CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Just now, James said:

Also, how are people expecting great legs for this? Yeah, WOM seems to be good, but the competition (and I mean direct competition) will kill it after it's second weekend. None of the previous Marvel tentpoles (Avengers, AoU, IM3, Cap 2) had nearly as much competition (the openers in the next 4 weeks will likely combine around 1B). 

Iron Man 3 had far more competition. Not even a discussion. That movie faced Gatsby, Into Darkness, Fast 6 and Hangover 3.

Civil War has 2 weeks of nothing.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

GOTG 2 wont increase much domestically maybe 10% at most

The increase will be from Overseas markets. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  I think it opens to $150m territory and finishes around $400m or so.  

What's going on here, people are crazy, this is a great opening. This was never earning more than AOU on opening weekend, especially after the mixed reactions for it. The fact it's coming so close is amazing. With Civil War they've managed to rebuild bridges and im sure GOTG joining the team will do a lot for this franchise.  

Infinity War will break 200m opening. This was never going to hit that mark

• Like 2

Just now, James said:

Also, how are people expecting great legs for this? Yeah, WOM seems to be good, but the competition (and I mean direct competition) will kill it after it's second weekend. None of the previous Marvel tentpoles (Avengers, AoU, IM3, Cap 2) had nearly as much competition (the openers in the next 4 weeks will likely combine around 1B). 

Eh, competition isn't that intense until the fourth weekend (X-Men/Alice). Angry Birds is aiming primarily at families, Neighbors 2 is rated R, and The Nice Guys will likely do respectable numbers at most.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

It won't surprise me if it decreases a bit like Iron Man 2 either. Agree about OS markets as well. 

5 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm afraid that will have to agree to disagree and I think this is going to be fucking HUGE today and more than makeup for Friday..

:lol:

Ok, stay in there wrong until the end. 

8 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm afraid that will have to agree to disagree and I think this is going to be fucking HUGE today and more than makeup for Friday..

You really need to start replacing the words I think with I want. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Iron Man 3 had far more competition. Not even a discussion. That movie faced Gatsby, Into Darkness, Fast 6 and Hangover 3.

Civil War has 2 weeks of nothing.

Actually, Gatsby and Into Darkness opened on different weekends and their OWs combined are around 120m. The Nice Guys, Neighbors 2 and Angry Birds will make more than than in only one weekend. And in the next one, Alice and X-Men will make more than Fast+Hangover and the week after that, Turtles 2 + Me Before You will combine another 100m. CW has more competition than IM3 had. The difference is CW's second weekend doesn't have a Gatsby. But starting from the third weekend it is a massacre. 

21 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

If it's good, it will outgross civil war

22 minutes ago, James said:

Actually, Gatsby and Into Darkness opened on different weekends and their OWs combined are around 120m. The Nice Guys, Neighbors 2 and Angry Birds will make more than than in only one weekend. And in the next one, Alice and X-Men will make more than Fast+Hangover and the week after that, Turtles 2 + Me Before You will combine another 100m. CW has more competition than IM3 had. The difference is CW's second weekend doesn't have a Gatsby. But starting from the third weekend it is a massacre. 

Neighbors 2 and Angry Birds = massacre? LOL ok.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, James said:

Lol at you saying Neighbors 2, Nice Guys and Angry Birds are competiton (combined they won't make the 80M Into Darkness did). Those movies are flops waiting to happen. And AHAHAHAHAH at TMNT2 and Me Before You combining to another 100M. Also, Alice 2 + Apocalypse won't open above the combined mightiness of Epic, Hangover 3 and Fast 6.

25 minutes ago, James said:

nah bro

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

When we getting that Black Widow movie, doh.

300 million OW guaranteed when it opens in 2021. Even if it opens to a 60 million dollar Friday, I will never give up and wait till Sunday night to concede defeat of my 300-million-dollar club.

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

For those who care, Grace Randolph tweeted out that neither Marvel fatigue or The Jungle Book are to blame for this 'low' opening - the embargo lift a month in advance + international release 1st are, which are leading to less of a rush factor for audiences since, given it's good, they can watch it later down the line.

So in this scenario we could be heading for God tier 3x legs.  

175m opening leading to 525m domestic it is.