CJohn

BATMAN V SUPERMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 166.01M OW, New March OW Record. 420.4M WW OW.

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

It's actually nine people since Wednesday. :wacko: Three of them have already been reinstated, though.

Thx  Tele. I don't envy your job right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think in the eyes of many, the value of critics reviews went down with this weekend. 29% is a fucking joke. Film is clearly a 70%ish film.

The difference in crictic and audience rating is ridiculous, I wonder how many popular films have a gap as wide as 5/10 (crictics) to 7.8 (audience).

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Snyder pitched, and he's got a better track record than you. ;) 

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

So you mash up a repeat of the nameless alien mook army from Avengers 1 with a half-baked underdeveloped Joker subplot that doesn't really amount to anything other than a BS twist inserted simply to have a BS twist.

Yeah but Excel will guarantee a 225 million opening weekend for his movie.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think in the eyes of many, the value of critics reviews went down with this weekend. 29% is a fucking joke. Film is clearly a 70%ish film.

The film itself was not rated 29%. 29% of critics liked it. The rest didn't.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yes and no. The studios pick what they will make them the most money, but that's not quite the same thing. The audience can vote with their dollars, depending on availability of movies that are made, of course.

But choice is the main issue.

People have so many competing options for entertainment and each person can watch only so much.

Things wouldn't get better if you added a billion more movies and shows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FilmBuff said:

Movie will drop like a rock next weekend! -70%

You are underestimating the power of Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman
ppl are far beyond the critics score, It's now gone to a stage of negative buzz clashing with a huge success

People will go and check what is that movie that everyone talks about.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, excel1 said:

If we've learned anything this weekend, it's that nothing about it is clear. :lol: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

The difference in crictic and audience rating is ridiculous, I wonder how many popular films have a gap as wide as 5/10 (crictics) to 7.8 (audience).

The Choice got 10% and 66% respectively on RT.

I can't think of a gap wider than that. To be fair, the critics' reviews for that movie were complete hogwash.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

But choice is the main issue.

People have so many competing options for entertainment and each person can watch only so much.

Things wouldn't get better if you added a billion more movies and shows.

I'm not saying add a bunch of anything, necessarily... it's that the studios have decided their best way to make as much money as possible is to make fewer movies but have them mostly be giant tentpoles updated from pre-existing IP. Other types of movies have essentially migrated to TV, but there's a hole where mid-budget movies aimed at adult audiences with adult themes used to be.

• Like 2

I doubt there are many films with an audience rating lower then the critics rating. The audience have paid money to go and see a movie so they'll naturally be predisposed to give a movie a good rating.  Critics are paid to see every movie. Obviously they bring their own biases but they are more likely to rate a movie down if they don't like it. 

• Like 2

Just now, DeeCee said:

I doubt there are many films with an audience rating lower then the critics rating. The audience have paid money to go and see a movie so they'll naturally be predisposed to give a movie a good rating.  Critics are paid to see every movie. Obviously they bring their own biases but they are more likely to rate a movie down if they don't like it. 

Are you just talking about films critics don't like? Because the majority of films with an 80% or higher critical rating on Rotten Tomatoes have audience ratings lower than critic ratings.

1 minute ago, aliadiere29 said:

If Allegiant didn't drop 70% in its 2nd weekend, then neither is Batman v Superman.

ALLEGIANT didn't have 30m coming off the books, either. (I don't think BVS will drop that hard either, but a huge part of why these tentpoles drop huge is because they have huge previews).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not saying add a bunch of anything, necessarily... it's that the studios have decided their best way to make as much money as possible is to make fewer movies but have them mostly be giant tentpoles updated from pre-existing IP. Other types of movies have essentially migrated to TV, but there's a hole where mid-budget movies aimed at adult audiences with adult themes used to be.

A film like Spotlight isn't made by the major studios anyone but independents like Open Road and on low budgets. Bridge of Spies got made because it had Hanks and Spielberg and it had a budget of $40m funded by two studios and even successful films like Gone Girl which is on a slightly higher mid range budget was based on a very successful novel. 

• Like 2