WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

1B is not happening which is a disaster. 900M are probably not happening either. WOM is terrible. I just don't see how WB can move forward with JL with Snyder with this kind of results.

If they do take Snyder off then that probably means JL gets started late and misses its 2017 date

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

1B is not happening which is a disaster. 900M are probably not happening either. WOM is terrible. I just don't see how WB can move forward with JL with Snyder with this kind of results.

They aren't happy no matter what they say publicly. I'm really curious to see what they do in the next few days. Don't know how you stand pat when you announced like 10 movies and the first is received like this

(Which goes back to the ridiculousness of announcing 10 movies at once, but that's a discussion for a different day)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

If they do take Snyder off then that probably means JL gets started late and misses its 2017 date

I already gave my proposed schedule for DC. Next year we get Wonder Woman (either moves to November or Dunkirk moves to November and Wonder Woman takes his date). 2018 is for Batman, Flash and Aquaman. March 2019 is for Suicide Squad 2 and in the Summer 2019 we get Justice League.

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

They aren't happy no matter what they say publicly. I'm really curious to see what they do in the next few days. Don't know how you stand pat when you announced like 10 movies and the first is received like this

(Which goes back to the ridiculousness of announcing 10 movies at once, but that's a discussion for a different day)

It is hilarious. It is like when Sony had like 3 Spider-Man sequels on the schedule, a Venom spin-off and a Sinister Six nonsense and it had to pull them all from schedule. Or the T2/T3 Paramount put on schedule 6 months before Genesys opened.

But this is far worse because Suicide Squad is done, Wonder Woman is shooting and JL was planned to start shooting 2 weeks after BvS opened lol. They have to pull the trigger on JL. And change the release dates on pretty much everything. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Zootopia is a phenomenon, like Deadpool, I think you rarely see those kind of box office hits with incredible holds that gain steam weekend after weekend. 

Not to be picky, which is why i "liked" your post, but I would reserve the word "phenomenon" for a film like Frozen, that had just seemed to dominate the culture for a while not just with box office legs but in a broader sense, including other media. Frozen is the only real 'phenomenon' in recent history, even moreso than films that had much bigger movie box office, like Jurassic World or Age of Ultron. Those were bigger movie tidal waves but didn't permeate out beyond that like Frozen did with the songs and every little girl wanting to be one of those princesses and the merchandising  and all that jazz. 

"Star Wars" was just so massive earlier this year that yeah, it fits the bill too.  

I don't think Z quite makes that mark.  OK, so shoot me for being picky, LOL. :) 

Edited by SteveJaros

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I already gave my proposed schedule for DC. Next year we get Wonder Woman (either moves to November or Dunkirk moves to November and Wonder Woman takes his date). 2018 is for Batman, Flash and Aquaman. March 2019 is for Suicide Squad 2 and in the Summer 2019 we get Justice League.

Where would you put Batman in 2018?

48 minutes ago, a2knet said:

A documentary against the idea of religion is Religulous (literally Religion + Ridiculous), by Bill Maher. Irrespective of your beliefs it's worth a watch imo and if nothing else is funny enough thanks to Bill. It's not as offensive towards the religious as the title suggests. Bill interviews and debates a lot of diverse people.

The only problem with Religulous is that it plays like an episode of Punk'd. There are so many interviews where two minutes in the interviewee has this dawning look on their face as they realize the real intention of the interview they agreed to. 

Just now, Heat Vision said:

Where would you put Batman in 2018?

Summer. Probably July. Aquaman in early October or early November. Flash in February or the Spring. I honestly haven't looked at the schedule before writing that. 

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This would be the perfect schedule, as I said in the Marvel x DC topic, I just don't get this whole DC Universe, why the hell are we not getting the solo movies of the members of JL before the movie like Marvel did with Avengers? It makes no sense, a bunch of solo movies (well made) would build the enough buzz to make JL explode in a right way, not what happened with BVS, it seems that DC just want the huge money that they think that JL will make 

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Summer. Probably July. Aquaman in early October or early November. Flash in February or the Spring. I honestly haven't looked at the schedule before writing that. 

If anything I would move Flash and have Aquaman takes its spot and put Batman in July. Flash can happen in October. Three DC movies a year might be a bit harsh though.

11 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I was looking at other superhero films drops and grosses and X-Men: The Last Stand had awful legs despite a huge four day opening as did Origins but did FOX decide to axe future X-Men films? Nope, and while FC and The Wolverine took a hit, the better critical reception and more positive WOM helped Days of Future Past. WB and DC just needs to bear the next few weeks of BvS before making decisions, they still have Suicide Squad coming in August and I think given it was getting more trailer views than BvS before WB has ramped up marketing makes me think it's going to do very well and it'll be unaffected by the WOM and reviews of BvS.

Can I just point how that Fox has no choice but to continue to pump out new x-men films or they lose the rights to Marvel. WB has no such problem with their CBMs. It's the same reason Sony did not want to waste anytime  to reboot Spider-Man again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

This would be the perfect schedule, as I said in the Marvel x DC topic, I just don't get this whole DC Universe, why the hell are we not getting the solo movies of the members of JL before the movie like Marvel did with Avengers? It makes no sense, a bunch of solo movies (well made) would build the enough buzz to make JL explode in a right way, not what happened with BVS, it seems that DC just want the huge money that they think that JL will make 

WB is 8 years late to the party. They thought they could skip the solo movies and go straight to JL and do the solo movies after that. It would have worked if BvS was well received, which it wasn't. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

All along I've thought around $900 million, and that was before anyone saw it. With word as mixed as it is, it's still a gigantic number. We're in trouble if we think almost a billion dollars is a disaster. 

I can't see anyone declaring it underwhelming if Jungle Book doesn't make a billion dollars, falling short with $900 million. That would be seen as a huge hit and we all know Disney have spent a shit load on it. A film that will generate nowhere near the merchandise revenue of BvS. 

Yes I know it's BATMAN and SUPERMAN, but it's far from a disaster. 

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Batman v Superman isn't the 90000000th remake of a Disney cartoon. It's the two most iconic characters in from what is right now the most popular genre in film. It was the FIRST ON SCREEN MEETING between these characters. I think people are missing that this was supposed to be a once-in-a-lifetime holy shit moment on film, and the creative team dropped the ball. 

You have to understand relativity. I don't know if you're a sports fan or not, but it would be like the New England Patriots going 9-7 next year - which would be bad for that franchise - and you saying "That's not bad. If the Cleveland Browns did that it would be good." 

The fact is that WB is leaving a LOT of money on the table because Snyder made a poorly received movie (a movie that I actually like! But that's besides the point.) When you're as rich as studio execs, you don't think about the money you made. You think about the money you didn't make. To rich guys (and gals) making $900 million on a movie that could have made $1.2 billion isn't a gain of $900 million, it's a loss of $300 million. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

They didn't want to bite Marvel's style but a slow build up is the only sensible route for any cinematic universe.

• Like 1