CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

16 minutes ago, The Panda Knight said:

I'm just praying now Finding Dory is the beast I thought it'd be when I made my list and hits 550m DOM

I'm hoping it's a beast too. I'd love for it to be that high, but I do have it overtaking civil war with chasmmis summer game.

9 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Just imagine you were a casual box office follower. Another words not a fanatical Looney like the way we are at this site. You go look up The Winter Soldier's box office and see that it open to 95 million and grossed 240 or whatever it did. Then you look and see that this film is going to open to about 165 million dollars. You would think to yourself holy crap that is a huge increase compared to the last one. This is why when people tell you that you're conservative predictions are stupid and ridiculous and way off that they need to check themselves as well.

Eh it should still be much higher then 165. In BKBs thread I guessed 175-185 originally before upping it to 180-190 last week then finally just saying fuck it, everyone else is above 200 why not and went for 204 this week.

I think we could still see a west coast bump tonight and that Saturday is good. I don't see this dropping this weekend like BvS did.

With Deadlines numbers, think it's going to be back to 175-185.

Edited by somebody85

11 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

I mean, this is probably what's going to happen to Star Wars in 5-10 years too.. Kinda inevitable when you start releasing a lot of movies. 

If the "tentpoles" for both Marvel and Lucasfilm do at least $175/$450-525* each and every time for 10 years, I suspect Disney will be very very happy.

* Adjust for future inflation, obviously.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Remember Fandango reporting the biggest superhero pre-sale movie ever? Or something like that.? 

Outpacing BvS and Ultron? 

Total marketing bullshit. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Just saw it for a second time tonight with two buddies. They had the exact same reaction that I did about it. The first hour or so is painfully difficult to get through. But once the good stuff starts it becomes an absolutely incredible experience. It's just too bad the first hour or so it's so dry. As for the numbers, I realize it will obviously do more than 150 but if it really does come in around Batman vs. Superman my 150 million dollar prediction will be way way closer then those that predicted it to be close to 225 LOL

Welp there goes my bold prediction. I liked the buildup there because it had so much to do with the other movies.

3 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Remember Fandango reporting the biggest superhero pre-sale movie ever? Or something like that.? 

Outpacing BvS and Ultron? 

Total marketing bullshit. 

It's still early in the weekend. They never said all presales were for Thursday night.

2 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

We'll see. 

Well WOM seems to be excellent. It hasn't dropped at all from the 91% on Flixster earlier and also got an A Cinemascore. Would be surprised to see it drop like BvS tomorrow or Sunday.

If it does, there will be some articles about super hero fatigue. But again it's really unlikely.

Grrr to those griping about the summer game.... I should have stuck to my guns and not increased my 180/450 predict..... *sigh* oh well I still think the number is good and frankly all the dissatisfaction with the number just points to the lack of self control this board has with expectations. 

• Like 2

Nearly 2,000 reviews have been added on Flixster since this afternoon. It has not budged from 91% 4.4/5.

It only dropped to 8.5 on metacritic. Think it was an 8.6 earlier.

That means it should hold strong over the weekend unlike another film.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, movieboner said:

On the bright side, Civil War is tracking for a $100 million+ ow in China.

But again, people were expecting an OD that was 50-100 yuan bigger. It's a "disappointment" in China much as it is here. 

425+ dom, 825+ os, 1.25b+ ww is insanely successful.

looking at the meltdowns and some reactions in the thread a new poster might think the movie has tanked and mcu has been cancelled.

• Like 2

Just now, a2knet said:

425+ dom, 825+ os, 1.25b+ ww is insanely successful.

looking at the meltdowns and some reactions in the thread a new poster might think the movie has tanked and mcu has been cancelled.

Good openings for both BvS and CW are being treated like massive letdowns because posters here cannot stop arguing and throwing shade in the weekend threads. Expectations are also set sky high because in the lead up to release fans cannot help themselves but get carried away and talking down to anyone who doesn't share that view.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Still early this should still do 180m+  Saturday should do great. 

Next update with in an hour. 

Let the meltdowns :rant: or melt ups:OMG: go turbo

Could you imagine 165.9m:batman:

tumblr_o4swtjzzNa1rc7zl1o1_540.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

I know yall like to think of this as an Avenger 2.5, but in the end it's still a CA movie. A nearly 100% OW increase and a likely 66%+ total increase over CA2 is nothing to be disapointed about

No it really is TA2.5 when you consider it has RDJ playing a major role. Especially how it was marketed.

• Like 1