CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

It's nearly impossible to quantify how much that OW lost due to the shooting, but I highly doubt it was anywhere near $40m. 

$15-20m. Avengers also received a 3D boost of at least $20m. The two would have been pretty close for opening weekend once you account for those two things. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jb007 said:

You mean to say, the first time pairing of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman was a non event. Hmmmm...

Yet TDKR, sequel to the top 20 movie of all-time and loved by all,  was clobbered by The Avengers in 2012.

What did Avengers have? First time pairing of several second tier super heroes, barring Iron Man who had moved to top tier due to RDJ.

What did Avengers have?   Several well liked films leading up to its opening.  It was the culmination of all the built of up good will.  

What did TDKR have?  A mass murder at one its first showings.   No way to calculate how much, but that certainly had an impact in its OW attendance.   Also, it DIDN'T have 3D charges, or a 7pm start the first night. 

Those two openings are equal in my eyes based on those factors, even though there is a significant $ gap between the two.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, #ED said:

Tele, you somehow liked it a lot more than I did? Perhaps you did the 4DX? 

:ph34r:

Tele has good taste, that is why :P

Spoiler

Let's not talk about JW here, I forgive Tele for that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It's nearly impossible to quantify how much that OW lost due to the shooting, but I highly doubt it was anywhere near $40m. 

Not sure. A lot of people I know, including me, didn't go over the weekend just because of the shooting. You are forgetting how scary and fucked up it was at the time.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It did. I did the math 4 years ago.

• Like 2

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

Not sure. A lot of people I know, including me, didn't go over the weekend just because of the shooting. You are forgetting how scary and fucked up it was at the time.

I remember perfectly well. It wasn't gonna make $200m regardless. It didn't lose that much. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Plus people love to see other people losing their jobs and hope for the worst. 

Excuse me? This is a joke is it? How can anybody be so invested in ones own agenda that one starts rooting for other people losing their jobs? Because of a (excuse me) fucking movie? Because of some (excuse me again) fucking figures? That is nothing but outright antisocial. Being unemployed is no joke in this day and age (I know what I am talking about) so I am kinda at a loss for words on this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

Great reviews. :ph34r:

Great call, bud. :) 

I was hoping the people who were arguing with me would get that.

Avengers had great reviews compared to the paid plants hyping BvS sky high and eventually ending with a poor critical reception. But again poor critical reception did not stop POTC 2, POTC 3, TF 2, 3 and 4 from being huge hits. I happen to like TF movies btw.

8 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Tdkr could have broken 200 without the shooting but it simply was t as good as tdk and thus had worse legs

I think 200m was near-impossible for TDKR (without the shooting, of course). I think that was a pipe dream. 180m or so, maybe 190m? Sure.

6 minutes ago, #ED said:

Tele, you somehow liked it a lot more than I did? Perhaps you did the 4DX? 

:ph34r:

I'm as surprised as you are. :lol: 

• Like 2

I'm sure it's been said, but that seems a bloody good number for a shittily received and widely panned movie with polarizing reception.

Still early, but it's probably outgrossing Deadpool easily with that kind of preview number.

4 minutes ago, M37 said:

What did Avengers have?   Several well liked films leading up to its opening.  It was the culmination of all the built of up good will.  

What did TDKR have?  A mass murder at one its first showings.   No way to calculate how much, but that certainly had an impact in its OW attendance.   Also, it DIDN'T have 3D charges, or a 7pm start the first night. 

Those two openings are equal in my eyes based on those factors, even though there is a significant $ gap between the two.  

Avengers was a true midnight release. 7 PM previews started after the Aurora shooting. The 3D thing was a self-inflicted handicap on TDKR's gross, but I think it's fair to bring it up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

TDK was helped by Heath Ledger's death. Refer to FF7 and Paul Walker's impact. So.....

But TDKR was never going to come close to The Avengers under any circumstance other than The Avengers being made by Zack Snyder. It is just some people's wet dream and nothing more.