CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

They should've just titled it MARVEL'S CIVIL WAR.. That solves that right there and there's no confusion..

But they can't since the actors contracts especially Chris Evans has him in three Captain America movies.  

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah what I mean who the film didn't meet their expectations at the box office are now back pedaling going "wow this is an amazing gross since this is a Captain America movie, not an Avengers film"

I've always been on the "around IM3 OW" group. $200 million never seemed impossible to me though, just highly unlikely.

• Like 1

Oh so the new debate for the next few years will be whether this is a Cap movie or an Avengers movie?

Put me down for a third option, who really gives a fuck.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

I'm with Tele on this one.. I just couldn't get into GOTG.. The Soundtrack had some great 70's music though, so there's that..

You and Tele in agreement over a Marvel movie?

MkYp7X0.gif

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah what I mean who the film didn't meet their expectations at the box office are now back pedaling going "wow this is an amazing gross since this is a Captain America movie, not an Avengers film"

I'm saying it's a great number for a Cap movie and an Avengers movie. Why? If it makes 180mil that's only 11mil less than Age of Ultron. 11mil could account for the small percentage of people who think it's just a Cap movie. It's not like everyone watches tv, and the full trailers are fairly Cap-centric. Regardless, 180mil is great. 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yes, lots of people are predicting JL to make less than BvS

That's the best part....we get to find out what happens.   Predictions are good for "disappointment", "expected", and "exceeded expectations"...but then we find out what the public REALLY thinks.    So some are trying to say this is the new normal box office for Avengers I gather?   That's gotta be what this is about.   So we also have to say the BvS box office is normal for Justice League movies.

Now let's see if that holds up when the real Avengers and JL movies come out.

Additionally, a lot of people here claim that Age of Ultron had mediocre word of mouth after OW. So retaining a majority of that audience is pretty great I think. The novelty has worn off too. You can't expect 200mil for every major blockbuster. Those predictions were dumb to begin with. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

We then have to assume the JL movie will open the same or less than BvS and the next Avengers movie will open the same or than than CW?   :D 

That better happen to support all these claims that CW is an Avengers movie.

Infinity War has always been Marvel's end game. Adding in the Guardians of the Galaxy characters, possibly a few other newbies, and with potential to leave the Earth setting I think it will do monster numbers.

$180m is great for any movie period, it just looks underwhelming cause we all got hyped up with these insane $215m predictions. The first Avengers movie was a big cultural phenomenon. Sequels pretty much always under perform compared to the first in those situations. I guess ESB and ROTJ's box office performances would be considered disappointing compared to Star Wars then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Box Office Freak said:

If it opens to 180....what do you guys think this will make in the long run WW?  A billion is still a lock right?

It will do like 800M OS. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, angeldelmito said:

Tom Holland is cute af and lucky enough to be in the first SM movie that accurately depicts the diversity of Queens.

I love diverse queens.

• Like 4

I never saw this an Avengers movie. However, even looking at it as an Avengers movie, it's still a very good opening.

People (as usual) just got their expectations too high. Boxoffice.com is guilty of this too. Unfortunately, those with the looniest predictions tend to be the loudest on these forums.

Im not sure exactly where boxoffice.com they got their $215m prediction from.  Anyone who said $200m was the floor was just overestimating what a lot of people already knew, it wasn't a true Cap sequel neither was it a true Avengers movie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Box Office Freak said:

If it opens to 180....what do you guys think this will make in the long run WW?  A billion is still a lock right?

1,2B is locked. And it will do more than that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Box Office Freak said:

Awesome! Are we looking at maybe 1.2 billion WW? Which for a cap movie is pretty amazing

We'll know a lot more after today and Sunday, but for now, yeah, that looks like $1.2B is a safe bet.

2 minutes ago, Box Office Freak said:

Awesome! Are we looking at maybe 1.2 billion WW? Which for a cap movie is pretty amazing

A bit more probably.