grim22

Birth of a Nation | Fox Searchlight | Sundance Grand Jury Prize. ONLY DISCUSS THE MOVIE AND BOX OFFICE IN THIS THREAD.

....so......

Nate Parker is about to be on 60 Minutes with Anderson Cooper.  Apparently this was booked before the controversy surfaced.  I'm guessing that the preparation that went into the presidential debate (particularly on Trump's side) was nothing next to the preparation Parker'll be getting. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nate-parker-anderson-cooper-60-minutes-birth-of-nation-release-933578

12 minutes ago, trifle said:

....so......

Nate Parker is about to be on 60 Minutes with Anderson Cooper.  Apparently this was booked before the controversy surfaced.  I'm guessing that the preparation that went into the presidential debate (particularly on Trump's side) was nothing next to the preparation Parker'll be getting. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nate-parker-anderson-cooper-60-minutes-birth-of-nation-release-933578

That should be interesting. Let's see if he ends up burying himself even deeper in this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

I have screening tix for Monday. Not sure if I'm gonna go.

11 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Part of me says go, if just because of the rumors swirling that it might not be good, we need some on the ground reporting. 

Unless the ticket cost you money. Cause screw that.

I'd find it hard to sit through the invented gang rape scene of "Nat Turner"'s wife that never happened in history, which, after amazing in depth research, the two co-writers of this film chose to present as a catalyst to Nat Turner's actions thereafter. 

On the other hand, if you have screening tickets, likely there is a professional reason you have them, and possibly a professional reason to go, or just curiousity.  Do as you feel best, obviously.

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/nate-parker-birth-of-a-nation-rape-claims-sister-penn-state-1201874004/

Where's the Mariah grave gif? Never has it been more appropriate.

As her sister, the thing that pains me most of all is that in retelling the story of the Nat Turner slave revolt, they invented a rape scene. The rape of Turner’s wife is used as a reason to justify Turner’s rebellion.

This is fiction. I find it creepy and perverse that Parker and Celestin would put a fictional rape at the center of their film, and that Parker would portray himself as a hero avenging that rape.

Given what happened to my sister, and how no one was held accountable for it, I find this invention self-serving and sinister, and I take it as a cruel insult to my sister’s memory.

I think it’s important for people to know Nat Turner’s story. But people should know that Turner did not need rape to justify what he did. Parker and Celestin did not need to add that to Turner’s story to make him more sympathetic.

Yeah, that kind of turns my stomach, too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrPink said:

His 60 Minutes Interview this weekend seems to indicate he's going full on "Fuck it" mode

http://deadline.com/2016/09/nate-parker-60-minutes-rape-trial-no-apology-birth-of-a-nation-1201828463/

Movie is dead

Nate Parker stopped caring at about the same time Fox Searchlight stopped caring by the looks of it. 

"In the video at the source, Parker says he feels no guilt about the night in question. He also says "as a Christian Man, being in that situation I definitely feel like its no longer the lens I have now at 36 than I did at 19." 

In a quote released by CBS, Parker elaborated on his feelings about the victims suicide by saying: "I feel terrible that this woman isn’t here…her family had to deal with that, but as I sit here, an apology is – no."

Did his PR team seriously think this new route was the best way to go? At first he was sorry and said it was a mistake and he had grown up. Now he is innocent and he is not at fault and he is not sorry. Like WTF, dude?

Edited by Frozen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

"In the video at the source, Parker says he feels no guilt about the night in question. He also says "as a Christian Man, being in that situation I definitely feel like its no longer the lens I have now at 36 than I did at 19." 

In a quote released by CBS, Parker elaborated on his feelings about the victims suicide by saying: "I feel terrible that this woman isn’t here…her family had to deal with that, but as I sit here, an apology is – no."

Did his PR team seriously think this new route was the best way to go? At first he was sorry and said it was a mistake and he had grown up. Now he is innocent and he is not at fault and he is not sorry. Like WTF, dude?

And the bit about 'I would look at it through a different lens now' is actually damning, and not the first time he's said something like that.  If it didn't occur precisely as the transcripts (and the conviction of the second guy/ co-writer) indicate, what would there be to view through a different lens?  He seems to be still saying having sex with an unconscious woman you are on a date with and inviting your friend to hop on as well is something that one lens or another makes ok.

• Like 2

I can understand if the victim's family want to keep speaking up against Nate Parker until his movie is out of theatres. It's their right to think that he is the sole person responsible for their daughter's/sister's suicide, it's too personal for them. But the angry mob mentality that's been going on in this thread (and the internet in general) has become ridiculous. movie is dead, it won't win any awards, it willl barely make any money, Parker's career would struggle for a long time to recover from this if at all. Can we stop beating that dead horse?

Edited by Joel M

7 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I can understand if the victim's family want to keep speaking up against Nate Parker until his movie is out of theatres. It's their right to think that he is the sole person responsible for their daughter's/sister's suicide, it's too personal for them. But the angry mob mentality that's been going on in this thread (and the internet in general) has become ridiculous. movie is dead, it won't win any awards, it willl barely make any money, Parker's career would struggle for a long time to recover from this if at all. Can we stop beating that dead horse?

We're responding to new news items.  And actually, more than half of the places I see write ups of this film don't even mention this, and I wonder if the general audience is aware of it.  I think it will kill awards chances, though.

• Like 1