuck, but at least it has some nostalgia for me. Heh!

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I can't see Woodley getting more than 10M to do this one, and I doubt she is getting that much tbh.

No, probably , but holding the budget for a sequel is always a hint, that they safe money here and there.

They made the 2nd Percy Jackson for $5m less than the first one and well, you saw, that it dropped in it's optical quality, too. 

And if you are looking to safe money afterwards, you always lose in quality.

If you plan it from the start, seeing what's possible, it always looks better, even with a lower budget. 

Edited by Poseidon

Don't you guys think that dystopian YA fatigue is setting in more than any kind of fatigue towards any one particular actor or actress?  I mean Jlaw is kind of in a class by herself and she is obviously a draw but we have been bombarded with so many cloned films about dystopian futures with kids battling blah blah blah.  I mean, I can't tell you what the hell happened in Maze Runner, Divergent, any Hunger Games sequel or any other YA film.  They're all the same in some ways.  It's a tired theme and it's just time to move on from that, imo.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Don't you guys think that dystopian YA fatigue is setting in more than any kind of fatigue towards any one particular actor or actress?  I mean Jlaw is kind of in a class by herself and she is obviously a draw but we have been bombarded with so many cloned films about dystopian futures with kids battling blah blah blah.  I mean, I can't tell you what the hell happened in Maze Runner, Divergent, any Hunger Games sequel or any other YA film.  They're all the same in some ways.  It's a tired theme and it's just time to move on from that, imo.

I'd agree, but the YA genre has been more miss than hit so far (between the first Hunger Games and the first Divergent, it was nothing but nonstarters that flopped epically). I think the problem is more the movies themselves: while Hunger Games managed to keep things moving, Divergent has never come out of the shadow of being a second/third rate version of that series, and while The Maze Runner (which was able to separate itself from being a Hunger Games clone by its lead character being a dude for once) seemed fresh in its first outing, it left the maze by the end of the first movie and spent most of the next one going through the motions with repetitive action bits. All of these movies are just starting to blend together and its just creating fatigue for the whole genre in general.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'd agree, but the YA genre has been more miss than hit so far (between the first Hunger Games and the first Divergent, it was nothing but nonstarters that flopped epically). I think the problem is more the movies themselves: while Hunger Games managed to keep things moving, Divergent has never come out of the shadow of being a second/third rate version of that movie, and while The Maze Runner (which was able to separate itself from being a Hunger Games clone by its lead character being a dude for once) seemed fresh in its first outing, it left the maze by the end of the first movie and spent most of the next one going through the motions with repetitive action bits. All of these movies are just starting to blend together and its just creating fatigue for the whole genre in general.

I thought Maze Runner was unbelievably forgettable.  It was so bland.

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Have we all forgotten that there was a Power Rangers movie in 1995 (which I'm embarrassed to admit that I saw in theaters lolololol)?

ivan ooze was a bamf

Edited by Chaz

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Remember three years ago when people were claiming Lionsgate would become a new major studio?  Lol at that now. 

At least one can't say they didn't have a good eye for which YA franchises were popular (Hunger Games, Divergent) compared to the other studios which picked up things that were only sorta kinda maybe not really popular (Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal Instruments).

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Sure, although you have video and ancillary markets to help you break even (or get a small profit).

True but I assume just like distribution rights, home entertainment, TV rights, SVOD etc is sold to the same local distributors overseas because Lionsgate doesn't have an overseas distribution arm apart from Lionsgate UK so it wouldn't be much more at least overseas. I know Lionsgate sold basic cable rights to The Hunger Games and The Divergent Series to TNT so they've got a fair chunk of change from that. 

Lionsgate has a very successful TV arm so I imagine even if the films aren't doing so hot, the TV arm likely make more than enough to keep Lionsgate out of the red. 

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This. Everyone's going to focus all of their attention on how many inches Henry Cavill is based on those epic Superman bulges.

Hey, if Zootopia still holds up, people might go "WTF, how is this movie still in second place 7 weeks after release?"

Just now, cannastop said:

Hey, if Zootopia still holds up, people might go "WTF, how is this movie still in second place 7 weeks after release?"

You underestimate the power of the guy who married that crazy psycho Amazing Amy and that gorgeous specimen who makes all of us sexually confused.

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

True but I assume just like distribution rights, home entertainment, TV rights, SVOD etc is sold to the same local distributors overseas because Lionsgate doesn't have an overseas distribution arm apart from Lionsgate UK so it wouldn't be much more at least overseas. I know Lionsgate sold basic cable rights to The Hunger Games and The Divergent Series to TNT so they've got a fair chunk of change from that. 

Lionsgate has a very successful TV arm so I imagine even if the films aren't doing so hot, the TV arm likely make more than enough to keep Lionsgate out of the red. 

Yes, sorry, I meant domestic ancillary markets.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

You underestimate the power of the guy who married that crazy psycho Amazing Amy and that gorgeous specimen who makes all of us sexually confused.

K, you're obsessed with something in a fucking weirder way than I am, and that's saying something.

Just now, cannastop said:

K, you're obsessed with something in a fucking weirder way than I am, and that's saying something.

LOL I'm just teasing. Everyone knows that movie is gonna hog up all of the attention starting next weekend (just ask poor My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, which is about to see one of the most astounding sequel drop-offs ever with no one caring). Best get your bomb shelter ready to protect yourself for the crazies if you haven't already.

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Are they really doing that well tv wise. Other than OITNB I can't think of another huge successful show now that Mad Men is over. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

LOL I'm just teasing. Everyone knows that movie is gonna hog up all of the attention starting next weekend (just ask poor My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, which is about to see one of the most astounding sequel drop-offs ever with no one caring). Best get your bomb shelter ready to protect yourself for the crazies if you haven't already.

I might not even be here next week. I'll play the derby, though.

I'm also thinking long term. Maybe people will be surprised at how *Zootopia* holds up for the April 1-3 and April 8-10 weekends.

Just now, filmlover said:

Because no one will be talking about Zootopia?

Just come into the light and embrace the incoming insanity.

amy-adams-gif.gif

Nah, bro. I might have to do something useful with my time. Like write a paper or something.