CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

Guys need to remember two things about China

Many films open dont open on Friday.

AOU open on Tuesday so it was a Tues-Sun day gross.

Also the film wont be that leggy but will cross 200 million in China. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

What are the biggest OW in China?

6 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Furious 7, 182m.

That 96m OW isn't enough for Top 5, even.

EDIT: Off BOM

1 Furious 7 $182,400,000 46.7% $390,910,000
2 Avengers: Age of Ultron $155,750,000 64.9% $240,110,000
3 The Mermaid (2016) $120,481,288 22.9% $526,848,189
4 Monster Hunt $107,020,000 28.0% $381,860,000
5 Lost in Hong Kong $106,800,000 42.1% $253,590,000
6 Jurassic World $99,150,000 43.3% $228,740,000
7 Mojin: The Lost Legend $95,437,753 37.3% $255,747,040
8 Breakup Buddies $94,130,000 50.1% $187,970,000
9 Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons $92,460,000 47.0% $196,740,000
10 Transformers: Age of Extinction $92,000,000 28.8% $320,000,000

Those are not weekend grosses, those are weekly grosses.

• Like 4

What a fantastic run for the Marvel Universe.  The only movies they have released that hasn't significantly increased from one movie to the next is AOU, and that was up against at the time the biggest opening movie in history and $600m+ performer, and Iron Man 2 barely missing the domestic total of Iron Man.  

IM- $318m -- IM2 $312m -- IM3 $409m

CA - $176m -- Winter Soldier $259m -- Civil War ~$450m

Thor - $181m -- Thor:DW $206m

Guardians 2 will have a significant increase next year.  Thor teamed up with Hulk will have a decent increase over Dark World.  Ant-Man is only getting more popular, so see a likely increase there as well.  Add in the likely huge debut of Spider-Man/Tony Stark next year and good reception that Black Panther had and I don't think the money train is slowing down any time soon for Disney and Marvel.  

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

What a fantastic run for the Marvel Universe.  The only movies they have released that hasn't significantly increased from one movie to the next is AOU, and that was up against at the time the biggest opening movie in history and $600m+ performer, and Iron Man 2 barely missing the domestic total of Iron Man.  

Guardians 2 will have a significant increase next year.  Thor teamed up with Hulk will have a decent increase over Dark World.  Ant-Man is only getting more popular, so see a likely increase there as well.  Add in the likely huge debut of Spider-Man/Tony Stark next year and good reception that Black Panther had and I don't think the money train is slowing down any time soon for Disney and Marvel.  

I don't know. Dr. Strange has flop written all over it. But we'll see.

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Poor old Thor. 

Just now, ecstasy said:

I don't know. Dr. Strange has flop written all over it. But we'll see.

Dr. Strange is even more difficult than Ant-Man in terms of character, but I don't think it will flop by any measure.  I could see a $50m opening and $140m total and that would be a pretty damn good result for it.  

Just now, FlashMaster659 said:

A BIGGER SPLASH opened with an estimated $110,000 this weekend from 5 locations and has grossed $134,067 in 5 days domestically.

Not terrible. Fab film.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

You like it, Ethan?

I liked it. I don't think I loved it though. Hopefully it sits better with me over time and its just a deal of me having my expectations too high.

23 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Just one huge mishap in your chart there. Civil War is an AVENGERS MOVIE!

People saying this was sold as a Cap movie are hilarious. This would never open with 180M if it were a Cap movie. This was sold as an Avengers movie. I saw a TV spot similar to the ones they do to the Avengers movies mentioning all the heroes. 

Besides, this is a great opening. Avengers 3 will open with 190M.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

People saying this was sold as a Cap movie are hilarious. This would never open with 180M if it were a Cap movie. This was sold as an Avengers movie. I saw a TV spot similar to the ones they do to the Avengers movies mentioning all the heroes. 

I'm not sure anyone said it was sold as a Cap movie. Don't know where this came from. But this narrative has taken on a life of its own.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Nile has so much Marvel bias its actually funny. That he cant even admit Civil War is an Avengers movie is just hilarious

I wonder how Marvel will get people to see Infinity War Part 1? Have certain characters only in Part 1 and not Part 2? It seems every character from the MCU will be in Part 2 so, what's going to be special about Part 1?