CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

CW will have good IMs though. The next ensemble film will benefit far more from CW than CW did from Dultron no doubt.

The opening is just about as I had expected. My range was 175 to 185. A semi Avengers movie coming around 5% of AOU opening is very good. Good WOM will be reflected in its legs.

Anyway loved the movie.

• Like 1

I do think these Marvel films have generally run their course with the general public, though. The big ensemble films will still open high, but the days where they challenge records (let alone break them) are likely far behind them. Even then, it was really only one film. So many movies (all feeling so similar) will saturate their market and kill some of the audience as curiosity wanes, simple as that.

Very difficult to envision a future Marvel movie opening under better conditions than this one or Ultron did last year, and they're peaking in the high 100s.

The movie was great. was kinda slow at first, but the pay off was definitely worth it. 9/10 overall. 

The opening seems to be just right. Don't know why everyone was freaking out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I do think these Marvel films have generally run their course with the general public, though. The big ensemble films will still open high, but the days where they challenge records (let alone break them) are likely far behind them. Even then, it was really only one film. So many movies (all feeling so similar) will saturate their market and kill some of the audience as curiosity wanes, simple as that.

Very difficult to envision a future Marvel movie opening under better conditions than this one or Ultron did last year, and they're peaking in the high 100s.

He's got a point.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This guy is probably a hoot at parties

The box office walla has 

The box office walla has been  hitting the opium pipe too much lately. He kept reporting BvS to come in 10-20% where it actually did a few weekends.

In Rth we trust. Will probably come in at 77m. 8% below AOU but with a better Saturday hold bring it to high 180s.

Deadline has been low 3 weeks in a row on TJB. Last week their early estimate was 35-36m and it came in above 43m. Looking for mid 20s on that.

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think that's the case for all superhero movies honestly. Really, the only ones that reached $200m OW and/or got close are the 2 Avengers movies and the Iron Man movie immediately after the first Avengers. Everything else seems to be maxed out at 165m-ish. Maybe if BvS was really good, it could've gotten past the $200m mark but now with such toxic buzz, I doubt Justice League will even get close. 

‘Captain America: Civil War’ Looking At 5th Best All-Time Opening With $176.4M; Unseating ‘Iron Man 3’ – Box Office

3rd UPDATE, 9:28PM: Captain America: Civil War based off east coast estimates is looking at an estimated $73.5M opening day, for a $176.4M opening.  This would rank as the fifth highest opening of all-time, a gross that any studio would envy.Disney always saw the opening for Civil War here at a $175M opening, while the industry saw Civil War as high as $200M.  Nothing is broken here. Sequelitis just comes with the territory. Make no mistake, this is a healthy start to the summer. Friday is buffed by $25M from Thursday, and this particularly projection sees a -20% drop into Saturday for $58.8M. That’s better than the -33% Friday-to-Saturday decline for Avengers: Age of Ultron which went from $84.4M to $56.5M.

Deadline.

Edited by Porthos

I imagined that

Spoiler

Spidey's presence

would have made the pre-sales and the previews # become a gigantic phenomenon. Isn't that what the social media activity and the "Hi, guys" trailer allegedly portended?

Edited by Cochofles

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

I imagined that Spidey's presence would have made the pre-sales and the previews # become a gigantic phenomenon. Isn't that what the social media activity and the "Hi, guys" trailer allegedly portended?

Coming off two not very good Spiderman movies though. 

3rd UPDATE, 9:28PM: Captain America: Civil War based off east coast estimates is looking at an estimated $73.5M opening day, for a $176.4M opening.  This would rank as the fifth highest opening of all-time, a gross that any studio would envy.Disney always saw the opening for Civil War here at a $175M opening, while the industry saw Civil War as high as $200M.  Nothing is broken here. Sequelitis just comes with the territory. Make no mistake, this is a healthy start to the summer. Friday is buffed by $25M from Thursday, and this particularly projection sees a -20% drop into Saturday for $58.8M. That’s better than the -33% Friday-to-Saturday decline for Avengers: Age of Ultron which went from $84.4M to $56.5M.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

‘Captain America: Civil War’ Looking At 5th Best All-Time Opening With $176.4M; Unseating ‘Iron Man 3’ – Box Office

Deadline.

73.5m? 

I want 77 damn it.