WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Snow White and the Huntsman made a ton of money but did anyone leave it thinking "I hope we see a follow-up to it"?

Maybe a follow up with the whole cast and Emily Blunt as a new addition (and not correcting the Huntsman's wife is dead angle from the first one)? And not a movie that was sold as 50 different things? Every trailer/TV spot sold a different story (team Blunt vs team Theron, prequel angle, sequel angle, sisters team up to take over the world, etc, no TV spot/trailer sold the actual story of the movie itself lol). I would have liked to see a proper follow up where Blunt's character would get the mirror early and reborn her sister from it and both would attack Snow White's kingdom. 

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Maybe a follow up with the whole cast and Emily Blunt as a new addition (and not correcting the Huntsman's wife is dead angle from the first one)? And not a movie that was sold as 50 different things? Every trailer/TV spot sold a different story (team Blunt vs team Theron, prequel angle, sequel angle, sisters team up to take over the world, etc, no TV spot/trailer sold the actual story of the movie itself lol). I would have liked to see a proper follow up where Blunt's character would get the mirror early and reborn her sister from it and both would attack Snow White's kingdom. 

A sequel would've seen a big drop-off no matter what. Besides, Stewart opted to not come back in all likelihood when the previous movie made her something of a walking joke in the media (due to off-screen shenanigans with the philandering director) and didn't see a follow-up as a good career move.

Just now, filmlover said:

A sequel would've seen a big drop-off no matter what. Besides, Stewart opted to not come back in all likelihood when the previous movie made her something of a walking joke in the media (due to off-screen shenanigans with the philandering director) and didn't see a follow-up as a good career move.

It would have seen a big drop, but never as big as this lol. 

One thing we've learned recently is that audiences can now smell an unnecessary sequel from miles away. Ted 2 bled almost 2/3 of the audience from the first film despite that movie being considered well-received, for instance.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 8

Just now, grey ghost said:

Was there ever a chance Huntsman 2 could've made 150+ m?

Let's say they kept KStew and the quality was decent?

Would it still disappoint or flop?

Yeah, it would. The first was a one-off, and the only thing people remember from it now is the scandal that KStew slept with her married director, if even that.

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Was there ever a chance Huntsman 2 could've made 150+ m?

Let's say they kept KStew and the quality was decent?

Would it still disappoint or flop?

Maybe it would have done better. I expect this to end well below 50M. I think a sequel with the whole cast plus Blunt as Ice Queen could do solid business.

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Holy crap, I just realized that other than Avatar and 2 of the SW Prequels, Deadpool is Fox's highest grossing movie domestically to date.

Removing the last Potter and the last 2 Dark Knight movies, the highest grossing WB movie is American Sniper. Isn't that amazing?

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Holy crap, I just realized that other than Avatar and 2 of the SW Prequels, Deadpool is Fox's highest grossing movie domestically to date.

The little merc that could. Isn't it amazing how little faith Fox had in it to begin with? They'd even cut its very modest budget by $7m just a little bit before filming started. Silly executives had no faith in one of the best superheroes ever made, tsk tsk, how they were proven wrong.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

The little merc that could. Isn't it amazing how little faith Fox had in it to begin with? They'd even cut its very modest budget by $7m just a little bit before filming started. Silly executives had no faith in one of the best superheroes ever made, tsk tsk, how they were proven wrong.

Come December, we'll still be talking about this on our "best BO surprises of the year" trust me.

• Like 1