cannastop

Wednesday: Jungle Book $5.85M

Yeah, I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is about - the bigger the Tuesday the harder the Wednesday, particularly for Family films. As long as it holds better than Alice in the long run (cause Alice really did have meh legs all things considered) it will be fine.

And again - Middle APRIL plays differently than middle March - particularly when Easter is early like it was this year.

And there has also been a trend all year long for harsher wednesdays than previously seen. Probably has more to do with the fact that Q1 ticket prices are the highest on average they have ever been in the quarter (see deadline's article.)

If it stays flat today (being pessimistic)

5.7 Thursday

14.25 Friday (+150%)

22.80 Sat (+60%)

14.82 Sun (-35%)

Weekend of 51.87 -49.7%

I still don't see how it drops more than 50% even at the worst

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I disagree. You can look at the Wednesday drops of Rio 2 and Furious 7 here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=rio2.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=fast7.htm

So if you are saying that it's a bad drop, then what conclusion to you draw from the first Wednesday of the films existence?  Do you think this means that it is going to crumble this weekend?  Do you think this means people didn't like it?  Do you think it's multiplier will now suffer?  What exactly does this mean?  

There are all kinds of reasons as to why it could have fallen more.  I don't know what those reasons are but a Wednesday number is simply irrelevant.  Maybe the weather was crappier in some parts of the country, maybe the election interest is causing films to suffer more during the week.  Maybe people just have more to do this year than they did in 2014 and 2015.  All I know is that if you are living and dying with daily numbers in the middle of April, then you are going to be in a straight jacket soon.  Talk to me after this weekend when it drops by whatever it drops.  

For the record, Jungle Book is going to pass Rio 2's total in about it's 8th day of release.  So I don't think there is much doom and gloom. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@Baumer

I'm not predicting a collapse, and I'm not committing the atrocity of poisoning the well. I'm just pointing out that the drop is a little more than expected.

This has nothing to do with poisoning the well.  We don't want you guys afraid to comment on anything you want.  I'm just merely pointing out that there are a litany of reasons as to why it might have fallen more than Rio.

• Like 3