CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

35 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is not the point. The point is people saying it would have done 180M OW without Iron Man lol. This is not a normal sequel. 

Exactly. 

In no way this movie even sniff this number without all that cast. It's like LeBron James going to Miami to win his two championship. Without Wade and Bosh, he'll be ringless. He needed huge supporting help. 

Just like this movie. 

Simple as that. 

Edited by VGPOP

44 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I don't understand any of the disappointment. $182m is a great opening and I think it will probably beat Ultron's domestic total too. Marvel has done a really good job of keeping their audience engaged. 

So that bolded part?  It's the reason the Marvel brand is a brand.  WB-DC and Fox could learn a lot from Marvel on that front.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

After the way TWS was received, the better release date and an increase in PLF screens I don't think a $120m o/w would have been an outside shot.  I thought pre IM announcement that it could do around $125m/$300m/$900m and after that IM alone would add $100m domestic and about $300m more WW.

Yup, me too. 

45 minutes ago, CJohn said:

That is not the point. The point is people saying it would have done 180M OW without Iron Man lol. This is not a normal sequel. 

it is pretty hilarious. I mean the opening is not even bad so I don't understand all this backpedaling people are doing.  If it had cracked 200M, the same people would have been "Look at the effect Spider-Man had". 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I never said it would make $180m without Iron Man. that still doesn't make it not a Captain America film. studios do things like that all the time to movies to add $$$

• Like 1

Just now, Kalo said:

I never said it would make $180m without Iron Man. that still doesn't make it not a Captain America film. studios do things like that all the time to movies to add $$$

It is a Captain America movie, but it was not sold as one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

My mom thought Civil War was great but was a bit confused cause she hasnt seen all the MCU films.

You and her should sit down and watch all of them in order. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

It is a Captain America movie, but it was not sold as one. 

Actually it was sold as both, me being a true Captain America fan. I felt the trailers looked very much like a Captain America film and it felt very personal and character driven, but they added enough major players like Iron Man and Spider-Man, along with the Civil War storyline to get people to see it who are not as crazy about Captain America.

Anyways enough talking about this let's move on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

People are severely overestimating how hard Mother's Day will drop next weekend. It's definitely dropping over 50 and probably 55 but I doubt much higher than that. The weekday numbers were very good and Friday was down only 31% or so from last week.

That's because those days were approaching the titular holiday.

New Year's Eve did the same thing and collapsed afterwards.

Edited by cookie

20 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Exactly. 

In no way this movie even sniff this number without all that cast. It's like LeBron James going to Miami to win his two championship. Without Wade and Bosh, he'll be ringless. He needed huge supporting help. 

Just like this movie. 

Simple as that. 

Well in fairness to Lebron, name a superstar who won a championship without huge supporting help. I can't think of one. Maybe Olajuwon in 1994? 

3 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Actually it was sold as both, me being a true Captain America fan. I felt the trailers looked very much like a Captain America film and it felt very personal and character driven, but they added enough major players like Iron Man and Spider-Man, along with the Civil War storyline to get people to see it who are not as crazy about Captain America.

Anyways enough talking about this let's move on. 

It was sold as Cap vs Iron Man. Iron Man was the real draw. All Iron Man movies (starting in Avengers 1) have opened with 174M or more DOM and around 200M OS. 

• Like 1

Just now, SteveJaros said:

Well in fairness to Lebron, name a superstar who won a championship without huge supporting help. I can't think of one. Maybe Olajuwon in 1994? 

The difference is that the major names didn't have to leave their teams. 

I'm happy with the number. It's definetly not a CA movie, but the number is still great for an Avengers movie, after only one year. I think it could have done a little better with Avengers on the title... Well, hope the estimates are under the actuals by a couple of million. And hope this beats AoU in the long run!

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

My man Dirk in 2011 did it without another all star, I believe.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What people are saying this? Who?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Without Iron Man and Spider-Man, Cap3 probably would've done 100-110, with maybe an outside shot at 120.

Absolutely. Well Iron Man without a doubt.