The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Mark Rylance 100% deserved his Oscar over Stallone. :stirthepot:

The Oscars will continue to use Rocky clips in their montages until the end of days.

• Like 2

Number 67

Up (2009)

36 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 46.5)

MV5BMTk3NDE2NzI4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE1

"That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most."

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (62, -5), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 98%

Box Office: 293m (336.97m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars, and Nominated for Best Picture (as an Animated Film)

IMDb Synopsis: Carl Fredrickson is a little boy and a dreamer who idolizes the adventurer Charles Munts. When he meets Ellie, who also worships Munts, they become close friends. However Charles Munts falls into disgrace, accused of forging the skeleton of the monster of Paradise Falls. He travels in his blimp to South America to bring the monster back alive but is never seen again. Eventually Carl grows up and marries Ellie. They promise each other that they would travel together to Paradise Falls and build a house there. Many years later, Ellie dies and Carl, who's lonely, refuses to move from their house despite the offers of the owner of a construction company. When Carl accidentally hits a worker that damaged his mailbox, he is sentenced to move to a retirement home. However, he uses many balloons to float his house in order to travel to Paradise Falls. Adventure ensues.

Critic Opinion: "What makes “Up” so rousing is that it appeals to our basic instincts to cling to what makes us feel safe while also feeding our need to explore the unknown. Like Carl, the curmudgeonly septuagenarian at the center of the piece, we often sacrifice one for the other, especially as age and responsibilities mount.
So what a thrill it is to see Carl (perfectly voiced by that spunk-hating treasure, Ed Asner) release himself from earth’s chains and suddenly take flight. But as we all know, no one gets away scot-free; there’s always the possibility of the unexpected, the element of surprise that in this instance literally lies on Carl’s doorstep – a thousand feet in the sky.

His name is Russell (voiced wonderfully by 7-year-old Jordan Nagai), a lonely, well-meaning Boy Scout obsessed with earning a merit badge for assisting the elderly. In hopes of fulfilling that quest, he has the misfortune of being just outside Carl’s door at the time of liftoff.  Thus the stage is set for the beginnings of a beautiful – and contentious – friendship that will grow into something quite special; assuming, of course, they first survive the trip and then the many hidden dangers awaiting them in the wilds of South America.

It’s quite a place, too, filled with towering mesas, a mile-high waterfall and enough flora and fauna to stock a botanical garden. In fact, the landscape, gorgeously drawn in luscious 3D (a Pixar first) by a host of animators under the guidance of director Pete Docter (“Monsters, Inc.”), is practically a character onto itself, constantly changing colors and mood.  It’s the same level of nuance that fuels a script by Docter and Bob Peterson that maintains a sense of realism despite the fantastical nature of a tale that in addition to a flying house includes a prehistoric bird, talking dogs and a crazed explorer who’s spent far too much time away from civilization." - Al Alexander

User Opinion: N/A (I can't find the title is to generic to warrant a forum search, so enjoy a longer critic review excerpt)

Personal Comment: Up is the first Pixar film to make our countdown, as well as the second animated film to make it onto our list.  Up is one of the three animated movies to ever receive a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars, putting it in elite territory.  Up also marks the 5th film from the 2000s decade to make our list (just one year off from adding yet another movie to the 2010s decade).  Up is most known for its gorgeous opening sequence, touched with a very melodious and power score, and the powerful wordlessness of the "Married Life" sequence that would leave even the most hard hearted shedding a tear.  Up is one of those animations that touches the heart and soul of anyone who watches it (unless they truly are heartless).

• Like 22

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 67

Up (2009)

36 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 46.5)

MV5BMTk3NDE2NzI4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE1

"That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most."

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (62, -5), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 98%

Box Office: 293m (336.97m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars, and Nominated for Best Picture (as an Animated Film)

IMDb Synopsis: Carl Fredrickson is a little boy and a dreamer who idolizes the adventurer Charles Munts. When he meets Ellie, who also worships Munts, they become close friends. However Charles Munts falls into disgrace, accused of forging the skeleton of the monster of Paradise Falls. He travels in his blimp to South America to bring the monster back alive but is never seen again. Eventually Carl grows up and marries Ellie. They promise each other that they would travel together to Paradise Falls and build a house there. Many years later, Ellie dies and Carl, who's lonely, refuses to move from their house despite the offers of the owner of a construction company. When Carl accidentally hits a worker that damaged his mailbox, he is sentenced to move to a retirement home. However, he uses many balloons to float his house in order to travel to Paradise Falls. Adventure ensues.

Critic Opinion: "What makes “Up” so rousing is that it appeals to our basic instincts to cling to what makes us feel safe while also feeding our need to explore the unknown. Like Carl, the curmudgeonly septuagenarian at the center of the piece, we often sacrifice one for the other, especially as age and responsibilities mount.
So what a thrill it is to see Carl (perfectly voiced by that spunk-hating treasure, Ed Asner) release himself from earth’s chains and suddenly take flight. But as we all know, no one gets away scot-free; there’s always the possibility of the unexpected, the element of surprise that in this instance literally lies on Carl’s doorstep – a thousand feet in the sky.

His name is Russell (voiced wonderfully by 7-year-old Jordan Nagai), a lonely, well-meaning Boy Scout obsessed with earning a merit badge for assisting the elderly. In hopes of fulfilling that quest, he has the misfortune of being just outside Carl’s door at the time of liftoff.  Thus the stage is set for the beginnings of a beautiful – and contentious – friendship that will grow into something quite special; assuming, of course, they first survive the trip and then the many hidden dangers awaiting them in the wilds of South America.

It’s quite a place, too, filled with towering mesas, a mile-high waterfall and enough flora and fauna to stock a botanical garden. In fact, the landscape, gorgeously drawn in luscious 3D (a Pixar first) by a host of animators under the guidance of director Pete Docter (“Monsters, Inc.”), is practically a character onto itself, constantly changing colors and mood.  It’s the same level of nuance that fuels a script by Docter and Bob Peterson that maintains a sense of realism despite the fantastical nature of a tale that in addition to a flying house includes a prehistoric bird, talking dogs and a crazed explorer who’s spent far too much time away from civilization." - Al Alexander

User Opinion: N/A (I can't find the title is to generic to warrant a forum search, so enjoy a longer critic review excerpt)

Personal Comment: Up is the first Pixar film to make our countdown, as well as the second animated film to make it onto our list.  Up is one of the three animated movies to ever receive a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars, putting it in elite territory.  Up also marks the 5th film from the 2000s decade to make our list (just one year off from adding yet another movie to the 2010s decade).  Up is most known for its gorgeous opening sequence, touched with a very melodious and power score, and the powerful wordlessness of the "Married Life" sequence that would leave even the most hard hearted shedding a tear.  Up is one of those animations that touches the heart and soul of anyone who watches it (unless they truly are heartless).

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!

tumblr_inline_o3saehftLT1qf89pq_500.gif

• Like 1

I like The Avengers a lot. It wasn't on my top 100, but I won't begrudge it for being on this list. It's incredibly entertaining.

Up is one of my absolutely favorite Pixar films. It's just great, and amazingly fantastic from start to finish. I love it!

Number 66

There Will Be Blood (2007)

37 Points (10 Votes, Avg Score 37.6)

there_will_be_blood_ver4.jpg

"I'm finished."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (99, +43), 2013 (34, -32), 2012 (27, -39)

Tomatometer: 91%

Box Office: 40.22m (48.07m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: The intersecting life stories of Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday in early twentieth century California presents miner-turned-oilman Daniel Plainview, a driven man who will do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. He works hard but also takes advantage of those around him at their expense if need be. His business partner/son (H.W.) is, in reality, an "acquired" child whose true biological single-parent father (working on one of Daniel's rigs) died in a workplace accident. Daniel is deeply protective of H.W. if only for what H.W. brings to the partnership. Eli Sunday is one in a pair of twins whose family farm Daniel purchases for the major oil deposit located on it. Eli, a local preacher and a self-proclaimed faith healer, wants the money from the sale of the property to finance his own church. The lives of the two competitive men often clash as Daniel pumps oil off the property and tries to acquire all the surrounding land at bargain prices to be able to build a pipeline to the coast, and as Eli tries to build his own religious empire.

Critic Opinion: "I've already heard people mumbling about There Will Be Blood's inordinate length (it's over two and a half hours long), about the fact that for long stretches nothing much seems to be happening. They are wrong, of course. Within these beautifully photographed (by Robert Elswit) landscapes, we are witnessing the impact of events (some of them by no means dramatically uninteresting) on an overmatched mind, one that dimly aspires to something more than mere acquisition, but is slowly undone by a universe ineluctably prone to mischance, misunderstanding and just plain mischief. It requires time for Day-Lewis and Anderson to realistically explore the life-long processes of disillusion which is their film's true subject. But the promise their sometimes langorously paced film makes is openly stated in their title — yes, there will be blood. And when it comes it will more than reward whatever patience — and impatience — you have invested in this unique experience, one of the most wholly original American movies ever made." - Richard Shickel

User Opinion: "this is what movies are all about.  It might be the prettiest movie I've ever seen.  just perfection. " - Goffe

Personal Comment: Paul Thomas Anderson makes another appearance on our countdown with probably his best known and highly received works, There Will Be Blood.  There Will Be Blood is the 6th movies from the 2000s decade to make our list, and it is often viewed as one of the decades very finest.  The movie is a very slow work but a very rewarding one for those who are willing to sit down and truly watch it.  The movie is able to capitalize on the American Dream and Capitalist System by exploring some of the themes those entail through one of Capitalism's defining products, oil.  It is definitely a movie that is able to stand itself apart and not be forgotten.

• Like 14

Married life in UP is so good.

TWWBB-I consider this a case of a performance completely saving a movie.  If you have anyone else in the role it's a disaster. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Avengers is my favourite Marvel phase 2 film. No problem seeing it on top 100. 

Avengers is a phase 1 film.. it was the culmination of phase one, phase 2 didn't start until Iron Man 3. :smurfs:

• Like 1

Rocky - It's Fine not in my top 100 by any stretch

The Avengers - Just a Fun film unlike something more recent (Ultron I am looking at you!)

Up - marks my 2nd top 10 entry ahead of Wonderful Life - only 1 animated film is ahead of it in my book, pure perfection from start to finish.

There Will Be Blood - well what goes UP must come down.... @DAR was quite right this film is only saved by DDL's fantastic performance otherwise the film is bottom of the barrel

• Like 1

Number 65

Blade Runner (1982)

37 Points (12 Votes, Avg Score 43.2)

Blade_Runner_poster.jpg

"All I could do was sit there and watch him die."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (60, -5), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 89%

Box Office: 27.58m (80.49m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: In the futuristic year of 2019, Los Angeles has become a dark and depressing metropolis, filled with urban decay. Rick Deckard, an ex-cop, is a "Blade Runner". Blade runners are people assigned to assassinate "replicants". The replicants are androids that look like real human beings. When four replicants commit a bloody mutiny on the Off World colony, Deckard is called out of retirement to track down the androids. As he tracks the replicants, eliminating them one by one, he soon comes across another replicant, Rachel, who evokes human emotion, despite the fact that she's a replicant herself. As Deckard closes in on the leader of the replicant group, his true hatred toward artificial intelligence makes him question his own identity in this future world, including what's human and what's not human.

Critic Opinion: "I go back and forth on the question of whether or not this theme is presented with intelligence and sophistication and grace, or whether it's simply another iteration of one of the most ancient questions in science fiction "what does it mean to be human" given the illusion of depth because of the mind-boggling sophistication of the design. Hauer's work tends to favor the former (as does the shockingly great electronic score by Vangelis, all done up in dreamy minor keys); in the other cuts than the most recent, his confrontation with his creator is easily the most haunting moment in the film, and his final speech to Deckard is so forceful and poetic that I have, for myself, always found it quite easy to forgive how opaque and self-consciously artsy the whole thing is (though the dove that follows, that's a bridge too far). It's strange to think of such an arch, garishly German performance providing the film with its emotional and thematic spine, and yet that's what it comes down to: absent that presence, it's a gorgeous but glum manhunt noir hiding in another genre's clothes, terrific filmmaking but just short of real brilliance. Hauer pushes it over there: his sympathetic inhumanity and undisciplined emoting allow something unique and piercing to enter this exercise in style. That this is all the exact point can be seen, I think, in how Ford's performance changes in the last moments: he plays the final scene of the movie with a peerless kind of ambiguity that is seen nowhere else in his character and reflects, I think, what he has "learned" from Batty about being a person. This all taps into a very dense and nihilistic irony, I suppose, yet there's nothing that can fairly be called ironic about the rush of the last 10 or 15 minutes of the movie, and it takes a particularly weird kind of sincerity to end a movie that has been for its entire running time an exploration of surfaces and pre-packaged thoughts and feelings with its most sublime and humane gesture. And that, my friends, is what makes Blade Runner a masterpiece." - Tim Brayton

User Opinion: "My favorite aspect here is how the depth and philosophical musings evolved in the film's run time.  The questions posed were so subtle and yet so intoxicating.  So many films have attempted these questions but few have worked them to this effect.  The memories the replicants had opened up so many different avenues one's brains could ultimately travel down.  These are ponderings that I feel should remain private with the viewer.  The film presents these questions in a way that feels very personal and subjective.  

The music is in a way a perfect way to tie up the noir with the sci-fi.  it contained the melordramatic musings with noir along with some hints of techno for sci-fi.  So many great visuals to be had here with perfectly suited music to bring out emotion.  Perfect.

I feel like this is a once in a lifetime film.  This is very much a film that was made in the perfect time, place, and by the perfect people.  If you had the same people attempt to re-create the magic I have no doubt they would be unable to do so.  As with all cinema classics, this is what makes them so special.  There are so many unique factors besides talent that contribute to a film.  This is cinema magic across so many levels.  

It's Blade Runner...........enough said." - mattmav45

Personal Comment: Harrison Ford returns to our list in one of his more serious and nuanced roles of his career in Blade Runner.  Blade Runner moves the 80s number to 8 on our countdown, and it returns after it had previously only been featured in the 2014 countdown.  The movie also marks the first movie on our list from Sir Ridley Scott.  Blade Runner is a movie that takes time to digest and thus wasn't necessarily completely embraced or well-loved upon release, but it's one that you can always find more complexity and depth each time you re-visit it.  The movie is also commonly said to benefit from the full Final Cut, which gives the viewers more to chew on and makes the film feel more complete as a whole.  Blade Runner has become a classic dystopian staple into the sci-fi cinematic canon.

• Like 14

22 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 66

There Will Be Blood (2007)

37 Points (10 Votes, Avg Score 37.6)

there_will_be_blood_ver4.jpg

"I'm finished."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 3 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (99, +43), 2013 (34, -32), 2012 (27, -39)

Tomatometer: 91%

Box Office: 40.22m (48.07m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: The intersecting life stories of Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday in early twentieth century California presents miner-turned-oilman Daniel Plainview, a driven man who will do whatever it takes to achieve his goals. He works hard but also takes advantage of those around him at their expense if need be. His business partner/son (H.W.) is, in reality, an "acquired" child whose true biological single-parent father (working on one of Daniel's rigs) died in a workplace accident. Daniel is deeply protective of H.W. if only for what H.W. brings to the partnership. Eli Sunday is one in a pair of twins whose family farm Daniel purchases for the major oil deposit located on it. Eli, a local preacher and a self-proclaimed faith healer, wants the money from the sale of the property to finance his own church. The lives of the two competitive men often clash as Daniel pumps oil off the property and tries to acquire all the surrounding land at bargain prices to be able to build a pipeline to the coast, and as Eli tries to build his own religious empire.

Critic Opinion: "I've already heard people mumbling about There Will Be Blood's inordinate length (it's over two and a half hours long), about the fact that for long stretches nothing much seems to be happening. They are wrong, of course. Within these beautifully photographed (by Robert Elswit) landscapes, we are witnessing the impact of events (some of them by no means dramatically uninteresting) on an overmatched mind, one that dimly aspires to something more than mere acquisition, but is slowly undone by a universe ineluctably prone to mischance, misunderstanding and just plain mischief. It requires time for Day-Lewis and Anderson to realistically explore the life-long processes of disillusion which is their film's true subject. But the promise their sometimes langorously paced film makes is openly stated in their title — yes, there will be blood. And when it comes it will more than reward whatever patience — and impatience — you have invested in this unique experience, one of the most wholly original American movies ever made." - Richard Shickel

User Opinion: "this is what movies are all about.  It might be the prettiest movie I've ever seen.  just perfection. " - Goffe

Personal Comment: Paul Thomas Anderson makes another appearance on our countdown with probably his best known and highly received works, There Will Be Blood.  There Will Be Blood is the 6th movies from the 2000s decade to make our list, and it is often viewed as one of the decades very finest.  The movie is a very slow work but a very rewarding one for those who are willing to sit down and truly watch it.  The movie is able to capitalize on the American Dream and Capitalist System by exploring some of the themes those entail through one of Capitalism's defining products, oil.  It is definitely a movie that is able to stand itself apart and not be forgotten.

I have been meaning to watch this movie for ages, I always get it confused with No Country For Old Men, and I still haven't watched that either, and this has been on Netflix for ages.