grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

But is really a 20 year old case news? If the purpose of the people who were outraged by Parker's past was to not "get away with it" and go win some oscars and money as if the rape never happened, well he didn't. He's reputation in the industry is damaged beyond repair, his would-be oscar contender movie is dead, his career at least as a mainstream actor may be over before it started for all we know.

Most of general audiences don't know about any of this because they have no idea who the f Nate Parker is. They would have learned about this if his movie indeed became an oscar winning hit and he was already famous but he isn't and his movie is probably gonna have a quiet death in theatres. So what's the point of still talking about this rape case beyond piling on an easy target.

1 minute ago, Joel M said:

But is really a 20 year old case news? If the purpose of the people who were outraged by Parker's past was to not "get away with it" and go win some oscars and money as if the rape never happened, well he didn't. He's reputation in the industry is damaged beyond repair, his would-be oscar contender movie is dead, his career at least as a mainstream actor may be over before it started for all we know.

Most of general audiences don't know about any of this because they have no idea who the f Nate Parker is. They would have learned about this if his movie indeed became an oscar winning hit and he was already famous but he isn't and his movie is probably gonna have a quiet death in theatres. So what's the point of still talking about this rape case beyond piling on an easy target.

Because Parker still act like he's the victim in all of this.

I will say this though: had this been known before the film was even made, I have to imagine no one would've agreed to be in it and it never would've been made. Bad enough Fox is regretting that investment they made when they bought it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It is a far jump from not wanting someone to get off scott free and 'piling on an easy target' imho.  His latest words make it clear he takes no responsibility for doing anything wrong.  Why do you mind if people who are angry about it and think it plays into marketing of the movie discuss it?

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because Parker still act like he's the victim in all of this.

I will say this though: had this been known before the film was even made, I have to imagine no one would've agreed to be in it and it never would've been made. Bad enough Fox is regretting that investment they made when they bought it.

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

It is a far jump from not wanting someone to get off scott free and 'piling on an easy target' imho.  His latest words make it clear he takes no responsibility for doing anything wrong.  Why do you mind if people who are angry about it and think it plays into marketing of the movie discuss it?

Because I think you are piling on an easy target. He's stuck promoting a movie that is already dead, I'm pretty sure he would prefer crawl up in a cave until all this is over instead of doing interviews. What you expect him to say? That he is a rapist and ask for forgiveness on national tv? The only reason to still talk about this is to repeat endlessly how Nate Parker is a deplorable human being which is kind of tasteless at this point. I guess it made more sense 2 months ago when he was the new hot thing on the rise to bring him down, but now he is down.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joel M said:

So what's the point of still talking about this rape case beyond piling on an easy target.

How about we talk about it because it has a major impact on this movie's trajectory? This is the movie's thread. If you find the discussion redundant you don't have to participate in it, but please don't try to silence those of us who do care and do want to discuss this.

And LOL at the idea that talking about this is "piling on an easy target". Poor Parker, cry me a river.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

How about we talk about it because it has a major impact on this movie's trajectory? This is the movie's thread. If you find the discussion redundant you don't have to participate in it, but please don't try to silence those of us who do care and do want to discuss this.

And LOL at the idea that talking about this is "piling on an easy target". Poor Parker, cry me a river.

OK, I had written up a much longer and more detailed response but you said it much more succinctly, so I'll go with that.

4 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I'm not trying to defend him, I just think his own and his movie's fate is already sealed. Even if it isn't out in theatres yet. Anyway carry on.

Watch it for the crew

At this month’s Toronto International Film Festival, where Birth screened to two standing ovations, Yahoo Movies asked Parker and the cast what their message would be to those who’ve said they won’t see the film in light of recent revelations.

“I would say there are 400-plus people that have worked on this film,” Parker said (watch above). “I think [it has] healing qualities for our country. I think there’s a conversation that needs to be had.”

Costar Gabrielle Union echoed those sentiments. “This movement is bigger than Nate Parker,” she said. “It’s bigger than me, it’s bigger than any one individual we have in this film.”

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

What you expect him to say? That he is a rapist and ask for forgiveness on national tv?

To at least show remorse for his actions, which possibly led this poor woman to taking her life. But no, he doesn't show any of that. And even said so himself. So fuck you, Nate Parker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Has anyone even seen any ads for this? I haven't. Not even in places where you would expect like CNN.

There was an ad during Empire last night, it showed Parker's scenes but didn't mention him by name.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

at least there's one director who'd still wanna work with him

nate-parker-mel-gibson.jpg?w=670&h=377&c

Oh dear...

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

It's very painful for him that people keep reminding him he raped someone

IKR? Poor him. 

You know, I first heard about the charges and acquittal back when Great Debaters came out, but in very limited terms and the interview didn't mention the friend who was convicted at first, or the business with harassing the woman. He didn't go on about it but then he wasn't the star, so it was easier for him to just gloss over specifics. If you didn't know any more details, it was easy to categorize it as a he-said she-said case and believe that maybe he was really innocent. He had a nice career as a working actor and no one was doing exposés on the fifth-billed guy in Non-Stop. It's only because he sought the limelight as this heroic storyteller bravely rescuing Nat Turner's legacy, that he's in this predicament. Not only that, but to bring on the other guy as a co-writer and to add in that scene, casting himself as the righteous avenger....seriously, what is his damage? Is he colossally arrogant or incredibly stupid or both? 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Joel M said:

Because I think you are piling on an easy target. He's stuck promoting a movie that is already dead, I'm pretty sure he would prefer crawl up in a cave until all this is over instead of doing interviews. What you expect him to say? That he is a rapist and ask for forgiveness on national tv? The only reason to still talk about this is to repeat endlessly how Nate Parker is a deplorable human being which is kind of tasteless at this point. I guess it made more sense 2 months ago when he was the new hot thing on the rise to bring him down, but now he is down.

I'm not under the impression that he's rather be anywhere than the press tour. It seems to me that he is the only one still excited about it. He honestly thinks he did nothing wrong except being a Christian man who drank and ended up with a woman didn't know. He doesn't see that he raped a woman and ruined her life. 

And I don't see how its tasteless to keep say he's deplorable when he keeps dong tasteless interviews that show his deplorable self. 

• Like 5

I can't at anyone who thinks we are beating a dead horse when it comes to this situation. When you rape someone, you don't deserve to sit comfortably and talk about your movie/life like nothing happened. Especially when you show absolutely no remorse to your victim who killed herself and then still try to make it look like you're the victim. It should be as uncomfortable as possible. So I'm glad the people interviewing Parker aren't letting him slide and are questioning him about it. And with each new interview that comes out, it shows Parker's true side and how much of a piece of shit he is. But in the end, nothing that Parker is going through right now will ever compare to what his victim went through. So I could give a shit about how Parker is being treated and how we are beating a dead horse.