Olive

Presales Tracking Thread(Maoyan, Taopiaopiao etc)

18 days + 22 hours

Monster Hunt 2  -  41.53m

Detective Chinatown Vol 2  -  24.86m

The Fate of the Furious and Mermaid reached 40m 4 days before opening. Journey to the West 2 6 days before opening.

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Astonished 4

On 27/01/2018 at 6:22 PM, Gavin Feng said:

18 days + 22 hours

Monster Hunt 2  -  41.53m

Detective Chinatown Vol 2  -  24.86m

The Fate of the Furious and Mermaid reached 40m 4 days before opening. Journey to the West 2 6 days before opening.

Just over 24 hours later:

Monster Hunt 2  -  47.44m

Detective Chinatown Vol 2  -  28.20m

That's a 14.2% and 13.4% increase respectively! At a base rate, if it increases 14% everyday from now until release, they end up with 440m and 262m!!! That's a phenomenal 700m in presales for one day, meaning that perhaps 1B in one day is the low end of possibility.

I mean, it's much more likely they'll plateau at some point due to screen limit, but still this is outrageous levels!

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, feasby007 said:

Just over 24 hours later:

Monster Hunt 2  -  47.44m

Detective Chinatown Vol 2  -  28.20m

That's a 14.2% and 13.4% increase respectively! At a base rate, if it increases 14% everyday from now until release, they end up with 440m and 262m!!! That's a phenomenal 700m in presales for one day, meaning that perhaps 1B in one day is the low end of possibility.

I mean, it's much more likely they'll plateau at some point due to screen limit, but still this is outrageous levels!

440m is something like $70m. Does anyone remember how much grossed TFA in presales in USA?

6 minutes ago, peludo said:

440m is something like $70m. Does anyone remember how much grossed TFA in presales in USA?

Pretty sure it was over $100m, however that was total presales, most of which would've been spread across it's whole first week. We're talking $70m for ONE DAY! In total we could be looking at easily over $100m in presales...

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 12:37 PM, Gavin Feng said:

17 days + 6 hours
Monster Hunt 2  -  50.02m
Detective Chinatown Vol 2  -  29.63m

Journey to the West 2 reached 50m four days before opening. The Fate of the Furious & Mermaid three day before opening.

Lmao, this is so ridiculous! What are we possible talking OD wise? I think beating TFA's 119m OD is in the cards right?

3 minutes ago, James said:

Lmao, this is so ridiculous! What are we possible talking OD wise? I think beating TFA's 119m OD is in the cards right?

I’m not really sure how high the finally OD pre-sale would reach…But the ideal situation for its opening day should be 140K showtimes * 100 person-time per showtime * ¥38 ticket price / ¥6.2 : $1 exchange rate = $86M

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peludo said:

We are just focusing on Monster Hunt, but I guess that Detective Chinatown presales are beating Furious 8 and Mermaid too, aren't they? +30m 17 days before release seem a lot.

Could this be sign of a 2018 +2x% CBO growth against ? Or those are 2 anomalies particularly strong franchise and pre-sales got even bigger than before ?

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could this be sign of a 2018 +2x% CBO growth against ? Or those are 2 anomalies particularly strong franchise and pre-sales got even bigger than before ?

IMO, it is more the second option. Films are becoming more and more frontloaded, so I find logic that presales growth. But these cases seem specially spectacular.

15 days + 6 hours
Monster Hunt 2  -  59.24M
Detective Chinatown Vol 2  -  35.81m

3 days + 2 hours

The Fate of the Furious  -  60.08m

Journey to the West 2  -  59.5m

2 days + 7 hours

Mermaid  -  60m

Edited by Gavin Feng
  • Astonished 1