kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: 23.48 M THE BOSS | 23.44 M BVS: DOJ | 14.35 M ZOOTOPIA | 5.10 M HARDCORE HENRY

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Deadline's too much.  It takes a several paragraphs long crap all over Melissa McCarthy's film choices and derides The Boss's stinky cinema score and RT and then gives us this fucking PR spin gem for BvS (the latest in a long line of them) where WB can RELISH that they might cling to the #1 spot for the 3rd weekend after another huge plummet

Yeah its pretty transparent of Deadline. The Boss continues Mccarthy's reign as a box office star, it cost pennies to make and the studio is quite happy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

I'm excited for both Edge of Tomorrow and Jack Reacher's sequels. Say what you will about Tom Cruise (psycho, closeted, Scientologist) but the guy has consistently delivered quality movies since Risky Business. 

And he's never given a performance where he's phoned it in either 

• Like 2

Just now, babz06 said:

Yeah its pretty transparent of Deadline. The Boss continues Mccarthy's reign as a box office star, it cost pennies to make and the studio is quite happy. 

In fairness most if not all comedies cost pennies to make relative to other studio genres.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAR said:

I totally agree with this.  I may not like all his movies, but he is one of an extreme few that I can say has always given his all in his movies.

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

In fairness most if not all comedies cost pennies to make relative to other studio genres.

I am old enough to remember when comedies were funny.

RIP George Carlin

• Like 1

• Community Manager
25 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

There were quite a few on here (non fanboys) who saw this having crummy legs pre release. Can't remember anyone credible arguing for a less than 2 multiplier. This likely isn't beating Superman 2 and/or Batman Returns adjusted after opening to $166m lol. Enough said.

There were some who saw the bad legs months ahead of release. Like me who predicted terrible legs months ago. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Ya lost your minds.

That happens here, LOL ... BvS is a disappointment, but it's a relative disappointment. It's disappointing that it's not going to beat either of the last two Batman movies DOM. It's not going to do $500m DOM and $1.4b WW as a signature, universe-starting tentpole might have been expected to do. 

But at $300m+ DOM and close to $1B WW, it is nowhere near a "real" disappointment. That category is reserved for films like "John Carter" and "Tomorrowland", that cost $250m and barely made that much WW. BvS is nothing like that. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Agreed.   He's one of many actors who are odd off camera (so much so that we shouldn't be surprised), but I can't deny his talent, dedication, and professionalism.   His co-stars seem to love him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

BTW with the Rogue One trailer coming out and the Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts trailers coming out this week I'm just kinda sitting around scratching my head at where the Jason Bourne trailer is

No need to market that movie, you know his name!

I'll be nice and say this gets to $330m right at a 2 multiplier, How acceptable is BVS doing only $30m, $51m, $63m adjusted more than MOS, BB, Superman Returns domestically? There is zero question Returns will be a worse ROI based on its puny OS total relative to how it is now a decade later in certain markets (same with BB) and massive budget but for it to be within 20% of BvS is legit shocking. 

Edited by GiantCALBears

9 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

That happens here, LOL ... BvS is a disappointment, but it's a relative disappointment. It's disappointing that it's not going to beat either of the last two Batman movies DOM. It's not going to do $500m DOM and $1.4b WW as a signature, universe-starting tentpole might have been expected to do. 

But at $300m+ DOM and close to $1B WW, it is nowhere near a "real" disappointment. That category is reserved for films like "John Carter" and "Tomorrowland", that cost $250m and barely made that much WW. BvS is nothing like that. 

Count me as one who is not disappointed that it won't beat the last 2 Batmans. While Affleck is a pretty good Batman, this film's box office performance only goes to show that it's not so easy to follow the two best Batman films that have ever seen the silver screen. Chris Nolan set the bar very high with TDK, and even though TDKR lowered the bar a little, it would be rather disappointing to me if some lesser director trumped those films just by being the first to have Supes, Batman and WW in a live action film. 

Besides, this performance sends a pretty clear message to the WB and Nolan that he needs to keep on making movies because he is on a short list of active filmmakers who knows how to make quality big budget films. 

17 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Im almost sure that if BvS didn't have well Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in it we'd be talking about Tomorowland numbers. It's very clear that the movie made its money because of the hype surrounding it. It's barely going to cross $850M WW after opening at $420M WW. If you told WB that BvS opened to $420M WW they'd tell you $1B here we come. So in fact this movie has been a disappointment. Anything that doesn't reach its potential is a disappointment.