CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

I mean I'm pumped for Rogue One but ultimately it's a story whose ending people who care about this movie, already know, and people who don't know aren't really going to care much about. Also the last time we saw Darth Vader on screen, he was doing a ridiculous NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Just now, Sam said:

No. You will read it. And you must answer the important question above. The thread title demands it. You have no choice. 

Numbers tagged me earlier in the thread so I did read a few pages, baumer googling the Infinity Stones and liking Guardians now was pretty interesting.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Feels like people are way overpredicting every single movie this year. Star Wars ruined the box office. The only big movie that's going to beat people's hyper-inflated prerelease expectation is friggin Deadpool

We should probably just ban 225-230M OW threads. Leads to nothing but flame wars. Both the 225M threads this year are major war zones. Even last year we had an Ultron over 230M OW thread as well.

At least this thread never gave any false hopes, last year's Ultron OW thread had everyone thinking the first ever 100M OD or at the very least a new OD record was coming up for a full 12+ hours before the 3am Deadline update, you can feel the air being let out of the thread reading the posts after that update.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mredman said:

Its not gonna win OW and its not gonna win Domestic either. Both those will go to Star Wars Rogue 1. It has Darth Vader and it properly also has The Emperor Palpatine and its close to A New Hope. Rogue 1 will be gigantic. CW is gonna be crushed by it.

I was referring to CW beating Ultron's domestic total, not winning 2016 Domestic.

15 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

These arguments are funny and the way people are trying to breakdown them into "binary parts" doesn't really work.

Before this weekend, some people were saying this is Avengers 2.5 and were predicting something massive. These are the people that should be disappointed. A lot of people joined this train because of the buzz and hype (plus some absurd tracking numbers).

Another group of people were arguing that it wasn't an Avengers movie and it wasn't going to make money like an Avengers movie. Oddly enough, some of these people have now changed stance and insist it's an Avengers movie but is underperforming because it didn't open to over $200m. 

Then another group simply said that it isn't an Avengers nor Cap sequel. This opening is perfectly in line what they had predicted. This movie is making EXACTLY what it should make and frankly no one should be entirely surprised when it's been stated by people a number of times. With the shared universe thing getting bigger and bigger, we're going to see a lot more "hybrid sequels" like Cap 3 and predicting them is just extremely difficult.

I've been predicting around IM3 numbers all year and even told people that a 160!!!!! Opening would be great cause it's a Cap sequel first and foremost but these cretins are trying to act like everyone was expecting Avengers numbers when there was NO expectation from anyone except BKB until box-office.com posted that looney number and even I thought it was a tall order. I just couldn't wrap my head around a Cap movie opening that high. My fucking mom loves IM but didn't want to see it because she doesn't like Captain America no matter how many times I show her IM in the trailer. How many people stayed home yesterday with the same thought process? All the ppl I know who wanted to see it? Yup you guessed right they loved TWS. So with this in mind, as I've been saying for months...anything over 150 was going to be a big win for Disney. Anyone trying to put down these numbers is either delusional or has a agenda.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Numbers tagged me earlier in the thread so I did read a few pages, baumer googling the Infinity Stones and liking Guardians now was pretty interesting.

Baumer should google Hogwarts next.

Just now, The Futurist said:

A 180m opening is massive guys, wake the fuck up guys.

There's some studios who would wet themselves over a mere $150 million opening that they will never get. Disney has just spoiled us lately.

14 minutes ago, mredman said:

Its not gonna win OW and its not gonna win Domestic either. Both those will go to Star Wars Rogue 1. It has Darth Vader and it properly also has The Emperor Palpatine and its close to A New Hope. Rogue 1 will be gigantic. CW is gonna be crushed by it.

I dunno about that. Rogue 1 is my most anticipated of the year but that could end up being badly reviewed. But yeah having Vader, Boba Fett and a young Han Solo in it isn't going to hurt it. But people being confused by it and thinking "ughhh enough with the fucking death star!" could hurt it.

If the marketing is there it could happen but I wouldn't say it's the winner of either of those yet either. It's far too soon to call. I hope it's great though.

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We should probably just ban 225-230M OW threads. Leads to nothing but flame wars. Both the 225M threads this year are major war zones. Even last year we had an Ultron over 230M OW thread as well.

At least this thread never gave any false hopes, last year's Ultron OW thread had everyone thinking the first ever 100M OD or at the very least a new OD record was coming up for a full 12+ hours before the 3am Deadline update, you can feel the air being let out of the thread reading the posts after that update.

TFA one was a success but the only war there is when Kal decided to show back up and make it Star Wars V Avatar.

And I think the trades were cautious not to pull another AOU after last year at least on the day of release. Most said 180-200. Only a few said over 200.

Edited by somebody85

Just now, The Futurist said:

A 180m opening is massive guys, wake the fuck up guys.

It's gotta be biggest ever or it ain't good enough, this is how people reacted to the Ultron opening too. Ridiculous prerelease tracking doesn't help. We have to accept that these surveys can no longer come close to accurately predicting the mega-openers

Wait til Star Wars 8 comes along :jeb!:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The nervous breakdowns when Rogue will disappoint ... whatever the lunatic bar it will have in people s mind.

We got a long way to go! Next up Finding Dory. Then ID4: Resurrection. Then Suicide Squad...a lot of people have a lot riding on that one too.