cannastop

Best Original Song 2016

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah, from the trailers neither sounds award-worthy. Definitely could see Moana winning then if it's got a real show-stopper in there.

I haven't actually listened to the songs in La La Land, but I'm not impressed with Moana's music either. It will be a showdown between overhyped Oscar bait tunes! :ph34r:

Edited by cannastop

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah, from the trailers neither sounds award-worthy. Definitely could see Moana winning then if it's got a real show-stopper in there.

ChipMunky has seen the movie and he says Moana's main contender is How Far I'll Go; a brief clip of the song was released but it's been removed. The song didn't sound like it'd win an Oscar.

15 hours ago, ban1o said:

I wonder if That Suicide Squad song will have a chance of being nominated? Heathens I think It was a pretty big hit. 

No, I'd say Can't Stop This Feeling or True Colors from Trolls has a better chance of getting nominated than that. But then again out of the all the Categories, best song has me at a loss more than others, like that dreadful Spectre song winning last year and See You Again (which should have won) wasn't even nominated. or that song that no one remembers from TS3 winning over "See the Light" from Tangled. 

What about Something Wild from Pete's Dragon? it's probably my favorite song of the year so far.

Edited by Kalo

On 10/11/2016 at 1:43 AM, yjs said:

City of Stars from La La Land is releases on iTunes and it's.. eh... 1 minute 30 seconds. 

Yeah both the songs are lovely, but they're super short and could benefit with at least an extra minute added to them.

• Like 1

I would say that "Heathens" isn't getting nominated, but I also didn't think they'd go for the sleazy Weeknd song from Fifty Shades of Grey (although I did think they would be receptive of the mellower - and better - Ellie Goulding love song), so we'll see. My taste in music isn't exactly a match with theirs.

You never know anything with this branch. For example, everyone and their mother thought "See You Again" was a lock this time last year until it got shut out from even getting nominated (most likely because they really, really, really didn't want to make a Fast & the Furious movie an Oscar nominee, even though they had no problem making Fifty Shades of Grey one).

Then again, one could easily make a case that they should probably just retire this category completely after that awful Sam Smith win for that travesty of a song.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

You never know anything with this branch. For example, everyone and their mother thought "See You Again" was a lock this time last year until it got shut out from even getting nominated (most likely because they really, really, really didn't want to make a Fast & the Furious movie an Oscar nominee, even though they had no problem making Fifty Shades of Grey one).

Then again, one could easily make a case that they should probably just retire this category completely after that awful Sam Smith win for that travesty of a song.

Do you think this category could be abolished? Disney wouldn't take it lying down, but would anyone else care?

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Do you think this category could be abolished? Disney wouldn't take it lying down, but would anyone else care?

At times no (there have certainly been some very worthy recent winners like "Let It Go" and "Glory") but sometimes it's like put this category out of its misery.

Edited by filmlover