WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates : BVS 52.39M | Zootopia 20M | Wedding 11.13M | God's Not Dead 8.1M | Sun Rth - Bvs 12 or 14.2, Zoo 5.3, MBFGW2 2.8, GND2 2

33 minutes ago, seduh said:

It's not likely to make $300. Zootopia is a Look to make $300, it needs $24,1 to get there, and coming from a $20 weekend, it would need to make 1,2 times this weekend (something that even BvS might achieve from OW). The question now is: can it pass Minions?

Yeah, Zootopia passing $300 million is a lot clearer, thanks to its strong performance despite BvS arrival. Now passing Minions will all depend on its hold when a direct competition aka The Jungle Book opens in two weeks. Hopefully it still manages to stand tall despite the competition!

33 minutes ago, DAR said:

Does that movie have even a shred of buzz to it?

Ads are frequent on TV, Melissa McCarthy is definitely a draw by now (she managed to power Tammy to $80M+ despite awful reviews and a marketing campaign that had no hook to it), and it looks funny enough, which could be important for a marketplace that is as starved for a comedy as it is now. Wouldn't be surprised by $25M.

Hardcore Henry is tough to predict though, could easily go as high as $15M or as low as sub-$10M next weekend. Reviews are strong but this is a gimmick that's questionable in terms of appeal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Ads are frequent on TV, Melissa McCarthy is definitely a draw by now (she managed to power Tammy to $80M+ despite awful reviews and a marketing campaign that had no hook to it), and it looks funny enough, which could be important for a marketplace that is as starved for a comedy as it is now. Wouldn't be surprised by $25M.

Hardcore Henry is tough to predict though, could easily go as high as $15M or as low as sub-$10M next weekend. Reviews are strong but this is a gimmick that's questionable in terms of appeal.

I don't know about others, but Melissa McCarthy act is getting tiring. Same act, same facial expression same stupid routine all around, it becomes pretty much annoying. Seeing her in the new Ghost Buster Movie turns me off.

Edited by Subzero
  • Like 1

Just now, Subzero said:

I don't know about others, but Melissa McCarthy act is getting tiring. Same act, same facial expression same stupid routine all around, it becomes pretty much annoying.

The box office numbers of her movies say otherwise.

Spy did $110M for the first of her Feig collaborations to be entirely sold on her starpower. And as already mentioned, she took a movie as lame as Tammy to $80M+ despite shit reviews and a marketing campaign that didn't sell a shard of a plot.

3 minutes ago, Subzero said:

I don't know about others, but Melissa McCarthy act is getting tiring. Same act, same facial expression same stupid routine all around, it becomes pretty much annoying. Seeing her in the new Ghost Buster Movie turns me off.

She's popular right now, maybe in 5 years she wont be. It's the same situation as Kevin Hart. 

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

If SS does close to BvS domestically, I think WB will be happy but it'll give them ammunition that Snyder was the problem with BvS and likely he won't be back for JL II (not that I think he would do it, it looked exhausted from BvS)

They will be thrilled if it matches BVS.

It's a relatively smaller movie and following a badly received DCEU movie. But considering it has Joker, a couple big names and that the trailer has been very well received, it should do 85m ow/245m dom/620 ww, if the wom's good. DCEU would be served very well if SS accepted positively by the GA.

• Like 1

McCarthy is very funny but I'm feeling like she's playing the same character.  And Hardcore Henry just looks like nothing but a pure gimmick 

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dingdong123 said:

Yeah, Zootopia passing $300 million is a lot clearer, thanks to its strong performance despite BvS arrival. Now passing Minions will all depend on its hold when a direct competition aka The Jungle Book opens in two weeks. Hopefully it still manages to stand tall despite the competition!

It's interesting how in that field, direct competition is especially harmful. I mean when another action blockbuster opens, it can hurt the existing ones in the marketplace, but more in a normal zone I feel like. When Zootopia opened, it completely destroyed Kung Fu Panda 3's legs. It just cut that film to pieces and pretty soon theaters were dropping it left and right, even though previous to that Panda did fine / well as far as holds. I think the kid audience isn't heavily targeted, so when a new movie comes out, it soaks up most of the business from that demographic. 

I didn't crunch the numbers, so where does BVS likely finish at this point? Any ideas? And it won't fall 68% next weekend, so will that mean a more normal 50%? Or higher still? Probably still in the $20 million range, maybe $23M? $24M?

6 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I didn't crunch the numbers, so where does BVS likely finish at this point? Any ideas? And it won't fall 68% next weekend, so will that mean a more normal 50%? Or higher still? Probably still in the $20 million range, maybe $23M? $24M?

52-56% drop next weekend. 

• Like 3